Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

White Sox Jersey Expert Opinions Sought

Hello,
    I picked up this Dick Allen jersey from American Memorabilia a couple of years ago. Was sold as a Salesman's sample (SS). Picture says it all, no name was ever in the collar, no stitch marks in tail from removal of year tags/Wislon tag normal location. I also understand that Allen wore a size 44 in his years with the Sox and mine is a size 42. I have never seen another SOX SS, the jersey is by no means pristine and as clean as looks in photo. Does anyone know of Sox instances in the 70's where players wore jerseys that were not marked in the traditional manner? Thanks,
    Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: White Sox Jersey Expert Opinions Sought

I honestly don't remember ever seeing Salesman samples of other players from that era other than Dick Allen. A road jersey, Dick Allen salesman sample from the same style is out in the hobby somewhere.

Dave Miedema may have some more input on this. I do remember a fake Dick Allen was on display for many years at the Cell until they finally removed it.
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Mike, I sent you a PM on a different matter.
    Steve

Banned

The only legit White Sox gamer of this era I've ever seen without collar or tail strip tagging was a 1975 road Tim Stoddard, hugely sized and a late-season call-up. The Sox made a few jerseys tagged like yours for insiders. A security guard at Comiskey Park, as well as an on-field keeper of the baseballs for the umpires at Wrigley, had #5 jerseys from both Sox and Cubs made up as wearables for himself...he showed me one in 1975 that was a #5 (Bob Coluccio at the time), but was a size 50...way too large for Bobby C.

The fake Dick Allen that karamaxjoe refers to in the new park's display area was a hobby-produced fake of the 1970s....right size and simulated wear, but the wrong color thread for the strip tags (was red, should be black in the knit versions of the style).

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Dave,
    Thank you much for taking the time to share the historical yarn....stuff like that adds to the fun of this collecting venture! My best,
    Steve

Name:  20111028114558.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  269.4 KB

This was Tony Musers jersey he wore before being traded to the Orioles for my father Jesse Jefferson...since my father sore this jersey I had it framed.

[QUOTE=bluejay4eva34;331683]This was Tony Musers jersey he wore before being traded to the Orioles for my father Jesse Jefferson...since my father wore this jersey I had it framed.

I love the display of your Dad's worn jersey and cleats. Very awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Bob
    chisox1967@yahoo.com

Seeking Joe Horlen gamers
    Seeking 1967 White Sox gamers

Thanks,
    Would you know of anyone who may have any type of photos of my father while with the white sox?