Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

BMH - Hard Ash vs. Maple

Brian - I just got these Adam Dunn Nationals bats. Ash vs. Maple. The ash bats look flame treated and show no lace impressions while the maple bats have deep lace impressions.

I noticed the same thing with Josh Hamilton ash bats.

My question is, are the flame treated ash bats that hard that they don't show lace impressions?

THANKS!

Name:  dunn_bats1.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  45.0 KB

Name:  dunn_bats2.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  51.5 KB
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Re: BMH - Hard Ash vs. Maple

That is a hard one to answer. As you know most players believe the Maple to be harder than the Ash. FT finish "supposedly" makes the surface of the bat harder by leeching out the moisture. Are the two Ash bats broken? If they are it should be cracked through the center brand. We've been having trouble with the burn brand on the C353, the angle is too great for the BB. We've started to foil brand Dunn's and Hamilton's bats to hopefully correct the problem.
    Brian Hillerich

Quote Originally Posted by BMH View Post
    That is a hard one to answer. As you know most players believe the Maple to be harder than the Ash. FT finish "supposedly" makes the surface of the bat harder by leeching out the moisture. Are the two Ash bats broken? If they are it should be cracked through the center brand. We've been having trouble with the burn brand on the C353, the angle is too great for the BB. We've started to foil brand Dunn's and Hamilton's bats to hopefully correct the problem.
    Hi Brian:

Does it look like Dunn is staying with the blonde ash bats now, or do you think he'll go back to the maple 2-tones??

Robert Koppel
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by BMH View Post
    Brian - Thanks for the reply!

One of the Dunn ash bats is cracked and holo'd and had a small surface crack in the handle so I went to the date of the MLB Hologram when it said it was cracked and I watched the replay of the game and couldn't even tell he cracked it.

The other is uncracked and took a few pitches off of the end of the barrel and also didn't have any lace marks just ball marks and surface scratches.

I think the FT much have something to do with it.

With the Josh Hamilton, same thing was cracked in the handle and the bat almost looked unused but was MLB holo'd and had a couple of ball marks.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

I haven't talked with Dunn since he moved again. I've noticed he's mainly ordered Ash but has a few Maple.

Dunn uses the Smith Clear finish on his bats. That means we have to use a really light weight billet to make the bat out of, since the finish adds an ounce of weight. With the bat as big as it is, it takes a 77oz billet to make his bat. That is light...
    Brian Hillerich