Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

thoughts on this jeter gamer...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...lenotsupported

I know kim has been around along time...its just a big investment into a bat for me wanted to hear what everyone thought

Re: thoughts on this jeter gamer...

Quote Originally Posted by gameu08 View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...lenotsupported

I know kim has been around along time...its just a big investment into a bat for me wanted to hear what everyone thought
    It looks good. I do not keep up on Jeter bat pricing, but from what I remember from skimming eBay, the price seems reasonable. This is probably not a bad time to buy Yankees items. You may want to call Kim/David and ask more about the bat (or get some more detailed photos). Seems like it would be a reasonable purchase, though.
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

I personally do not like the bat because it is not the normal double dipped finish, also known as smith finish. If I were looking for a Jeter bat of that era 01-08, I would prefer the smith finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Rboitano View Post
    I personally do not like the bat because it is not the normal double dipped finish, also known as smith finish. If I were looking for a Jeter bat of that era 01-08, I would prefer the smith finish.
    How can you tell the difference ? Sorry if this is a dumb question ! Chris

The Smith finish consists of a filler applied twice to the bat and then a black finish coat. It is very hard to see the soft grain in a Smith finish bat unlike the pictures of the barrel of this bat in which you can see the grain.

On a side note, the last time Jeter received a bat without the Smith finish was 2004 for an order of Maple (3 bats) and an order of Beech. I'm not saying it's not real, but there was no order in 2007 for non Smith finish bats except for bats ordered by Steiner Sports.
    Brian Hillerich

His last order for an Ash P72 in black was 2002.
    Brian Hillerich

I know where there are two quality Jeter bats for sale. I'd list the link but it was either this one or a different one where I did and my post got deleted for whatever reason.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but Brian just explained the origins of this bat.

Non-Smith finish in 2007 was ordered by...........Steiner.

Add to that Derek's last order for an ash P72 model was..........in 2002.

Um, that says it all for me.

But whoever applied the game use on it did a real fine job!

BMH,

This post is a case in point why this site, and your information you so graciously share, is so important to the collecting community.

Abscent the insight collected here, people would be buying non-authentic stuff a LOT more often, and I for one commend you for the truthful tidbits you share with us all. Thanks again, Brian.

And good catch, Rboitano....a guys who knows his Jeter bats

Quote Originally Posted by BMH View Post
    The Smith finish consists of a filler applied twice to the bat and then a black finish coat. It is very hard to see the soft grain in a Smith finish bat unlike the pictures of the barrel of this bat in which you can see the grain.

On a side note, the last time Jeter received a bat without the Smith finish was 2004 for an order of Maple (3 bats) and an order of Beech. I'm not saying it's not real, but there was no order in 2007 for non Smith finish bats except for bats ordered by Steiner Sports.
    Brian, thanks for the help in clarifying the smith finish.