Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vikingshelmetguy
    • Mar 2009

Re: OT: Game Used Oddities....

Every once in a while in the NHL, a goalie will be traded from one team to another mid-way through the season. As modern-day NHL goalies customize the color scheme of their pads/masks/equipment to match the team jersey/uniform colors, this often creates a problem when a goalie is playing for one team and then is suddenly traded to a new team and forced to play for that new team just a few days later... I can remember a few instances, such as when Roland Melanson was traded mid-season from the New York Islanders to the Minnesota North Stars in 1984 (couldn't find any photos of him from that time, but I remember him wearing Islanders blue/orange colored pads with his green/gold North Stars jersey). This happened again in 1989 when New York Islanders goalie Kelly Hrudey was traded mid-season from the New York Islanders to the Los Angeles Kings. See photos below of Kelly Hrudey wearing his New York Islanders pads and gloves, while wearing his new L.A. Kings jersey.

Comment

• cohibasmoker
      Banned
      • Aug 2005

Here's a Jets game in 1965 - looks like none of the Jets players had Logos on their helmets. I guess the team had to do what they needed to do to get the team outfitted.

Jim
      Attached Files

Comment

• 5kRunner
        • Aug 2007

I can't believe no one posted this before me.

Michael Jordan wearing #12.

I can't remember the story behind it exactly, but I think Jordan's jersey was lost or stolen.
        Attached Files
        SCOTT
        scottjrepking at gmail.com

Always looking for game used bats from Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, Jody Davis, Shawon Dunston, Jerome Walton, Rick Sutcliffe, and Greg Maddux. Preferably CUBS era bats.
        sigpic

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by 5kRunner
          I can't believe no one posted this before me.

Michael Jordan wearing #12.

I can't remember the story behind it exactly, but I think Jordan's jersey was lost or stolen.

I have a perfect photo from this game from a Orlando Sentinel photog (need to scan it). My mom was at this game, and I also have some "mom-quality" photos. The jersey was stolen before the game from the locker room; obviously an inside job. The equipment manager walked through the crowd looking for an authentic replica. They were all too small. MJ wore an extra number 12 that the EM carried for such a circumstance.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
            Banned
            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by mfsquirrelmaster
            I have an 86' St. Louis Cardinals jersey worn by Lance Smith with his full name on the back. I'm assuming the pic of Leonard Smith is from the same season. Wonder why they didn't stop after La? and Le?
            That reminds me of the Bears a few years ago, with two T Johnsons...the NOBs were full names (Tank Johnson and Todd Johnson).

Dave M.
            Chicago area

Comment

• Vikingshelmetguy
              • Mar 2009

Randy Moss originally wore #18 on his jersey during the pre-season of his Rookie year with the Vikings, before he switched to his famous #84. Similarly, Duante Culpepper wore #12 on his jersey during the pre-season of his Rookie year with the Vikings, before he switched to his famous #11 (I think because #11 made him look more slender).

Comment

• Vikingshelmetguy
                • Mar 2009

Finally found a photo of NHL goalie Roland Melanson playing for the Minnesota North Stars (in 1984) where he was wearing a green and gold North Stars uniform, yet he was wearing orange and blue colored pads and using an orange and blue goalie stick which were the colors of his former team, the New York Islanders.

Comment

• Vikingshelmetguy
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Vikingshelmetguy
                  Finally found a photo of NHL goalie Roland Melanson playing for the Minnesota North Stars (in 1984) where he was wearing a green and gold North Stars uniform, yet he was wearing orange and blue colored pads and using an orange and blue goalie stick which were the colors of his former team, the New York Islanders.

I posted this photo, and somehow it is not showing up.... Here it is again:
                  Attached Files

Comment

• LEGEND33
                    • Nov 2005

Re: OT: Game Used Oddities....KAREEM WHO ?

I found this pic in my basketball library, is dated late 70...no player used # 50 from 70 to 1982-83 (Steve Mix) so probably an extra team jersey
                    Attached Files

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                      • Nov 2005

This is a cool thread that deserves revisiting...

Comment

• LastingsMilledge85
                        • May 2009

My favorite which I have brought up before, Darren O'Day wearing Kason Gabbard's jersey.

Comment

• joelsabi
                          • Aug 2005

In 2009, Joe Torre wore a Cardinals helmet while coaching first base. He played for St. Louis from 1969-1974 & managed them from 1990-1995.
                          Attached Files
                          Regards,
                          Joel S.
                          joelsabi @ gmail.com
                          Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• joelsabi
                            • Aug 2005

In 2009, Roy Halladay batted with the helmet of Evan Longoria of the Tampa Bay Rays for his at-bat. The Rays' logo had been removed from the front of the helmet, but it was still identifiable due to its color and Longoria's number "3" on the back.
                            Attached Files
                            Regards,
                            Joel S.
                            joelsabi @ gmail.com
                            Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• joelsabi
                              • Aug 2005

In 1975, the Oakland Athletics wore four different uniforms during the All-Star Game. Infielders Gene Tenace and Bert Campaneris wore yellow jerseys while outfielders Joe Rudi and Reggie Jackson and relief pitcher Rollie Fingers donned green ones. All five wore white pants. Pitcher Vida Blue's shirt and pants were both yellow. Dark and the coaching staff wore all-white uniforms, as did outfielder Claudell Washington.
                              Attached Files
                              Regards,
                              Joel S.
                              joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• joelsabi
                                • Aug 2005

Day Job .....
                                Attached Files
                                Regards,
                                Joel S.
                                joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

Working...