Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Polyurethane finish on LVS....

I have a lead on a pujols game used bat. Bat looks great, and would make a solid addition to my collection. Seller informed me of it's polyurethane finish which Pujols only ordered once. Which if true would make this a truly rare piece. I was just never aware of the polyurethane finish on any gamers. Can anyone offer any insight on this for me?? Here are a couple pics to check out.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: Polyurethane finish on LVS....

That was our UV finish, it's a type of Urethane finish, but as you can see it had issues.
    Brian Hillerich

Here's what I can tell you about this bat. First, refer to this thread about the Smith finish and the cracking the resulted -- BMH's posts (#14, 16 and 19) explain the process and the problems: http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ghlight=finish

Pujols' records show one order of bats with a SMITHG finish. Not sure what the G at the end means -- I always assumed Galen or Gwynn. Whatever the case, it's the only order of Pujols bats that mentions the SMITH finish in any form. That order for 12 bats was shipped 3/9/04. They're I13L models, no cup, ash, 34" long and 32 ounces. If the bat in question matches these specs, it could be from that particular order.

Whether Pujols actually used the bat in a game is an entirely different issue...

Jeff,

Yes it is the exact specs and is the I13L. I have tried getty images to try and find a match with no luck. I guess there really is no way to know 100% if this bat was ever game used. Hmmmm....tough one.

One other piece of info is it coes with a grey flannel COA from Keith Vari from lelands as well as a gameusedbat.com COA. I have asked the seller to send me a couple scans of these to check them out. I'll post them if he comes through.

The code we use for this finish is 2ENAT, the problem is all his orders for it were from 2005. I'm pretty sure we already shut the line down by then.
    Brian Hillerich

seems there are too many questions, than answers to spend the money on this bat. Guess my search for a pujols continues.......blah!!!!

BMH,

How long was that finish avaiable? I have 3 Jason Giambi G174's with the cracked finish and would like to determine when they were used.

Thank you
    Wade

wahboom22@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by BMH View Post
    That was our UV finish, it's a type of Urethane finish, but as you can see it had issues.
    The seller has come through with the COA's. Here they are. He has also told me he may have photomatched this and sent me a couple images. Kyle, he mentioned your name specifically about trying to photomatch it. Now what does everyone think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm not saying it was never put on the bat. We used that coating for 3yrs. before production issues forced us to stop. Now in my records I have none for him getting the UV finish in 2003, all were no finish. BUT!!! That doesn't mean our head rep who is a friend of Pujol's didn't have them coated with them to try and make them "harder".

Giambi always ordered that finish, he is the last person we put the finish on before we shut down the line. In fact, my Giambi bat has the UV finish on it as well.
    Brian Hillerich