Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Re: Lebron jersey - A5

Quote Originally Posted by sportscentury View Post
    .. if an item is graded a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10, you would think that folks would understand that this is not a particularly high grade...
    "The highest grade a post-1987 jersey can obtain without team or player documentation, or verifiable provenance, or a combination of known distinct player specific traits is an A5."

rudy.

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post
    "The highest grade a post-1987 jersey can obtain without team or player documentation, or verifiable provenance, or a combination of known distinct player specific traits is an A5."

rudy.
    Based on my complete post, I hope it was clear that I was speaking from the perspective of someone who doesn't know the MEARS specifics. My guess is that many collectors who buy these A5 jerseys are not well-versed on the MEARS rules and definitions.

Even knowing the specifics, though, I'm not sure that I find "the highest grade" (of A5) on a scale that is this qualified all that compelling.

With all of this said, it seems to mean a lot to a good number of collectors. I just never understood it.

Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Banned

Re: LeBron jersey - A5

Rudy, did you ask Troy about this jersey as I suggested? Maybe he could answer your questions as it appears you feel you know every size worn by LeBron that year and maybe Troy could shed some light with an answer instead of your one sided crusade to smear the MEARS name time and time again.

As its been over 3 years since James has worn a Cavs jersey, does anyone have a definitive guide to his game issued sizes during that era? Reading through the thread 50+4 was his most common size. An Upper Deck member stated they had some 48+4 sizes although I have never seen one.

The size most in question was 52+4 as that factory pro cut size could be purchased back then. After doing some research it seems UDA sold a handful of 2006-07 and 2008-09 size 52+4 "game issued" jerseys with his signature. I have included some pics of these below. You can also lookup the following serial numbers: BAK13090, BAK13093, BAK13094, BAK13095 at http://sports.upperdeck.com/memorabi...am_lookup.aspx

I also know that UDA sold 50 2008-09 size 50+4 factory pro-cuts with the tags still attached and an "MVP" inscription.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I read this article on Upper Deck recently, and it gave me a whole new view on the company:

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/...t-rail-article

Rudy,

When are you going to learn to stop trying to formulate any discussion with the "unofficial MEARS certified dealer"?? He dances around clear and convincing evidence better than the gymnast that just won the trophy on DWTS!!!

It was almost this time last year when we had the discussion about MEARS VERY SUBJECTIVE scoring system.

Look, here is just one of the problems with the MEARS scoring system.

They can take an actual mid 70's Rollie Fingers and subtract two points -2 for "light use", subtract two point -2 for god only knows what size stain and subtract one -1 for a "name properly restored" for a final score of an A5. Now to me and most collectors, one would believe that jersey was worn by Rollie but it has some staining and restored name.

Now on the same hand they can take a Lebron jersey from any year that looks just like what he wears in a game, size does not really matter, no proof he ever wore the jersey and they can give it an A5. No proof Lebron wore the jersey, Bushing admits they have never authenticated a true game worn Lebron jersey so they have to true exemplar to compare, but it is close to a 50 so they give it an A5!!!

Throw the dart on the dartboard and if it hits anywhere near the bullseye it is a bullseye!!!

There is just know way both of these jerseys can have the same score and that is just one of the flaws of the subjective MEARS scoring system.

I not trying to smear MEARS period. Troy and Dave G. have admitted mistakes in the past, they have admitted they are not right all the time and Troy puts his money where his mouth is. They have a buy back program that works.

They just have a very subjective scoring system and they need to tighten it up and make it more OBJECTIVE.

Are they the best authentication house in the world??? Probably...based on the other handfull of crappy authenticators.

Are they a "world-class" authentication house? Not even close.

The problem with the A5 score is that many collectors believe that an A5 means the jersey was game worn by the athlete. So now all these collectors who have purchased an A5 Lebron believe they have an actual Lebron game used jersey when there is no proof whatsoeverKing James wore this jersey in any NBA game .

Mark

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Moustache Gang View Post
    Rudy,

When are you going to learn to stop trying to formulate any discussion with the "unofficial MEARS certified dealer"?? He dances around clear and convincing evidence better than the gymnast that just won the trophy on DWTS!!!

It was almost this time last year when we had the discussion about MEARS VERY SUBJECTIVE scoring system.

Look, here is just one of the problems with the MEARS scoring system.

They can take an actual mid 70's Rollie Fingers and subtract two points -2 for "light use", subtract two point -2 for god only knows what size stain and subtract one -1 for a "name properly restored" for a final score of an A5. Now to me and most collectors, one would believe that jersey was worn by Rollie but it has some staining and restored name.

