Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Question about Cal Ripken jersey labeling

Great info for anyone who might be looking to make a similar purchase. Such is the beauty of the Internet; wish I'd had it back in '93 or '94 when I picked up the jersey.

I sure no one would be shocked to hear the jersey came with a COA signed by someone who (at least at the time) was thought to be a reputable authenticator.

A perfect example of why I no longer buy from dealers...or eBay...or auction houses...etc.

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by rj_lucas View Post
    Great info for anyone who might be looking to make a similar purchase. Such is the beauty of the Internet; wish I'd had it back in '93 or '94 when I picked up the jersey.

I sure no one would be shocked to hear the jersey came with a COA signed by someone who (at least at the time) was thought to be a reputable authenticator.

A perfect example of why I no longer buy from dealers...or eBay...or auction houses...etc.

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com
    Not sure how any legitimate authenticator could have put his John Hancock on this one. That said, there are some excellent, honest dealers (e.g., MeiGray), eBay sellers (too many to pick just one), and auction houses (e.g., GUU). Likewise, there are some dishonest non-dealer hobbyists. Best to take each one on an individual basis. Sorry about your Ripken, but it seems like you have a healthy attitude about it.
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Banned

A respected Orioles collector told me in the mid-90's that all sorts of 1989-91 mis-sized, mistagged Ripkens were popping up due to NOB/number/tag changing of common player jerseys. The era in which this jersey was doctored may explain the off-sizing between what Cal Jr. wore and what the tag says...back then the doctorer may not have known.

Dave M.
    Chicago area