Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Carl Yastrzemski bat on E-bay

At this point, I think the real question relates to authenticity. I know nothing about Yaz stuff, but I'd want a solid answer to the measurement discrepancies, not to mention other stuff, like if his number is on the knob (if it should be), if the wear is normal, are the balls marks consistent with those of a left-handed hitter, etc. At any rate, Mike makes a pretty good point here. If this bat isn't authentic, then even $20 is too much. Now quick, you have three hours to do your research.

Quote Originally Posted by MSpecht
    Here is a previous thread you should review to help in making your decision.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ead.php?t=1784

Also, note that the 32 1/2 inch length is at least 1 1/2 inches shorter than Yaz ever ordered, and most of his gamers were 36 inches at the end of his career. This bat is very uncharacteristic in length and Model of Yaz' ordering patterns as documented in his factory records.

Good Luck in future collecting.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by justinlm24
    Well $400 is fair. considering its near the end of his career, and the authenticity of the bat is now in question, I dunno if I'd spend $400. Plus I know Taube sells bats for ore than the value, so $400-$500 is more than fair.
    I am not sure if I understood your post correctly but I would have to disagree with you on the point that John sells bats for more than they are worth (if thats what you meant). His bats are not cheap by any means but you have to understand that there is tons of junk out there that can be had for a fraction of what a high quality piece goes for. In my opinion, $1300 for a bat that Yaz used is a far better value then maybe $300-$400 that he likely didn't. Think of bats like PSA graded cards, there are a lot of 5 and 6s out there but you have to pay many times the price of those to get a 9 or 10. At the end of the day, if you truly want a bat that is authentic, you might be better off saving for a little longer and going with the sure bet. Just my opinion. Good luck with your collection!

Regards,
    Andy
    www.vintagebats.com

I have bought several bats from John. I'm not saying he sells for more than the value, I meant he sells them for a profit, not just market value. He clearly makes a profit. I've trusted John for many years and have used him for many items, as well to answer many questions. I'm just trying to figure out if this one in questions is authentic or not. You are right, it's not worth $400 if it is not authentic and I would not buy it. I'm just saying I don't want to spend $1300 for a bat. I only have a few bats in my collection. I collect other game used items. That is why I'm asking so many questiuons. I want to be sure. But just because it is selling so low does not mean it isn't authentic. Bats vary in price from the same player based on year and many other factors.

I tried to post on the Yaz K48 bat thread but could not. According to the thread K 48 Yaz bats are suspect. I just happened to have one that was sent to PSA/DNA who sent me a LOA that on 03/07/83 Yaz ordered 12 K48 model bats. This does not jive on some of the other experts on the this site. Any clarification/help??

A review of Yaz's records show four orders of K48 model bats during the 80 - 83 labeing period including the March 7, 1983 order you referenced. Unfortunately, all four of those orders were to Baseball Miscellaneous which are usually considered promotional orders. There are no K48 model orders directly to Yaz or the Red Sox post 1980. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by justinlm24 View Post
    I'm not saying he sells for more than the value, I meant he sells them for a profit, not just market value. He clearly makes a profit.
    If someone is willing to pay the price, dosen't that make it market value???

Jim,
    Thanks so much for your post. Your expertise in this matter is appreciated. I have included a scan of the PSA/DNA letter. I assume you disagree with the findings of the LOA? Thanks again for anything you may have to add on this topic.Name:  Letter pg 1.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  443.6 KB

Jim,
    Here is the second page of the LOA. Thank you.Name:  Letter pg 2.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  447.5 KB

So sorry....Page 2 Name:  Letter pg 2.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  276.4 KB

I am waiting for the obvious question here on this bat, and so I will ask it. When are miscellaneous orders NOT "usually considered promotional orders"? On what evidence are we basing this assessment?