Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Doesn't T Vick Deserve A Second Chance?

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    So if I worked for you and one night I decided to go on B&E (Breaking and Entering) Spree - no threat to life, no weapons - and ripped off house after house and got caught, you'd just hire me back after I served my time??? RIGHT...

I'm guessing you don't own any animals either... we're not just talking about KILLING a defenseless animal - we're talking about SEVERELY ABUSING IT to make it want to kill other animals and then if it can't do the job after you've mistreated it for months (if not years) on end you CLUB IT TO DEATH (no gunshot - CLUBBED - where's the mercy???) because it 'failed' you???

And the crime would not have blown over - it's a FELONY crime, not a misdemeanor... so Vick isn't 'just' an Ex-Con, he's a FELON.

Hell man, OJ was AQUITTED of Murder - which means he 'did his time' in the Court of Law... would you hire him???

I have NOTHING against Vick rejoining Society... I have EVERYTHING against him being HANDED the Keys to the Castle on a Silver Platter simply because of who he was...

Denny McClain was busted for WHITE COLLAR Crime - NO Hurting or Killing of ANY Animal or Human - I didn't see the MLB lining up to offer him a chance to play again... oh, that's right... that was back when we weren't scared to speak our minds (i.e. Politcal Correctness) and everyone that did something wrong paid the FULL price... they weren't fed the BS that society somehow failed them and therefore owed them something when they finished serving their time.

And it's arguments like these FOR the THUGS and GANG BANGERS in the NBA and NFL that make me continue to watch MLB. They may not be perfect, but at least their is a set policy with the 3 strikes and you're out... I don't read stories about MLB players pulling guns in Strip Joints or Choking their bosses, etc., etc... Just like th epeople pulling for what's his head from the Giants who shot himself with his own gun in the night club... everyone thinks he should just be able to come back to the NFL - he didn't commit a crime against anyone - but he did committ a FELONY in the State of New York!!! You or I would lose our job and be in jail already. Same should apply to EVERYONE.

- Chris

Hey Chris...........I'm with you.

Why do you think we as a society are in such a state of......mess.

Vick did his time. He paid his debt to society. But he was killing society. He was torturing and killing dogs that didn't make the "cut".

So in honor of the dogs, I saw we throw Mr. Vick in a cage, hand pick a mean, nasty murderous thug from the highest security prison we can find, and tell them both to fight to the death.

If they both tire in their efforts, and fail to "off" eachother, then let's take em out in the "backyard" .................and drown em.

Long live Lassie.

Re: Doesn T Vick Deserve A Second Chance?

Eesch....

Rudy, (kingjammy)

I hadn't yet read your post when I zipped mine off the keyboard. Seems we kind felt the same in his paying his "debt" to society.

I just wanted you to know.....no plagerism intended, just similar in thought. Brought up following the same values I guess.

Regards,

Steve

Could you imagine Vick getting offered a job in Cleveland......

He'll do real well in the "dog pound".

Quote Originally Posted by Ozric View Post
    I'm actually always surprised about these discussions as sports has been and will always be about winning. Nothing else and no matter what...
    in many ways it's a lot like this hobby. auction houses are caught committing all sorts of offenses yet most collectors would gladly overlook almost any offense if it meant obtaining a highly desired piece. an auction house could admit to shill bidding, item doctoring, credit card fraud, you name it..but if a big grail came to market, everyone would bid anyway. to this day, AMI, historic auctions, and broadway rick still get bids.

seriously, at what point is a superbowl trophy simply not worth it? that is, how completely insane does a player have to get in order for fans to finally decide that it's not worth a winning season? or is it worth it at any cost? i'm guessing there are fans who would welcome rae carruth back. at what point do you say that your own revulsion over the crimes committed, sense of sympathy for the victims and sense of morality outweigh your desire for a championship parade? at what point does being a sentient human being take priority over being a sports fan?

vick broke dogs' necks and slammed them to the ground to kill them..but golly gee, can't wait to see what he'll do when he suits up against some rival team! that's gonna be a kick ass sunday! dogs tortured, maimed and killed but it's all good if vick can rack up some wins!

i agree with many who say that what these players do in their private time is their business; that it's not up to fans to judge them as people, only as players. however, you still have to draw the line when it comes to something incredibly egregious like murder. we're not talking about a player who cheats on his wife or his taxes. we're talking about a depraved lunatic who killed and tortured animals for entertainment. there's no rehabilitating something that was never human to begin with. the only silver lining to vick returning to the NFL is that it affords him the opportunity to sustain a life-threatening injury.

rudy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    Joel, do you have any pets? I only ask because it will put some of your opinions in perspective.
    Common, I have owned pets, I do not have any now, but that doesn't mean the guy should not have the same chance to find work that anyone else does with a record or without.

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    Could you imagine Vick getting offered a job in Cleveland......

He'll do real well in the "dog pound".
    That is a funny concept!

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    So, the guy committed a crime, served his time and now he should be able to reenter society and continue his life, right?
    Sure he can continue his life, but not as a high paid athlete.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kudu View Post
    Sure he can continue his life, but not as a high paid athlete.
    Why? Who are we to make those decisions.

If someone owns a team and wants to sign him, they have the right. Their money. If you don't like it, don't watch, don't go, but don't tell society that if you commit a crime, serve your punishment and are rehabilitated now you have to dig ditches for the rest of your life.

I am pretty sure this is how America works. Other countries don't work this way, so if you like their policies better, I assume they will accept new citizens.

Otherwise, this is why I love America. We are the land of the free.

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    Common, I have owned pets, I do not have any now, but that doesn't mean the guy should not have the same chance to find work that anyone else does with a record or without.
    I am from the South, and the term "common" is used as an insult. I am sure this is not how you used it. What is the NFL's policy on hiring convicted felons?

Quote Originally Posted by sportscentury View Post
    I don't have a problem with him playing again, though I will admit that I doubt I'll ever be able to look at or think of Vick again without immediately thinking of the chronic cruelty of animals he financed and otherwise enabled/supported. He did his time and if the NFL wants to let him play, I don't have a problem with it. But it will be hard for me to simply forget his crimes. As for the comparison of Vick's behavior to drunk driving, that is irrelevant. The latter has nothing to do with the assessment or treatment of the former. Murder is worse than theft, but I hope we would not let a thief off the hook simply because he did not murder anyone. Let's stick to the issue.
    The issue is the same,a drunk driver is more dangerous to me than a guy who fought dogs and then killed them,SORRY.I will forgive a thief a lot faster than a murderer,COME ON!!!!!!

WOW,thank god you are not a prison warden! compassion says alot of a society! by the way they were dogs!