Now on the same hand they can take a Lebron jersey from any year that looks just like what he wears in a game, size does not really matter, no proof he ever wore the jersey and they can give it an A5. No proof Lebron wore the jersey, Bushing admits they have never authenticated a true game worn Lebron jersey so they have to true exemplar to compare, but it is close to a 50 so they give it an A5!!!

Throw the dart on the dartboard and if it hits anywhere near the bullseye it is a bullseye!!!

There is just know way both of these jerseys can have the same score and that is just one of the flaws of the subjective MEARS scoring system.

I not trying to smear MEARS period. Troy and Dave G. have admitted mistakes in the past, they have admitted they are not right all the time and Troy puts his money where his mouth is. They have a buy back program that works.

They just have a very subjective scoring system and they need to tighten it up and make it more OBJECTIVE.

Are they the best authentication house in the world??? Probably...based on the other handfull of crappy authenticators.

Are they a "world-class" authentication house? Not even close.

The problem with the A5 score is that many collectors believe that an A5 means the jersey was game worn by the athlete. So now all these collectors who have purchased an A5 Lebron believe they have an actual Lebron game used jersey when there is no proof whatsoeverKing James wore this jersey in any NBA game .

Mark
    Mark - I am not a MEARS anything dealer anymore - Get over it.

You made some good points, but why bring up a term I no longer associate with? Do you really have nothing better to do than bring that up?

I have no associations with MEARS officially or unofficially anymore.

I really think that the bottom line here is that an A5 grade is pretty worthless. Frankly, unless I was well aware of a jerseys characteristics to the extent that I would call myself an expert, I wouldn't make a purchase on the sole basis of MEARS' rating of below an A10 without either a vey good explanation/proof or additional team, league, or player provenence.

I do think MEARS authenticates as well as anyone in the industry, with the exception of MeiGray. While there have been a number of errors, MEARS seems to make every effort to get things right. Although their rating system probably needs some revisions, it's a helluva lot better than some auction house issuing LOAs without doing any research at all.

NBA jerseys are tough, because they're so easy to pass off as game worn. In fact, I gave up collecting NBA stuff for awhile and recently got back into it because of MeiGray's involvement. Of the five NBA jerseys I own, three are directly from MeiGray (Amare Stoudemire X-Mas, Jamal Crawford St. Patty's Day and a 2006-07 Nate Robinson road that I bought for 1/2 price, during MeiGray's Facebook sale). One is a vintage Walter Davis Suns, circa 1980, which I was able to style match with other Suns jerseys from that period. Plus, I purchased it from a forum member (Warren-BTPH), who's opinion I respect with regard to vintage NBA jerseys. The other is a Kevin Garnett Wolves jersey with team paperwork. I was even somewhat skepical of the Garnett because it was cheaper than one would expect from a future HOFer, but the jersey shows good use, particularly with piling around the lower, front portion of the jersey, where the velcro would have rubbed against the material. Plus, it has the LOA from the Wolves.

If you are buying a jersey with the thought that it was game worn without either doing your own research or buying from MeiGray, you're gambling. I know I would hate to have to look at my wall wondering whether or not one of my jerseys was real or not. I want the real deal and have no interest in buying anything that might (or might not) have been game worn.

http://community.webshots.com/user/Reed97

Quote Originally Posted by reed1216 View Post
    I do think MEARS authenticates as well as anyone in the industry, with the exception of MeiGray.
    I agree. If a buyer wants/needs third-party authentication, I recommend MEARS.

As for MeiGray, they only authenticate an outside item if they have first photomatched it. Let me tell you, this exclusionary criterion quickly filters out a lot of crap!

As for your Garnett, if it shows good wear, you may want MeiGray to photomatch it. A photomatched Garnett T-Wolves jersey would be a gem. I have passed on a few Garnett T-Wolves jerseys with team letters recently because they have shown no real wear (and I think some extras may have been sold with team letters, which is, in part, why they do not command much money on the secondary market any longer) ... but it sounds like you picked up one of the jerseys he actually wore. It sounds like a great shirt.
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    ..what do the MEARS haters want?
    joel i have 1 question for you. it's a yes/no question so it's pretty simple.

troy said that one of the criteria to garner an A5 is that mears makes "..sure the jersey was the proper size to be issued to that player". those were his words, not mine.

here is my question to you: in regards to the jersey in question, did mears "make sure the jersey was the proper size to be issued" to lebron james?

rudy.