Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OT: Earliest hobby purchase on the internet

just curious as to who has the earliest purchase on the intenet that is hobby related. i imagine it was around 1995 when the internet was becoming popular. what did you purchase?
    what website?
    how has your collection changed since your internet usage?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Re: OT: Earliest hobby purchase on the internet

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    just curious as to who has the earliest purchase on the intenet that is hobby related. i imagine it was around 1995 when the internet was becoming popular. what did you purchase?
    what website?
    how has your collection changed since your internet usage?
    what month, year was the purchase?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

This bad boy helped me find GUU.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Quote Originally Posted by AWA85 View Post
    haha my first experience on the mac was on a mac too.

i went over my ebay history and i think my first purchase was in 1999. I bought a "rare" australia poster of kobe bryant from some dude in australia and thought that was pretty amazing that you could find hobby related things from other countries. small purchases and thats how it was for me for a long time on the internet. rather make a phone call and buy something that way or go in person to a show.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com

Mr.3000

The earliest Ebay purchase that I can recall was a 1998 Stadium Club CoSigner dual auto Derek Jeter/Scott Rolen. And I think my 2nd purchase was the Tony Gwynn/Larry Walker from the same set.

i go back on ebay to feb 1998. before that i would do listings and deals on AOL classifieds which puts me in the 1995-96 range.

take care
    john

Mr.3000

Quote Originally Posted by jonincleve View Post
    i go back on ebay to feb 1998. before that i would do listings and deals on AOL classifieds which puts me in the 1995-96 range.

take care
    john

I remember the AOL rooms. Gosh that seems like forever ago. I think it was AOL SPORTSCARDS, the one I hung out in alot.

My first memorable online purchase was early '96 when I bought Marty Cordova pre-minor league things from his website. Stuff from junior and senior high, Japan, college, etc.

The first computer I used was a Radio Shack Model 8 - with 8" floppies nearly as big as an old record album. First one I owned was a Radio Shack Model 3 - TRS-80. No software at the time, you had to write everything yourself in Basic. I thought I was soooo cool when I bought my Model 4P - a "portable." Must have been 1986. I think my first modem was 8 or 16K.

Actually, the first computer I used/saw for a day was in high school. We went to a local university and got to make punch cards and run them through.

Oy.

Quote Originally Posted by AWA85 View Post
    Now that photo brought back great rivaly memories!!! Like, "Why use a rotten Apple?" Or, "Does TRS-80 really mean Trash80?" Apple got the school kids. Mac rans circles around everything - but no software. And now I am not sure Radio Shack even sells batteries anymore, no less computers.

My first online purchase was 30 Barry Larkin cards for $1.00 off Yahoo auctions. I think it was in late 97, or early 98 and I never ever received those cards. Then I found eBay! I remember I used to hang out in the AOL chat rooms to and try to get deals on baseball cards. I was 13 when I first started buying and selling on the internet.