Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Opinions wanted on this '03 Marlins jersey

This was the other jersey in the Dontrelle Willis lot of two that I won in GFC's recent auction. According to the understated listing it is a 2003 game used alternate with a 100th Anniversary World Series patch so I guess that would make it a WS jersey. I've seen a couple different kinds of tagging on Willis Russell jerseys and this one is the right size but doesn't have the +2 extra length tag that I've seen on others. I haven't seen the jersey in person yet but I wanted to get folks opinions on the chances that this could actually be a WS jersey.

The other jersey in the lot was MLB Authenticated and was the one I really wanted so I have no questions about that one. The autograph looks good on this one but at this point I'm somewhat skeptical about it otherwise. Maybe Game Issued or possible retail??

Re: Opinions wanted on this '03 Marlins jersey

Wow. I'm assuming that photo shows the jersey buttoned up. If so, isn't the lettering too far off across both sides to even be used? Should be easy to photomatch if it was used.
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    Wow. I'm assuming that photo shows the jersey buttoned up. If so, isn't the lettering too far off across both sides to even be used? Should be easy to photomatch if it was used.
    I think it's just a bad button job when they took the pics.

Oh man, you may have a match. Congrats!!! Game 1 photo. The letters are definitely off on the game jersey, not a button issue!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

I take back the bad button job. Here go some frontal shots of Willis from the '03 series. Lettering on his jersey looks a little off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    Oh man, you may have a match. Congrats!!! Game 1 photo. The letters are definitely off on the game jersey, not a button issue!
    Rob, Thanks for posting the pic. You beat me to the punch!

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey2007 View Post
    Rob, Thanks for posting the pic. You beat me to the punch!
    Awesome. I'm glad for you. I think you will have no problem matching your jersey up when you receive it. Very nice!!!
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

All,

Sorry to rain on this parade, but I am not 100% sure about this jersey. Here is a link to a game used 2003 Marlins jersey for sale right now (BPH). Notice the tagging which includes a strip tag that contains the player name and number.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Blaine-Neal-2003-Florida-Marlins-game-used-jersey_W0QQitemZ220223098610QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item334651cef2&_trksid=p3286. c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A16|39%3A1|240%3A1318| 301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

I have a 2003 Marlins black alternate jersey of Bill Robinson in storage. I don't have it photo'd, but I can dig it out this week & verify if mine has the same strip tags.

Would it be possible that the regular season jerseys would have 1 type of tagging and the post season jerseys contain another??

Nick
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by TNTtoys View Post
    All,

Sorry to rain on this parade, but I am not 100% sure about this jersey. Here is a link to a game used 2003 Marlins jersey for sale right now (BPH). Notice the tagging which includes a strip tag that contains the player name and number.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Blaine-Neal-2003-Florida-Marlins-game-used-jersey_W0QQitemZ220223098610QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item334651cef2&_trksid=p3286. c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A16|39%3A1|240%3A1318| 301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

I have a 2003 Marlins black alternate jersey of Bill Robinson in storage. I don't have it photo'd, but I can dig it out this week & verify if mine has the same strip tags.

Would it be possible that the regular season jerseys would have 1 type of tagging and the post season jerseys contain another??

Nick
    Your not raining on my parade as I'd like to get more solid info before I call this a WS jersey. The Getty pics look compelling but...

I did see the jersey on BPH you mentioned and I have seen a couple of '03 Willis jersey tagged differently. One that was sold on AMI had the same strip tagging your talking about. An '03 grey road jersey in a recent Hunt Auction was a size 50 w/ +2" extra length tagging. This jersey lacks the extra length tagging but is a size 52 so maybe the team didn't have time to get Willis a custom jersey for the short time it was going to be worn.

One theory is maybe they gave all of the players new jerseys for the WS and this is how they were tagged. In 2003 NLCS photos they were still wearing jerseys with their 10th Anniversary patch so unless they stripped off all of those patches and replaced them with WS patches the team may have just gotten new jersey made up for each player for the series.

Does anyone out there own a 2003 Marlins WS jersey that they could share pics of?? I seen a pic on Getty of Ivan Rodriguez with the tagging showing but it was to blurry to make out.

Here goes a WS pic of Ivan Rodriguez. No strip tagging on his jersey and it looks similar to the Willis tagging but to hard to tell for sure. Funny thing is the lettering on the front of his jersey looks off like the Willis one too.