Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: A-Rod-Selena Roberts Book

Though, if accurate, the small bit about ARod tipping opposing batters of upcoming pitches, so they would do the same for him, is about as damning steroid use.

Quote Originally Posted by cjclong View Post
    And the 300 pound bench press proves what? When I was a junior in college a number of years back I bench pressed 265. I guarantee all I trained on was protein and vitamins. If I could do 265 with my lack of athletic ability and size compared to ARod's I guarantee he could have easily done over 300 in high school without drugs.

According to additional reports on ESPN, it said that AROID went from benching 100 or so pounds between his Soph and Junior year to 300 in less than 6 months. I don't care who you are, you are not adding 150 - 200 pounds to your bench in 6 months unless you are on some serious juice. There is no way an average high school baseball player in 10th and 11th grade is benching over 300 pounds without loading up their ass full of something. I just don't buy that one for a second.
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

I agree that you don't normally make a 200 pound gain on the bench press in 6 months. The trouble is you don't make a 200 pound gain in 6 months if you are on steroids either. You don't make a 200 pound gain period. If he could that he would have been pressing 1,000 by the time he was an adult. These "reports" need to be checked out before they are accepted as truth.

cjclong,
    I agree with you that these reports need to be checked out. It's coming from one person saying A-rod took steroids in high school. And same with the yankees report one unknown person saying they seen Kevin and A-rod with HGH.

I agree that you don't normally make a 200 pound gain on the bench press in 6 months. The trouble is you don't make a 200 pound gain in 6 months if you are on steroids either. You don't make a 200 pound gain period. If he could that he would have been pressing 1,000 by the time he was an adult. These "reports" need to be checked out before they are accepted as truth.

In truth too, although I never benched close to 300 pounds, if he was only pushing up 100 pounds in 10th/11th grade, that is what the bar and two 25 pound plates. Not too impressive for a person of his physical size and specimen even when he was that young. Somebody somewhere is off but then again, this was what 20 plus years ago and somebody is certainly trying to sell some books and the more outrageous, the better it sounds.
    Brett Herman

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

You said the "average" 12th grader would not be pressing 300 pounds. Who ever said ARod was average. The average high school player doesn't wind up in the big leagues either. If I who have small to medium bone structure in my wrist and who used a very poor workout plan could bench 265 for one rep I have no doubt a high school player with ARods build could do 300. As I said, I agree that you couldn't gain 200 pounds on the bench press in 6 months without steroids, but you couldn't gain that much with them either. Sounds like someone is lying about how much ARod gained or he was lying about how much he gained to someone.

You said the "average" 12th grader would not be pressing 300 pounds. Who ever said ARod was average. The average high school player doesn't wind up in the big leagues either. If I who have small to medium bone structure in my wrist and who used a very poor workout plan could bench 265 for one rep I have no doubt a high school player with ARods build could do 300. As I said, I agree that you couldn't gain 200 pounds on the bench press in 6 months without steroids, but you couldn't gain that much with them either. Sounds like someone is lying about how much ARod gained or he was lying about how much he gained to someone.

Who knows this whole thing is stupidity. Sports reporting is becoming a national tabloid especially when it comes to the biggest name athletes. That being said, players need to use common sense. If you are making the kind of money that these guys do, there is something to be said about how you conduct yourself in public. There will no doubt be a reporter hiding behind every tree. That is the price to be paid for fame and fortune. I know that high school football players could do a 300 pound bench but something strikes me as odd that a high school baseball player could normally do so. I must admit, you are pretty amazing to be pushing up that much iron. I could probably do 5 reps at 175 pounds at that age if I was lucky and I am 6'4 and weigh 235 pounds. At that age I was 6'1 and probably 180. If you were pushing 245 that is very impressive as my good friend who is somewhat of a workout fanatic was only doing 210 back in high school and he is or was a big time weight guy.
    Brett Herman

mr.miracle,
    You know a-rod was also a good football player in high school and college.

If he was found to be tipping pitches to opponents, he's done. This is the ultimate insult to the game and teammates. If you think steroids were bad for the game, this is really bad. I'm sure MLB will do whatever they can to cover this up if its true.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?eref=T1

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    mr.miracle,
    You know a-rod was also a good football player in high school and college.
    Arod could not have been a good football(or baseball) player in college- he never went