Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Baseball card storage

This has been a debate between a friend of mine and I for some time... for his sets, he uses 9 Card pocket pages and Binders - for my sets, I penny sleeve and top load EVERY card and store in 4 row (3200 count) 'mini monster' boxes.

For singles he penny sleeves and top loads - I use magnetic holders and sleeve each holder (if it's going in a box) in a team bag to keep the holders from getting scratched (at $1 + a holder, they are an investment two when you have a few hundred to a few thousand cards in them! - especially ultra thick magnetics which cost almost $5 each!).

If I am displaying a card in one of my cases with McFarlane figs, auto ball, hat... whatever, I don't put the team bag on it as it detracts from seeing the card clearly.

Finally, for smaller team sets (i.e. my Allen & Ginter Rockies team sets where I have had each card autographed by the players) I use 9 Card team frames which have a recess for each card and I can show off the entire team set in one place.

All the best -

Chris

I forgot to mention - having been in the card side for almost 30 years now, the early 'plastic' pages are terrible for your cards - they can and will stick to the cardboard over time and they will tear the cards if you try to peel them out...

At least the newer Ultra Pro pages and such are made of acid free mylars and such (like the penny sleeves) so they don't stick to your cards over time...

- Chris

I stopped using pages a long time ago, it's just way too easy to damage a card taking it in or out. I have contemplated getting the 4 slot pages for postcards and using them for cards in holders but I haven't found any in a store yet and I don't want to order 100.

Anyway, I use a penny sleeve first, this is important as it is soft and keeps the card from coming in contact with a unforgiving surface. Then, I put them in a top loader. The downside of a top loader over the older ultra pros is that debris can get inside (technically the semi-rigids might be best for cards because they have don't move around but it makes me nervous taking them in and out. Anyway, once I put a good card inside a top loader I then use a team bag. It's a good fit and it insures the card never falls out and dust and moisture stay out of the sleeve. It's about as good as the protection will get short of "slabbing" it.

I didn't think of the postcard pages, so they can fit top loaders. You can get smaller packs of those pages at Office Depot.

I like the binder, b/c I can keep them together, then look through them easily. I collect bats, and most of my wall space is dedicated to that, or a few other things.

Thanks

I use Ikea closets with drawers. Each drawer holds about 15k cards when you leave space to flip through them. I put decent cards in penny loaders and cards with money in penny loaders and top loaders and keep them separate. I also have a drawer full of autographed cards that are all in penny and top loaders.

Cards are all in alphabetical order and I used balsa wood as separaters.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Do you have any idea how much that Ikea closet costs? I really like that idea. It certainly would un-clutter my collection

Thanks!

-Brian

there are two different size cabinets. There is a 93" and a 80" height and there are two different widths. Costs are 70-90 for the frames then the drawers cost $80 for a pack of two. I bought them a few years ago and they work great.

So, after a quick look in Ikea's website, it looks like you're talking about buying what they call a "wardrobe frame" and then buying "komplement" drawers for it? Is that correct?

Then I'm guessing you also bought that top shelf also?

Thanks a lot!

-Brian

yeah they are PAX frames and Komplement drawers. and yes the shelf is also a separate purchase and comes in a two pack as well if I remember correctly.