Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Intentional Walk of Zimmerman on Hit Streak

Barry Zito in the 7th inning Intentional Walked Ryan Zimmerman who is on a 30 game hit streak. 1st base was open and this may keep Zim from having another at-bat as he is 0-2 in the game.

The crowd boo'd and they are playing in San Francisco!!!

There seems to me that this goes against the unwritten rules in baseball.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Re: Intentional Walk of Zimmerman on Hit Streak

1 more at bat coming up!
    He will do it Andrew!

Rudy

Guess not.

Washington - Top of 9thSCOREPatrick Misch pitching for San FranciscoWASSFO P Misch relieved J Miller.42Cristian GuzmanStrike (foul), Strike (foul), Ball, Foul, Foul, Ball, Ball, C Guzman doubled to left42Nick JohnsonStrike (looking), Strike (foul), Ball, Ball, N Johnson singled to left center, C Guzman to third42Ryan ZimmermanStrike (looking), R Zimmerman grounded into fielder's choice to shortstop, N Johnson out at second42Josh Willingham420 Runs, 2 Hits, 0 Errors

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    Barry Zito in the 7th inning Intentional Walked Ryan Zimmerman who is on a 30 game hit streak. 1st base was open and this may keep Zim from having another at-bat as he is 0-2 in the game.

The crowd boo'd and they are playing in San Francisco!!!

There seems to me that this goes against the unwritten rules in baseball.
    It was still a tight game at the time and runners on 2nd and third. Of course you would walk him, he's batting 360. The object is to win the game. If it was a blow out that would be a different story.

I don't think think any manager would have done anything different. This is not like stealing a base with a 10 run lead.

You don't give up an advantage, like having a base open that you can put a dangerous hitter on, for fear of messing with a guy's streak. Where does that kind of thinking end? Do you not bunt for a base hit in the 7th, if the pitcher is throwing a perfect game? Some "unwritten rules" do make a little bit of sense, but not the ones that might help the other team win.

I would walk him in a heart beat, first base is open not a very tough choice there.
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

When Barry was still playing, it used to crack me up when the Gnats fans would hold up the rubber chickens and have a fit whenever anyone walked His Highness, but then their own pitchers would turn around and walk somebody like Junior Spivey or Craig Counsell.

Early in the game, maybe. This appeared to be his last at-bat in the 7th inning. It was 2-0 at that point in the game, and I think you challenge the batter in that case. Still a 2/3 chance by the odds you get him out.

As it turned out, the Nats would score 2 more and get it to 4-0 and win 6-3.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    Early in the game, maybe. This appeared to be his last at-bat in the 7th inning. It was 2-0 at that point in the game, and I think you challenge the batter in that case. Still a 2/3 chance by the odds you get him out.

As it turned out, the Nats would score 2 more and get it to 4-0 and win 6-3.
    The other team doesn't care if its his first at bat or last at bat. The game was 2-0 still a very close game. You absolutely don't challenge the best hitter on the team with two runners in scoring position. There isn't a manager in the league that would do any different.

There goes the Nats ESPN time and media coverage....
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.