Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

A-Rod-Selena Roberts Book

Well according to ESPN in the book about A-Rod by Selena Roberts, it says he may have taken steroids in high school. And they also said in the book that A-Rod and Kevin Brown took steroids in 2004, with scources from two yankees. I was going to defend him but if this stuff is true forget him. Do you think these rumors could affect his game used prices more.

Re: A-Rod-Selena Roberts Book

Report: Book says A-Rod may have juiced in H.S.

NEW YORK (AP)—Alex Rodriguez may have been using steroids when he was a highly touted high school player and was suspected of using performance-enhancers while playing for the New York Yankees, according to a soon-to-be-released book.

The Daily News reported in Thursday’s edition that Sports Illustrated writer Selena Roberts’ upcoming book “A-Rod” offers an unflattering portrait of the MVP slugger as a needy personality who wanted his ego stroked constantly.

The paper doesn’t say how it obtained a copy of the Harper Collins book, scheduled to be released on May 12.

A high school teammate of A-Rod’s told Roberts that the future No. 1 draft pick was on steroids as a prep player and his coach knew it—an allegation the coach, Rich Hoffman, denied.

Rodriguez has admitted to using performance-enhancers while with the Texas Rangers but insists he gave up the habit when he was traded to the Yankees in 2004.

In the book, however, an unnamed major leaguer is quoted as saying A-Rod and former Yankees pitcher Kevin Brown, who was named in the Mitchell Report, were seen together with human growth hormone—or HGH—in 2004.

The book also goes on to say that two anonymous Yankees said they believed A-Rod was using banned substances based on visual side effects, and that a clubhouse staffer said management had a suspicion that that the third baseman may have been juicing.

Banned

this part of the book stood out most for me:

"He was even hated at Hooters, where he tipped the minimum 15%, the book says."

Quote Originally Posted by quiggle28 View Post
    this part of the book stood out most for me:

"He was even hated at Hooters, where he tipped the minimum 15%, the book says."
    The one consistent thing I've heard about arod over the years is that he is greedy.

In my posts I've been tough on major league players for being overpaid, and I do think players like ARod are vastly overpaid, but to attack someone FOR leaving a 15% tip is crap. To criticize if he didn't tip that would be one thing but FOR tipping 15%, give me a break. Why not complain that he didn't pay $1,000 for a hamburger. Geeez. If that is what is in this book it sounds like a hit job.

Guys....I think the Hooters tipping comment was made in jest

Banned

Hooters food isnt that great anyway lol lol

Quote Originally Posted by cjclong View Post
    In my posts I've been tough on major league players for being overpaid, and I do think players like ARod are vastly overpaid, but to attack someone FOR leaving a 15% tip is crap. To criticize if he didn't tip that would be one thing but FOR tipping 15%, give me a break. Why not complain that he didn't pay $1,000 for a hamburger. Geeez. If that is what is in this book it sounds like a hit job.
    I think many famous people tip much better than us common folk, because they make so much. Maybe it's just expected.

Banned

A good friend of mine is employed in the front office of the Seattle Mariners. This person has worked there since 1987. He's told me countless stories about A-Roid that leave me shaking my head. Everything from being late to a pre-game "meet and great" for disabled children (where he showed up 90 minutes late and refused to meet the kids) to refusing to attaend local charites that are supported by the M's. Likewise, he said that it was well known within the organization that the other Mariner's hated him when he was there. They felt that everything he did was staged for the cameras and every move was well calculated to get him in front of the camera as much as possible.

Add to the fact that he sells every possible piece of equipment he can get his hands on (jocks, shower flip flops, etc.) and it leaves many in the hobby shaking their heads as well.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@comcast.net

Was the Hooter's tipping comment in the book or not? If it wasn't it should not have been presented as if it was, especially since the book hasn't circulated yet. I've objected to athletes making excessive amounts of money , but I don't see any reason for a person to overpay or over tip just because they are wealthy. Is a wealthy person who tips 15% and gives a lot of money to charity a bad guy, I don't see that. (I'm not saying ARod does, I don't know) When I go to restaurants and I have young people serving me who appear to be trying to get through school by working I frequently try to leave them something extra. But I don't think anyone would have the right to be mad if I didn't. But I'll leave this as we've gotten pretty far off topic.