Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: ARod and allegations of pitch tipping

Here's some of whats written in the book:

In an effort to improve his statistics, Rodriguez allegedly tipped pitches to opposing middle infielders in the hope that they would later return the favor.

"Before the Texas pitcher's windup, Alex, with his left arm hanging by his side, would twist his glove back and forth as if turning a dial on a safe's lock," the book reads. "Then the hitter knew: a changeup was on the way. Alex would also sweep dirt with his cleat to tip a slider to a batter."

Roberts also describes how Rodriguez would contort his body to signal where in the strike zone the pitcher was aiming.

"Few Rangers were aware it was going on," Roberts writes, "but those who did were maddened by it."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Quote Originally Posted by mwbosoxfan View Post
    Guess again -

Although Rodriguez committed interference, there is no language in the rulebook that is available to the public that prohibits a runner from using his hands to avoid a tag or any other reason. It is, however, outlined in the supplemental rulebook given to umpires in section 6.1. It reads: "While contact may occur between a fielder and runner during a tag attempt, a runner is not allowed to use his hands or arms to commit an obviously malicious or unsportsmanlike act--such as grabbing, tackling, intentionally slapping at the baseball, punching, kicking, flagrantly using his arms or forearms, etc. to commit an intentional act of interference unrelated to running the bases."

Notice the rule allows for contact. If Rodriguez lowered his shoulder and ran over Arroyo, this would have been perfectly legal.

I'm not a major league umpire or a rules expert for that matter, but I remember seeing this article in Baseball Digest. It was written by Rich Marazzi in 2005.

I think that this would have been problematic on several fronts. First, Arroyo was not directly in front of Rodriguez. Any effort to run him over would have taken him well out of the baseline in which case he would have been ruled out.

Secondly, given the volatile history between both clubs, I would love to see this one happen. If Rodriguez had run out of the baseline and run Arroyo over this would have probably incited a full scale bench clearing brawl. I would have loved to have seen Steinbrenner running down from the owners box with his prized AROD toy bat taking swings at Big Papi.
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

I want toknow the names of these players who were maddened by A-rod tipping off pitches. Ain't it funny that everything in her book is coming from a unknown source or a player who wont say his name.

Journalists NEVER reveal their sources. They go to jail to keep their sources anonymous. If a journalist were to give up a source, they would never ever get a story again.
    Always looking for Jack Hannahan or St. Paul Saints gamers:

www.jackhannahan.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    I want toknow the names of these players who were maddened by A-rod tipping off pitches. Ain't it funny that everything in her book is coming from a unknown source or a player who wont say his name.
    Woodward & Bernstein never revealed their source (BTW, that's not a double play combination)

The book says players were maddened by ARod tipping pitches so they did what? Nothing. The Rangers manger Buck Showalter and ARod did not get along. Why didn't the players who were so angry go to the manager or other people in the organization and say ARod is hurting our team alsotell the pitchers whose pitches were being tipped and who would have been the most directly affected. If they thought ARod was tipping pitches and were so upset they could have got it stopped quick. There is something about this that doesn't pass the smell test. As far as anonymous sources, a journalist doesn't have to tell. But when a source won't reveal themselves we need some corroboration, some other evidence their story is true to take them serioulsy. It would be as if someone wrote they had been told one of the forum members, could be any of us, cheated another forum member. When asked who the person who made the accusation was they won't say who told them or who the member allegdly cheated or when . We would all be highly angry if we were accused of wrong doing by an annonymos person with no proof. And yet so many people accept these accusations of others without any question.

How many millions of dollars are the Rangers paying Miss Pay-Roid to play for the Yankee$ (the richest team in the league, lest we forget)? Doesn't that sound to you like a guy being run out of town on a rail?

And as to the "slap" against the Red $ox: as someone who had his left thumb bent back until it was almost touching his forearm on a play at the plate, I can tell you that hurts a lot more than being blown up by a runner (guy tried to tackle the glove to knock the ball out in a softball game...I had him dead to rights otherwise). Almost a decade later, I still don't have the same range of motion in my left thumb as in my right.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtime59 View Post
    How many millions of dollars are the Rangers paying Miss Pay-Roid to play for the Yankee$
    $0.00

Quote Originally Posted by bigtime59 View Post
    How many millions of dollars are the Rangers paying Miss Pay-Roid to play for the Yankee$ (the richest team in the league, lest we forget)? Doesn't that sound to you like a guy being run out of town on a rail?

And as to the "slap" against the Red $ox: as someone who had his left thumb bent back until it was almost touching his forearm on a play at the plate, I can tell you that hurts a lot more than being blown up by a runner (guy tried to tackle the glove to knock the ball out in a softball game...I had him dead to rights otherwise). Almost a decade later, I still don't have the same range of motion in my left thumb as in my right.
    And there it is again, another name for AROID. And again, I say this man has more nicknames than Apollo Creed in Rocky IV. So, let me see, we are at PayRod, PayROID, AROID, AHOLE, ABOMB, Miss Pay Roid, and which other ones am I missing. Perhaps A Dummy because at the end of the day, this guy just cannot stop doing stupid stuff. If AROID is hiring a new PR firm I am all for the job. Heck, I can't do any worse than the guys advising him now. I just cannot figure out of his PR staff is that dumb or AROID himself is that dumb and just won't listen to anyone.
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.miracle View Post
    which other ones am I missing.
    Whithout thinking too hard, A-Fraud and BitchTits (names given by Yankee teammates).