here's an interesting one: http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...2008/1412.html

it's a 1988 molitor jersey graded A8 and "..consigned to this auction directly from the personal collection/inventory of world-renowned bat and jersey authenticators David Bushing and/or Troy Kinunen". A5 + 3 points for "matching the characteristics of known Molitor game jerseys". ordinarily, "The highest grade a post-1987 jersey can obtain without team or player documentation, or verifiable provenance, or a combination of known distinct player specific traits is an A5."

so in this case, the molitor jersey apparently has some "known player characteristics" which warrant the 3 pt bump. what are the characteristics? the jersey doesn't seem to have any unique customizations. the only thing i can see is the statement on the LOO that "All known Molitor jerseys from this era are size 42".
correct size qualifies for a 3 pt bump over and above the A5 which troy said has to be of the correct size anyway? wait a minute here. the A5 definition requires a jersey to be the correct size. if it weren't, it wouldn't even get an A5. that is, correct size is already built in to the A5.

typically, the 3 pts awarded for "known player characteristics" would be for:

"Up to 3 points awarded for the following (post-1987 only):
  • Customized sleeves
  • Tailoring of side panels
  • Shortened tails
  • Added crotch pieces
  • Team repairs
  • Extra length
  • Other team customizations"
those are all unique customizations, the molitor jersey has none of them, and i don't see "correct size" being listed as an option.

secondly, if any post-1987 A5 jersey can have 3 pts added to it simply for being the correct size then why didn't MEARS add 3 pts to all of the 50+2 A5 lebron jerseys they've evaluated?

as dave bushing said: "Given that 33 of the A5 jerseys were size 50 and 7 were size 52 which if I do my math right is just over 75% of those examined were true to documented game worn sizes". so a bushing & kinunen-owned molitor A5 gets 3 pts added to it simply for being the correct size yet 33 lebron A5 jerseys which are a photo-verified correct size 50 remain A5s and do not become A8s like troy and dave's molitor?

and again, this seems to yet another bushing & kinunen-owned jersey with a "..large circular stain (eight inches in diameter) that is visible on both the front and back" that has had 0 points removed, going against their own grading policy that specifies:

"½ to 5 points subtracted for the following (determined solely by authenticator):
  • Fading or staining (minor to abused)"
i guess the authenticator didn't feel like removing even 1/2 pt for a "large, 8" stain visible on both front and back" on his own jersey.

given that the A5 already has the correct size built into it and the jersey had a large stain, it seems to me that it should've been graded A3-A4. i'm not sure an A3 '88 molitor would've sold for over $3800 though.

the best part? the stylematch of course! mears' strong point. according to the LOA, this 1988 molitor jersey has been stylematched to corbis image # U840524B. what is that image? it's a picture of rollie fingers taken in 1984. how's that for a stylematch? a 1988 jersey is verified to be the proper style from a 1984 photo. brilliant. apparently MEARS couldn't find any photos of the 1988 milwaukee brewers. especially fitting considering MEARS is located in milwaukee.

rudy.