Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

1896 Spalding Advertising Piece

Picked this up off of ebay last week and just got it today...any of you guys ever seen this before? The condition is outstanding.

Re: 1896 Spalding Advertising Piece

Hi Dan- I have seen these Spalding die cut adverstisements before. Occassionally they pop up on ebay. There is a set of them from different sports. I know I have seen golf, football and bicylcing several times before, and there may be other sports in the set but not sure how many. Yours is in amazing condition. I rarely see them in such good condition. I think they go for about $100+ or so but I imagine the baseball is the most valuable one and may be the hardest to fine, so yours is probably much more than $100.

There was a book published around 1980 called "Antique Advertising Paper Dolls" that reproduced a lot of adversting die cuts in exact color reprints that you could cut out. I have no idea if these Spalding die cuts were reproduced in that book, and yours certainly does look authentic, but if you ever run across that book you may want to flip throught it.

Thanks for the info Joe...I posted on the Net54 board and these actually have a catalog designation "H818". I just checked Amazon for the book you're talking about and they have it for just a couple of bucks...I might order it to be sure, but this has the look and feel of vintage, but you can never be too sure anymore.

Dan- Check this out!! You got to watch how this auction does.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Complete-Set-of-...QQcmdZViewItem

If it sells for that much I would say you did real real well!!

I like the comment..."Baseball player is missing the top part of his bat. (I have yet to see one intact)."...

...until our friend Dan snagged one on ebay!!

Thanks for the link...I've gotten a few comments from people today saying this is very difficult to find with the bat intact.

Joe, I got the paper cutout book today from Amazon and there are no Spalding advertising items in it.....some other neat stuff, but very relieved to not find this piece in there.