Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Will Gary Sheffield make it to the HOF?

I was wondering if any one thinks Sheffield will make it to the HOF. I knwo the steriod deal is definitely a strike against him, and the 500 club seems like it's becoming less and less "great" as more players do it. What do you guys think? thanks, Ricardo
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Banned

Re: Will Gary Sheffield make it to the HOF?

I think in all honesty that is a questioned to be asked after Sheffield retires. Who knows how long his career is going to keep going and how much he will pad on his stats. s of now I say he has a decent shot. Maybe not a first ballot but maybe a second or third time around. I think 500 hr used to be the garunatee mark as you mentioned but now as more players are doing it maybe 550 or 600 will be the mark. Which in case if Sheff lasts another season or 2, he could pull it off.

In my opinion he has no shot of getting in. He will always be linked to Bonds and Balco and that will surely hurt him. Just my two cents.

He'll make the HOF in about 10 years after he retires, when all the kids who watched him play are in their 30s, become sportswriters and have a vote.

*in your best Flava Flav voice:
    "so get up and get, get down...the H-O-F is a joke in your town-
    H-O-F is a joke..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mac670 View Post
    In my opinion he has no shot of getting in. He will always be linked to Bonds and Balco and that will surely hurt him. Just my two cents.
    Bingo. Not to mention his reputation for being a cancer in every club for which he has played.
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

While I agree that more players have joined the 500 HR club in the past decade, I disagree that the bar will be raised as before this recent run on 500 (and 500 being a 1st ballot marker), 400 HRs was a major mark.

In fact, with two MVPs and how he played the game and such, if Dale Murphy had been able to hit his 400th while finishing his career with the Rockies, he probably would have been given more consideration than he has - and possibly be in the Hall with some of the weaker classes they have had since the early '90s.

Just my .02 on that...

As far as Shef, I think the 'steroids era' and his attitude will be the biggest hurdles to him making the Hall.

- Chris

No

The guys on Baseball Tonight think that he is a HOF, some of which have a vote.

Then again, they think Schilling is a HOF'er as well and will be voting for him.

Quote Originally Posted by ndevlin View Post
    The guys on Baseball Tonight think that he is a HOF, some of which have a vote.

Then again, they think Schilling is a HOF'er as well and will be voting for him.
    Seldom do the BT experts say "So and so" is not a hall of famer. They are overly favorable and diplomatic on that show. I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if Shef makes it. The 500 HR mark does not make a player a lock any longer. Shef brings a lot of baggage with him to the HoF vote.
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Whether you think Sheff should be voted in or not, it will be particularly interesting to see how he is viewed by the BBWAA.

He had the ability to be a Hall of Fame player, barring steroid aid, hitting 500 homers is still a MONUMENTAL feat in the game.....but this era has seen a bunch of those guys, ans the first major basher to get to the voters (McGwire) has not fared well. But it's early.

The real question with Sheff is: How will his past racial comments and gripes be viewed by the voters? Or, because Gary always throws the race card around, will the voters automatically avoid that issue for politically correct reasons alone? That issue alone makes his "consideration for the Hall" a whole different discussion.....talent-wise, I think he's done enough in his career to squeek in....the other issues mentioned will no doubt keep him out for a few years...

Anyway you look at it, the next 4-6 years are going to be really interesting. I can't wait to see how the voters handle Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens. These should turn out to be the two most controversial "votes for the Hall" in the history of the sport. McGwire is still being punished because he just won't come clean. He would most definately be forgiven because he was a tremendous ambassador for the game, and a likeable guy. But people just won't accept his lack of contrision of what we all know. He may blow his chance to get into the Hall if he doesn't change his stance.....come clean Mark, the Hall will follow. If ANYONE will be forgiven, it will be YOU.

Time will heal this "steroid era". It got out of hand, the record books were assaulted, but we all know, and the timeframe in this great game will always be acknowledged and recognized for what it was; A group of chemically morphisized giants who stepped over natural human boundaries to improve their performances on the field.

And unfortunately for Gary Sheffield, he will grouped into that category because of his brief stint of friendship with Barry Bonds, and self admission that he used. Who knows what the real truth is.