Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Post Article on Pink Louisville Sluggers for Mother's Day

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...605110376/1071

This article talks about Reds players using Pink Louisville sluggers but also mentions an mlb.com auction and other players planning to use the bats.

Re: Article on Pink Louisville Sluggers for Mother's Day

Quote Originally Posted by tknorm
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...605110376/1071

This article talks about Reds players using Pink Louisville sluggers but also mentions an mlb.com auction and other players planning to use the bats.
    Quite a few guys hit homers with these. I read where Jason LaRue of the Reds is keeping his home run bat for his mom. Isn't the purpose to sell these for the breast cancer research? Who actually owns the bats? Any idea when they will go to auction. I wonder what they will go for. I hope to just get a common type player's bat as long as it isn't too expensive.

From article in San Jose Mercury News

Arizona catcher Johnny Estrada had no RBI in his first 11 games, then drove in at least one run in 17 of his next 23 to enter Saturday night with 28 RBI in 34 games. Estrada used a pink bat to help raise money for breast cancer awareness last Sunday, had three hits, and wanted to keep using it. Major League Baseball, however, said no. The pink bats were approved for only one day.

From Cincinnati Enquirer Editorial

Baseball at bat against breast cancer
    Editorials
    Hats off to Major League Baseball for its Mother's Day Pink Bat promotion to raise awareness of breast cancer.

There was a time, not so long ago, when you might not have associated macho professional athletes with social awareness. Those days obviously are gone.

The Louisville Slugger factory turned out 400 pink bats for 50 players who agreed to participate in the weeklong campaign that culminated Sunday.

On the Reds those players included Jason LaRue, Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr. LaRue used one of his on a fifth inning home run against the Phillies Sunday. That bat was a gift to his mother, Melanie. The others from around the league will be auctioned off at the end of the week to benefit the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.

The campaign encourages women to get regular examinations and stresses that early detection is a key to surviving the disease. Breast cancer, while primarily afflicting women, is not just a "women's" disease. Breast cancer is an issue that touches everyone who knows someone who has been diagnosed. Frank discussion and broad knowledge of the disease and how to deal with it is the best way to increase the survival rate.

In addition to the bats, players and other on-field personnel are wearing pink wristbands, and pink home plates and scorecards are being used around the league. All of those items will go into the fundraising auctions.

Major league bats are custom made for each player and Louisville Slugger was taking orders for the pink sticks through last Friday. For those players who didn't order one, try bidding on one used by a teammate who did. It won't hurt to take a few extra swings in this worthwhile campaign.

Is there any word on what they are doing with the Boston and Texas bats. They were rained out on Mother's day. Articles said Ortiz planned on using one. I'm sure other's would have used them if that game was played. Bummer for Red Sox and Rangers fans. Those bats would have raised for big money. Our is MLB going to allow them to use them in another game?

Any news on when these will be up for auction. There should be a ton of stuff up from these games, bats, scorecards, wrist/arm bands, the bases from the games ect........I know the jerseys had a patch added , not sure if any of these will up...

Fellow forum members,

As a side note, does anyone remember when Mizuno made those pink (or "Rose-colored") bats for Pete Rose? MLB did not let him use them, but they were real game bats.

As for the current pink bats, I might hold off on these until the hype has died down ... it sounds like there are a lot of these bats to be had (I'm saying this solely as a helpful tip as I have no personal interest in them as a collector).

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

The NHL just used pink sticks this weekend. They did it last year too. They are selling them on ebay now. Anyone know if MLB is going to bring back the pink bats for Mother's Day again? Haven't really seen many of these bats surface since the auctions last summer. I hope they do it again.

Pink bats are back

Nice article & some unused signed bats up for auction now at MLB.com. Jay

Re: Pink bats are back

We made 500 pink bats this year, two per player. I think only one or two players got 4. We finished them up this past week and I got to say they look really good this year.
    Brian Hillerich