Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bettis Helmet

Re: Bettis Helmet

Quote Originally Posted by helmets View Post
    Ebay cancelled the bid. It was an "administrative cancellation"
    I'm showing it as still active.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=170329428994

Yes, the helmet is still active. Ebay canceled one of the bids...

A couple observations on this helmet. The mask is the heavy - thick coated Armor-Guard. Bettis to my knowledge never wore an Armor-Guard mask. Most of the skilled players in the NFL during the 90's and through the last few years wore the thinner coated poly vinyl or Vinyl-Guard coating offered by Schutt. In addition, Riddell did not come out with their deep cup chinstrap until 2004 I believe, which is around the time that Bettis switched from an Adams Pro-100 chinstrap to the Riddell. What strikes me most is the postition of the side logo decal. The Steelers position this decal much lower than what is offered by Riddell in their Proline series as well as where most "decal slappers" postion the decal on the non-licensed "pirated" helmets that they produce and offer on ebay. When looking at the "Bettis" helmet offered, the side decal is postioned higher than what Bettis or the Steelers wore or currently wear. Here is some photos of the positioning of the logo decal. The decal is typically positioned so that the bottom edge is on the outside edge of the "ridge" of the ear hole on the Schutt helmets - as best seen in the 2005 closeup photo. You will notice both the 2001 and 2002 photos taken during the preseason do not show the numbers on the helmet.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

thanks vikings
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikingshelmetguy View Post
    I looked on Ebay and found out the definition of an administrative cancellation: "Administrative Cancellation" is the cancellation of a bid by eBay due to administrative reasons, such as when a bidder becomes unregistered.

Great insight helmets,thanks...
    Yes, the helmet is still active. Ebay canceled one of the bids...

A couple observations on this helmet. The mask is the heavy - thick coated Armor-Guard. Bettis to my knowledge never wore an Armor-Guard mask. Most of the skilled players in the NFL during the 90's and through the last few years wore the thinner coated poly vinyl or Vinyl-Guard coating offered by Schutt. In addition, Riddell did not come out with their deep cup chinstrap until 2004 I believe, which is around the time that Bettis switched from an Adams Pro-100 chinstrap to the Riddell. What strikes me most is the postition of the side logo decal. The Steelers position this decal much lower than what is offered by Riddell in their Proline series as well as where most "decal slappers" postion the decal on the non-licensed "pirated" helmets that they produce and offer on ebay. When looking at the "Bettis" helmet offered, the side decal is postioned higher than what Bettis or the Steelers wore or currently wear. Here is some photos of the positioning of the logo decal. The decal is typically positioned so that the bottom edge is on the outside edge of the "ridge" of the ear hole on the Schutt helmets - as best seen in the 2005 closeup photo. You will notice both the 2001 and 2002 photos taken during the preseason do not show the numbers on the helmet.

Helmet has been relisted with an "interesting" explanation as to why.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PITTSBURGH-STEEL...3A1%7C294%3A50

Quote Originally Posted by hrvatwill View Post
    Helmet has been relisted with an "interesting" explanation as to why.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PITTSBURGH-STEEL...3A1%7C294%3A50
    to ebay seller:

your helmet was manufactured in 2001 and most likely wouldn't have been ready for use until the 2002 season. as such you could not have received it in the mid '90s as your ebay states - could it be that you received it in the early 2000s?

from ebay seller:

as far as it being from the 2000's i'm not sure but i do have 2 steelers helmets so i must have gotten them mixed up some how ....well i guess i will end this auction early if it will let me now i think there has to be 12 hours remaining or you can't end it but thanks for straigtning this out for me i will relist it differently next time ....thanks again for your help !!!

robert

Quote Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
    to ebay seller:

your helmet was manufactured in 2001 and most likely wouldn't have been ready for use until the 2002 season. as such you could not have received it in the mid '90s as your ebay states - could it be that you received it in the early 2000s?

from ebay seller:

as far as it being from the 2000's i'm not sure but i do have 2 steelers helmets so i must have gotten them mixed up some how ....well i guess i will end this auction early if it will let me now i think there has to be 12 hours remaining or you can't end it but thanks for straigtning this out for me i will relist it differently next time ....thanks again for your help !!!

I have to give the seller some credit. It was great of Robert/Aeneas01 to contact the Seller to tell him that it appears his helmet is not really Bettis' helmet. At that point, with 8 bids already placed totaling a nice amount of money, and with the auction having only 12 hours to go til its end, the seller could have easily blown off Robert/Aeneas01's e-mail, and he could have taken the money and ran. While I still think the revised story he has reposted on Ebay of how he got one helmet mixed up with another one in his collection is kind of hard to fathom, at least he called off the original auction and now has relisted it and presented the helmet as not necessarily being Jerome Bettis' helmet, but likely the helmet of some other player... One thing is for sure, this auction/helmet generated a lot of fun and interesting fodder and discussion for all of us NFL helmet-loving geeks here in the GUU game used discussion forum! Note to anyone who might misconstrue my reference to "NFL helmet-loving geeks", that is meant as a term of camaraderie/endearment, and is not meant to be a shot/criticism (I myself am an NFL helmet-loving geek)!

Quote Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
    to ebay seller:

from ebay seller:

I have a "helmet-loving-geek" friend of mine. He would have two lines for this...

"mamma mia"
    and
    "good grief"

Sorry vikings,i have liked what you have said about this topic,but im not with you on giving any credit to this seller,as they have lost all credit with me.I hate to talk bad about anyone trying to sell thier items,but come on.Am i the only one not buying this now revised story?To me it does'nt matter if he ended the auction or would've just completed it.Because now i really question this.And as far as being fair about the bidders on it,they already bidded thinking it was indeed a bettis helmet.It's up to the buyer to know what they are buying,and if those who bidded thought what they were bidding on was authentic,then go ahead bid on it,and if turns out it was'nt bettis helmet,which the seller admits,well they got what they derserved.Know what you're buying.And to now say they had two helmets and got them confused,my question to them is,can i see pictures of the bettis helmet?Then i might believe thier story.And on a another note,if you confused the helmets,why would'nt you now list the bettis helmet.This whole thing now just is funny to me
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikingshelmetguy View Post
    I have to give the seller some credit. It was great of Robert/Aeneas01 to contact the Seller to tell him that it appears his helmet is not really Bettis' helmet. At that point, with 8 bids already placed totaling a nice amount of money, and with the auction having only 12 hours to go til its end, the seller could have easily blown off Robert/Aeneas01's e-mail, and he could have taken the money and ran. While I still think the revised story he has reposted on Ebay of how he got one helmet mixed up with another one in his collection is kind of hard to fathom, at least he called off the original auction and now has relisted it and presented the helmet as not necessarily being Jerome Bettis' helmet, but likely the helmet of some other player... One thing is for sure, this auction/helmet generated a lot of fun and interesting fodder and discussion for all of us NFL helmet-loving geeks here in the GUU game used discussion forum! Note to anyone who might misconstrue my reference to "NFL helmet-loving geeks", that is meant as a term of camaraderie/endearment, and is not meant to be a shot/criticism (I myself am an NFL helmet-loving geek)!

I have a "helmet-loving-geek" friend of mine. He would have two lines for this...

"mamma mia"
    and
    "good grief"

have fun with jimbo - tilt one back for me!

robert