Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

BMH - I could use your help...

Brian -

Just wondering about dates on H&B '40K' bats with Cork Grips. I have seen quite a few pop up lately, but they are always described as 'rare'? Generally also described as being from the 1920's or 1930's...

Any thoughts???

Thanks -

Chris

Re: BMH - I could use your help...

Brian -

I am bumping this up as I think it got lost in the shuffle.

I've seen you answer some other posts that cam up after this

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

- Chris

the 40K Kork Grip was patented September 15, 1914 and was used at least until the mid-1930's. There is documented use of the 40K model at the major and minor league levels as evidenced by written records and H&B factory sidewritten bats. As for "rarity", there are far fewer examples of 40K bats out there than the more common 125 models. The era dating is similar to that of the 125 models of the same period as well as the differences between retail and professional models. Not sure if this answers your questions, but I hope it helps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Always looking for vintage game used bats of Houston Buffs and Colt .45's players.

I couldn't have said it better than Marcus, especially since I have no information what so ever on the Model 40 series bats. Good information to know, thanks Marcus.
    Brian Hillerich

Quote Originally Posted by BoneRubbedBat View Post
    the 40K Kork Grip was patented September 15, 1914 and was used at least until the mid-1930's. There is documented use of the 40K model at the major and minor league levels as evidenced by written records and H&B factory sidewritten bats. As for "rarity", there are far fewer examples of 40K bats out there than the more common 125 models. The era dating is similar to that of the 125 models of the same period as well as the differences between retail and professional models. Not sure if this answers your questions, but I hope it helps.
    Marcus -

Thank you for the input. When you talk about facctory side written bats, are you talking about grease pencil dates and such?

Thanks again!

- Chris

Quote Originally Posted by BMH View Post
    I couldn't have said it better than Marcus, especially since I have no information what so ever on the Model 40 series bats. Good information to know, thanks Marcus.
    Brian -

Thanks for the follow up. As always, I really appreciate your effort and help here on GUU.

- Chris

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    Marcus -

When you talk about facctory side written bats, are you talking about grease pencil dates and such?

Thanks again!

- Chris
    Yes. I have 40K bats in my collection that have the players name stamped on the barrel as well as the H&B grease pencil sidewriting with the same players names, confirming their use and subsequent return to H&B.

Marcus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Always looking for vintage game used bats of Houston Buffs and Colt .45's players.

Here is an earlier blog that touches on 40K bats, as well as H & B 250 bats, etc.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/blog/post.php?topic=186

Good Luck

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com