Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does Anyone Collect NFL Coach-Worn Memoribilia?

Hey guys, I just purchased a Tony Dungy worn jacket from the Colts Pro Shop website (currently awaiting it in the mail) and paid only $150 for it. I looked through every cold weather game in Getty Images during the years he coached the Colts and found only one game in which he wore that style of jacket. I figure it's very likely that he wore this exact jacket in this very game.

Now, what I want to know is how on earth they could price a jacket worn by a future hall of fame coach (in my opinion anyway) for $150? The least expensive game worn jersey on the site is $250. Now, I know that a jacket is not the same as a jersey but you know if there was a Vince Lombardi worn jacket or a Bill Walsh, I could see it going for 25-50 grand (just guestimating). I'm not saying that Dungy is as legendary as those guys but $150?

I'm not complaining though. It will come with a Colts COA.

Do you guys think this is the real deal and why do you think they can price it so low?

Anyone else collect Coach-Worn items?

Re: Does Anyone Collect NFL Coach-Worn Memoribilia?

Quote Originally Posted by RKO18 View Post
    Hey guys, I just purchased a Tony Dungy worn jacket from the Colts Pro Shop website (currently awaiting it in the mail) and paid only $150 for it. I looked through every cold weather game in Getty Images during the years he coached the Colts and found only one game in which he wore that style of jacket. I figure it's very likely that he wore this exact jacket in this very game.

Now, what I want to know is how on earth they could price a jacket worn by a future hall of fame coach (in my opinion anyway) for $150? The least expensive game worn jersey on the site is $250. Now, I know that a jacket is not the same as a jersey but you know if there was a Vince Lombardi worn jacket or a Bill Walsh, I could see it going for 25-50 grand (just guestimating). I'm not saying that Dungy is as legendary as those guys but $150?

I'm not complaining though. It will come with a Colts COA.

Do you guys think this is the real deal and why do you think they can price it so low?

Anyone else collect Coach-Worn items?
    Sounds like a great piece to me and at 150 a very nice affordable price with team COA. I think you're right in that Dungy is probably a HOF coach to boot. I, being a complete Jets junkie, have a few Jets non player items. My favorite being a 1993 one game throwback jacket worn by Jets trainer Bob Reese. Congrats on a cool pickup and happy collecting!

Quote Originally Posted by nyjetsfan14 View Post
    Sounds like a great piece to me and at 150 a very nice affordable price with team COA. I think you're right in that Dungy is probably a HOF coach to boot. I, being a complete Jets junkie, have a few Jets non player items. My favorite being a 1993 one game throwback jacket worn by Jets trainer Bob Reese. Congrats on a cool pickup and happy collecting!
    Thank you very much and I think that it can be cool to collect non player items, especially if your a fan of the coach or trainer.

In this instance I'd imagine a Team COA is about as legit as you can find, especially after finding a pictures of Dungy wearing that exact same style jacket (possibly the exact jacket I'm getting).

But with the $150 price tag, it almost seems far to good to be true, especially when they are selling game-used jerseys of low end players for $250.

$250 is still a great deal for a legit Colts Gamer, it just seems to me that charging $150 for a jacket worn by a future HOF coach is too good to be true.

Ha!

I have to laugh because a good friend of mine's dad coached in the NFL for a long while (not a head coach but an assistant). He and I went up to stay with them and go to a game. He gave us a ride to/from the stadium and on the way home he gave me his "game worn" cap....I still have it...

Look at it this way, those jackets are warm! You can't buy those Sideline jackets unworn for $150. So even if it doesn't hold value, you got a nice warm coat at a good price

Sounds like a great unique item and considering his role in the history of the NFL, I'd be a proud owner as well. Congrats.
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by RKO18 View Post
    Now, what I want to know is how on earth they could price a jacket worn by a future hall of fame coach (in my opinion anyway) for $150?
    1 Superbowl trophy = HOF?

Quote Originally Posted by NEFAN View Post
    1 Superbowl trophy = HOF?
    In your opinion, how many Super Bowls does it take for a coach to get in? Unlike a coach ala Mike Tomlin who walked into a winning tradition with a SB team already in place - Dungy completely turned around a Tampa franchise that had an LA Clippers like history and the Colts weren't exactly known for consistently winning ways either. I think his resume is as good/better than any recent coach with the exception of Bilicheck. Happy collecting!

In my opinion, that should not be the sole criteria, but it seems to be a coaching prerequisite. You can look at coaches with high winning percentages who turned several teams around that never got a trophy like Shotteheimer or one like Billick. Before and after the one Superbowl Dungy won he had the same MO as Marty, take a great team to the playoffs and lose with them often and early.

I'm not knocking Dungy, I do think he was a great coach, especially with buiding a defense. I guess I'm just putting the question out there, "What does it take to be a HOF coach?"

Quote Originally Posted by NEFAN View Post
    I guess I'm just putting the question out there, "What does it take to be a HOF coach?"
    Good question. Obviously Parcells and Belichick walk in backwards. I assume Holmgren gets in. Dungy probably goes for turning around two habitually bad franchises. I think Shotteheimer has done enough winning with different times to get strong consideration despite having not won or even been to a SB. Am I missing anyone? Andy Reid and Mike Shanahan perhaps? Is Tom Coughlin in the conversation?

I had the Bronco game worn sideline wind breaker from a Dallas Cowboys Hall of Fame player (can't remember his name off the top of my head, but he wasn't as famous as Stauback or Dorsett) when he was a coach (not head coach) for Denver (boy that was a long sentence with many asides, huh?). It had his signed LOA and I got it for cheap. So maybe that kind of stuff isn't in big demand (one more aise for the road).