Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

1997 Mac Jersey-french Jackie Patch????

Current offering in the Lelands auction:

1997 Cardinals McGwire home jersey worn on Labor Day, 1997:
    http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?lot=542&auctionid=905

By no means am I questioning the autneticity, just insight on the Jackie Robinson patch. This particular jersey features the French version.
    Name:  MAC JACKIE PATCH.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  39.9 KB

As was the norm for the Cardinals and non-Canadian teams, the English version was worn on the sleeve, not the French version. Does anyone have any insight as to why this special set of jerseys would feature this French version Jackie patch?

As a side note, the regular season game jerseys did not feature front numbers, yet these one day specials did.

Any insight about the patch is appreciated.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@comcast.net

Re: 1997 Mac Jersey-french Jackie Patch????

Howard,

I've seen two other jerseys from this game -- a Matt Morris with the French patch and a Gary Gaetti with the English patch. My hunch is that Rawlings, knowing the jerseys were being made for one game only, just used whatever was on hand. Maybe they saw an opportunity to rid themselves of a few remaining French patches. Or maybe it was just an error on their part. The fact they mistakenly put uniform numbers on the front tells me they weren't exactly paying close attention during the process of prepping these particular jerseys.

when i first saw this jersey in the auction, i was about to throw down ALOT of money for it. Well i did my homework and it turns out McGwire had only 1 at bat in the game. He pinch hit. All that money for a jersey that he had 1 measly At bat...Nah ill pass. Nice auto, but i need more use then 1 at bat.

Yeah, but he had 2 plate appearances - one walk one K.
    email is matmuell at umich.edu

Homework is always the key on buying. I like many have been looking for a Mac GU Cards Home jersey for years. You can goto retrosheet.org and check it out. Now up to near $2000 for a jersey Mac pinch hit in walking and striking out. He played 1st and made 3 put-outs. Wow... I think I'll pass.

RK
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Banned

This is one hell of a great Mac jersey:

1. Worn only for the Cardinals special event with the rare one day patch
    Name:  card care.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  54.5 KB

2. Comes with a team LOA

3. Autographed (although vertical between the back #'s). Good luck
    getting a game jersey signed by MAC since he retired!

The shirt was worn for the special event, is perfect in every fashion, and has a team LOA.

Why the negative posts? If collectors are seeking a regular season game shirt, keep looking and I'm sure you'll locate one at a later date. Otherwise, don't diminish this particular jersey that's being offered by Lelands simply for the fact that it was only worn for nine innings.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@comcast.net

Howard - My prior post was not meant to taint the jersey. If anything, I was providing the prior poster enough information to double his best bid, 1 PA vs. 2 PA. Anyhow, all kidding aside, I don't think people are trashing the value of the jersey, just providing thoughts of relative value.

To me, part of the value of having a McGwire jersey is having something worn when making baseball history. Especially with a McGwire on its way to a $3,000 price tag, I think people are hopeful that history is a homerun or two, or something more than 2 uneventful trips to the plate. Of course, the flip side of this are the rare aspects of the jersey you discussed, home Cards, auto'd, weird French patch. And one you didn't mention, the atypical-for-'97-jerseys numbers on the front enhance display of the jersey from the front. Bottom line is would you pay more for the potential piece of baseball history, or a nearly certain authentic piece? Some prefer the history I guess.

As a bidder on the jersey, I don't mind seeing people call issue to the jersey's obvious "flaws", or at least flaws to their perceived value. The fewer interested bidders the better. The one question I had, and please take no offense, is where the defense of the jersey and its value comes from on your end? Is it a subconcious love of all things McGwire, and with it a defense of the value of your collection? I am guilty of this with McGwire and Favre. Was the jersey ever in your collection? Are you the consignor? Just want to see Lelands have a successful auction? Just curious.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mattmueller View Post
    I think people are hopeful that history is a homerun or two, or something more than 2 uneventful trips to the plate.
    collectors seem to go coocoo over mother's day pink bats and jackie robinson day jerseys.

anyway, getty images has a shot of mcgwire taking a swing from this game and the shot shows the JR patch. maybe if someone has access to getty's high-res photos, like barry meisel, they could see if the patch in the photo is the french version.

rudy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mattmueller View Post
    Howard - My prior post was not meant to taint the jersey. If anything, I was providing the prior poster enough information to double his best bid, 1 PA vs. 2 PA. Anyhow, all kidding aside, I don't think people are trashing the value of the jersey, just providing thoughts of relative value.

To me, part of the value of having a McGwire jersey is having something worn when making baseball history. Especially with a McGwire on its way to a $3,000 price tag, I think people are hopeful that history is a homerun or two, or something more than 2 uneventful trips to the plate. Of course, the flip side of this are the rare aspects of the jersey you discussed, home Cards, auto'd, weird French patch. And one you didn't mention, the atypical-for-'97-jerseys numbers on the front enhance display of the jersey from the front. Bottom line is would you pay more for the potential piece of baseball history, or a nearly certain authentic piece? Some prefer the history I guess.

As a bidder on the jersey, I don't mind seeing people call issue to the jersey's obvious "flaws", or at least flaws to their perceived value. The fewer interested bidders the better. The one question I had, and please take no offense, is where the defense of the jersey and its value comes from on your end? Is it a subconcious love of all things McGwire, and with it a defense of the value of your collection? I am guilty of this with McGwire and Favre. Was the jersey ever in your collection? Are you the consignor? Just want to see Lelands have a successful auction? Just curious.

Matt
    Matt-

Regardless of 1, 2, or 3 AB's, this is a very rare style Cardinals jersey, let alone being worn by MAC. Based upon the features noted in my previous post, and the scarcity of these one game jerseys surfacing, it's a great collectible. Up until this jersey being offered in this auction, I had never seen it surface. As an avid MAC equipment collector, this would/will be a welcome addition to my collection. I've bid and consigned with Lelands for over 20 years. It's a pleasure dealing with professionals who run an honest auction. Some of my finest items were obtained through them and I hope to add one more by this weekend!

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@comcast.net

Howard - As I indicated above, I happen to agree with you on some merits of the jersey. In a way, I was hoping you were the consignor because it means you wouldn't be bidding. Those next couple of bids sure do get pricey fast.

Rudy - I don't think anybody is disputing the jersey's authenticity, are they? As a side note, I think the Getty pic is of a mighty swing and a miss, better lower my high bid....