Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bettis Helmet

Bettis Helmet

Re: Bettis Helmet

I noticed this one too. I am not a Steelers fan or expert, and (besides the Vikings) I don't know all the subtle details of other teams helmets like Robert/Aeneas01 does, but it seems that a glaring omission from this helmet is the usual Steelers player ID numbers that are posted on the front or back of the helmet (depeding what year the Steelers helmet is). I think in most pictures I have seen of Bettis, his helmets always have white #36 number decals pasted onto the front of the helmet. This helmet lacks such player number decals... The game wear, mask and warning label look somewhat convincing, however.... I'd be intersted to find out what conclusions/input that Robert/Aeneas01 might have about this helmet.

To my knowledge the Steelers wear numbers on the front and back during the regular season and only on the back during preseason (at least it was that way at one time, I haven't researched recently).

Quote Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
    To my knowledge the Steelers wear numbers on the front and back during the regular season and only on the back during preseason (at least it was that way at one time, I haven't researched recently).
    I don't think they wear the numbers during training camp, which would jive with the story.

I recall Bettis wearing a Riddell all-black chinstrap, but as I recall, it was with black padding and front snubber as well. With the white padding, I believe he wore an Adams pro 100 with a black cup and white straps.

Yes, I have heard some far-fetched stories on how people obtain helmets, and this one ranks right up there. A decent price if there would be a way to prove that it was a Bettis helmet, but if it isn't, you're out a grand for a beat up Pro Air II.

Pretty easy helmet to duplicate. For much less, one could obtain a beat up Pro Air II that looks identical to the one in the photos -with or without the 36's. The only thing you will have to do is make up the story...

I'm no helmet expert,but i am a lifetime steelers fan.And i can't ever recall bettis wearing a all black chin strap like that.People can check that getty site they always mention on here to see if there are any pictures of him wearing it.I'm not saying if it's authentic or if it isnt,but like "helmets" said-it's a great pick up if it is and if it isn't,well than you just bought a normal helmet way over the value of it.Problem is,there is no way to prove either way,all you can do is go by what you believe.And i also go by the sellers feedback also,and i email the seller and ask questions.

I've done some extensive Bettis helmet homework recently, because I was about to buy one. This was mentioned before, but Bettis never wore a chinstrap with a black cup and black straps (pretty sure colored straps are against the NFL uniform code). During the 1996-1997 seasons, Bettis did wear an Adams chinstrap with white straps and black cup a few times. And Bettis wore an Adams chinstrap all the way up until 2004, when he switched to Riddell. Bettis always wore a size large chinstrap with Riddell, which means the cup has 4 air vents in it. This chinstrap shown is a size medium (only 2 air vents in the cup), and can be picked up anywhere. Another giveaway is the placement of the upper chinstrap hookup in relation to the Steelers logo decal. The snap is positioned way too low...it should be at the height of the "blue star" on the decal. Shocked that something this bad could get a bid, let alone a few hundred dollars??

I need to revise what I wrote...I stand corrected. In Oct-Dec of 1998, Bettis did wear a black chinstrap with black cup to my surprise. Before October of that year he had white straps, and went back to white straps in 1999.

Really,i don't ever recall bettis wearing a totally black chin strap.I'll have to go back threw my steelers game tape libary threw those dates and look.I guess jhunt,you proved me wrong.And as far as people bidding on it,that's no surprise to me,some people just take people's word for something being authentic.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhunt28 View Post
    I need to revise what I wrote...I stand corrected. In Oct-Dec of 1998, Bettis did wear a black chinstrap with black cup to my surprise. Before October of that year he had white straps, and went back to white straps in 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by jobathenut View Post
    Really,i don't ever recall bettis wearing a totally black chin strap.I'll have to go back threw my steelers game tape libary threw those dates and look.I guess jhunt,you proved me wrong.And as far as people bidding on it,that's no surprise to me,some people just take people's word for something being authentic.
    Put a search for "Jerome Bettis 1998" into Getty Images and there are a load of photos of him from the 1998 season which show Bettis wearing a helmet with an all black chin strap and black chin guard. Attached are photos. It's starting to look like this Bettis helmet on Ebay just might be legit:
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Now that I look more closely, here is one difference between the helmet on Ebay and the Bettis photos I have posted. Notice the white helmet brand section on the front of the helmet on the Ebay helmet, while the photos of Bettis from 1998 do not have that white section. Not to say the Ebay helmet is not legit, but just pointing out that the Ebay helmet is not quite a photo match with photos of Bettis from 1998. Could be his helmet from another season, perhaps....
    Attached Images Attached Images