Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Re: True Dodger Blue Manny Fan

Am I crazy, if for nothing more than representing the other side here, for thinking for a minute that Manny indeed was given this drug by a physician for a real personal problem? And not only that, but that he has the rare personality type that he'd rather take the 50 games and lay low and be lazy than he would fight it and find himself in the middle of another media circus?

Although this drug is commonly used to mask steroid use, it has indeed been used for other issues. And it makes all the sense in the world that it was givent to him from a doctor in Florida... the same place all of his family and friends reside. If you had a "personal problem" and were a classically introverted personality as Manny is... would you run to the team doctor or open the LA phone book to fix your problem? For a guy that doesn't take trust lightly... do you trust your inner circle and attempt to fly under the radar or do you trust your new home some 3,000 miles away?

I'm not suggesting I believe he is not guilty of something mirroring traditional PED use... but I will be one of the few that gives this story it's fair share of time to play out.

I've got some pretty bats too and my ears are generally open...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Regardless of the strong feelings yesterday and today... if this proves to be his lone run-in with the PED police and he contributes as the Dodgers make the playoffs, threatens 600hr and 2000rbi - he's still a first ballot HOF'er. He's obviously going to go down as one of the more crazy/interesting guys to ever play the game, but he's far from the Bonds and Clemens of the world in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by nationals2k9 View Post
    Regardless of the strong feelings yesterday and today... if this proves to be his lone run-in with the PED police and he contributes as the Dodgers make the playoffs, threatens 600hr and 2000rbi - he's still a first ballot HOF'er. He's obviously going to go down as one of the more crazy/interesting guys to ever play the game, but he's far from the Bonds and Clemens of the world in my opinion.
    This issue is already keeping people from the Hall of fame, 1st ballot at least. Manny won't care about the Hall of Fame as soon as he finds out there is no extra $$ in it for him.

Tell ya a story. I have friend (yes, I do have friends) who was at one of those second-rated sports fairs last year and some poor guys shows up with a Mark McGwire GU bat. He said he paid thousands for it and wanted to sell it for a couple hundred dollars. My friend said nope. I agreed. I could care less if it was GU or not, I don't believe that McGwire was a baseball player, he just hit home runs on steriods, that's it.

First, batter-up, someone tell me why raider's bat isn't real. I'm an idiot if I buy a GU Manny bat that isn't a GU Manny bat, but, if it's real, a Manny GU bat that's not cracked, I'll buy it.

IF Manny was using the drug to mask steroid use he was being a cheat. Other players have caught hell for using steroids BEFORE baseball banned it. Again, IF there was some explanation the burden is now on him to explain any innocent usage. You said you would love your son if he did something wrong. GREAT! You should. But if your son stole something at 8 he is old enough to know he stole it and would be guilty of stealing. You would still love him, but he would have done it. (I'm sure your son would never steal anything. Just using this as an example) And if you say Manny is immature like an 8 year old, Manny is an adult. What you seem to be saying is that he didn't do it, and if he did he is immature and so not responsible. That sounds like, if I'm an athlete the rules don't apply to me. Most of us are tired of that.

"Am I crazy, if for nothing more than representing the other side here, for thinking for a minute that Manny indeed was given this drug by a physician for a real personal problem?"

yes.

"And not only that, but that he has the rare personality type that he'd rather take the 50 games and lay low and be lazy than he would fight it and find himself in the middle of another media circus?"

again, yes. manny created a media circus by publically negotiating with the dodgers over cash. it was clear that if cash is on the line, he'll take as much of a media circus as it takes.

"Although this drug is commonly used to mask steroid use, it has indeed been used for other issues."

true, to encourage ovulation in women. if that's really what manny was using it for, then there are clearly bigger issues at play.

"If you had a "personal problem" and were a classically introverted personality as Manny is... would you run to the team doctor or open the LA phone book to fix your problem?"

implying what exactly? that if he had gone to the team doctor, the team doctor would've then issued a press release disclosing the entire thing?

"For a guy that doesn't take trust lightly... do you trust your inner circle and attempt to fly under the radar or do you trust your new home some 3,000 miles away?"

there's a probably a reason he didn't tell the team doctor and "flew under the radar" and i highly doubt it's because he really thought the team doctor would risk his livelihood and breach doctor/patient confidentiality.

none of what you're saying is making much sense. nice ramirez bat collection though.

rudy.

Quote Originally Posted by nationals2k9 View Post
    If you had a "personal problem" and were a classically introverted personality as Manny is... would you run to the team doctor or open the LA phone book to fix your problem? For a guy that doesn't take trust lightly... do you trust your inner circle and attempt to fly under the radar or do you trust your new home some 3,000 miles away?
    re: manny's new home
    the LA medical community has long treated celebrities far more A-list than manny ramirez. manny is what passes for a celebrity in places like boston. in LA, not so much. i have a hard time seeing the dodgers team doctor running to TMZ or the enquirer because manny told him he couldn't get it up.

besides, why would the dodgers care if manny was having a sexual dysfunction? i can only understand players hiding two things: injuries and banned PED-use.

rudy.

If Manny went to a doctor for some problem and the doctor prescribed a medicine that unexpectedly led to a positive on the steroid test (or if it showed up as a steroid masking agent), then the doctor would be responsible for misinforming Manny about the effects of the medicine and for jeopardizing Manny's career. If this really happened, Ramirez's reps would be screaming bloody murder and suing this doctor for billions. But Manny is keeping quiet--because there is no doctor to blame. This means that he is NOT hall of fame material.

Personally, I'm sickened by this whole fiasco.

Manny has got to be one of the stupidest athletes in the history of this world....

He has ruined this season for me. I'm sure I am not alone as a Dodger fan. Every time I think of what a fun year it was going to be, starting off with breaking a 98-yr. old record, and basically leaving all of the Western Divisional foes in a cloud of dust.....now THIS.

AGAIN.

ANOTHER PED ISSUE.

Geezuz....I have a headache, and I don't think I can stand to see the sight of that smiling dreadlocked face again. I just have no respect for a guy who can just hold his middle finger up in the face of society like this while he cheats to get ahead.

In fact, I'd like to see the Dodgers get their attorneys to sue Boras and his "client" and completely void out the two-year contract.

Screw Manny Ramirez. Yes, I'm pissed.

encinorick......I still can tell why you're being so giddy about this whole thing, and why you keep chanting on about a Manny bat. My suggestion to you is to buy your son a James Loney bat, or an Andre Ethier bat.

Forget this self-indulged money grubbing lying bastard.