Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Please Help Identify Facemask Manufacturer

I've never seen an NOP facemask quite like this one with the angles like this.
    It is definately made to fit on a very large shell.
    Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks,
    Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Re: Please Help Identify Facemask Manufacturer

It's the green dot Schutt XL 2-NOP.

The angle where it clips onto the side doesn't look like a Schutt XL 2-NOP.
    Quote Originally Posted by princip View Post
    It's the green dot Schutt XL 2-NOP.

As you may know in the mid 70's Schutt began distinguishing their facemasks by using a 'red dot' (regular size) or 'green dot' (large size). I know that the early OPO green dot masks had lower weld points similar to the NOPO you have a question about, which produced that strange angle you mentioned. (The guys at Helmet Hut confirmed that Schutt did change the weld point, angles, etc. on the green dot masks slightly.) Tony Dorsett had an OPO one on his Ridge helmet, Terry Bradshaw wore one for a while on his Ridge as well (he wore the later OPO version as well), James Lofton wore one in his rookie year with the Packers, Craig Morton with the Broncos in SB12 and many more. Anyways, my point is maybe they had the same scenario with the NOPO. Just my 'theory'.

Isn't it strange what you remember as a kid? I used to think that Barty Smith's face mask looked funny on his 1979 football card (it is same kind the OP is asking about). His 1978 card is one of my favorite ever.

Quote Originally Posted by warheel View Post
    Isn't it strange what you remember as a kid? I used to think that Barty Smith's face mask looked funny on his 1979 football card (it is same kind the OP is asking about). His 1978 card is one of my favorite ever.
    That is strange. I really hadn't noticed the angle until now, with these Barty Smith cards.

THANKS A MILLION WARWHEEL!!
    Princip had it right too, I can see the green dot on the facemask on the card as well. This is one of my favorite helmets and it irked me that I didn't know who made the facemask. THANKS AGAIN!!
    I have several old cards from the '70's. Why are the helmet decals so often missing??
    Dave.
    Quote Originally Posted by warheel View Post

Ask and you shall receive...
    All original but the chinstrap and the facemask clips which were broke when I obtained the helmet.
    Riddell Micro Fit, Dated 1976. Three different player identifiers in or on the helmet...

Very Beautiful!! I can't begin to tell you what a great piece I think that is.
    Got any more pics to share??

Quote Originally Posted by helmets View Post
    All original but the chinstrap and the facemask clips which were broke when I obtained the helmet.
    Riddell Micro Fit, Dated 1976. Three different player identifiers in or on the helmet...

Quote Originally Posted by helmets View Post
    Thanks for the pics. That helmet is stunning, even though I think that version of the mask is a little wonky, with that angle. Oh and those vintage schutt clips are a nightmare. They do not pass the test of time; very fragile.