Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Has anyone had any dealings with poolsharky_05@yahoo.com (Justin Manning)

I apologize in advance for clogging up the boards with a post such as this, but I was wondering if anyone here on the forum had any past dealings with or had conducted any transactions with a gentleman by the name of Justin Manning. I am not certain if this indivdual is a member here but I was hoping for some feedback. I had recently purchased an Adam Dunn Reds Gamer from Justin that was purported to be uncracked. Upon receipt of the bat I must say I was glad to see that the bat is most definately hammered with use it is quite clear that the bat is indeed slightly cracked. Being that I only purchase and collect uncracked gamers I immediately notified Justin of my findings and filed a dispute with both Paypal and my credit card. I did receive a reply from Justin denying my request for a refund as he stated that the bat "was solid as I swung it many times myself to check and see" prior to shipping. I am quite confused by this reasoning ,as I am certain that unless a bat is completely broken in two pieces we can all "swing it" crack or no crack. The seller continues to insist that the item was damaged in the shipping process. Having handled several hundred bats over the years I just do not see how this is possible. This slight crack to me stems from game use and is not the product of carrier mishandling in the shipping process. I do not know if this seller is purposefully being deceptive or if he simply does not have an understanding of what makes a bat uncracked vs. cracked. It is for this reason I am looking to the forum for guidance. In fact, should this seller be a member of this forum, I would not be opposed to sending the bat to a mutually agreeable third-party member of this community/forum for review. I apologize for the legnthy post but can any members offer any further insight as to both this eller and any other possible remedies to resolve this unfortunate situation? Thank you for your time. - George Richardson (Gyro123@aol.com)

Re: Has anyone had any dealings with poolsharky_05@yahoo.com (Justin Manning)

George,

This has happened to me - but I don't mind cracks, so it wasn't as big of a deal.

Did you get a good deal on the bat? If so, why not just flip it and start over. Post it in the Collector to Collector forum...that's if you really don't want it.

It's pretty obvious you will get nothing from the seller based on his emails to you. At this point, sending the bat back to the seller and waiting for a refund seems almost like a gamble.

It sounds to me like he is either a very new collector - or someone who knows little about the hobby. If he did, he most certainly would have mentioned the crack. I have shipped and been shipped hundreds of bats, and though the packaging has been destroyed (to the point of the bat being exposed for all to see) and never have I had one crack from shipping. If the crack was long and hairline - MAYBE shipping could have facilitated a larger crack - but unlikely.

Unless you really want this model Dunn bat, you should just sell it to someone who wants it. In the feedback comments, make sure you mention his description - and ding him on his ITEM AS DESCRIBED stars.

Otherwise, you are taking a chance at stressing over a guy who's bats are pretty common - and probably has more than a few uncracked gamers floating out there.

You probably knew most of this, but figured I'd give you my take. Good luck.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Probably not the answer you want to hear, but there is somebody on the Items Wanted board who was looking for a Dunn bat. Could try and sell it there and just pick up a new one. Dunn bats are always on ebay, so shouldn't be too hard finding another.
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

At first I wan't going to even respond to this guys thread, but in light of his recent e-mail I am compelled to let everyone know the TRUTH. First off, this bat was NOT cracked at time of shipment. I even contacted the previous owner from which I bought it from who stated the bat was not cracked when he had it either. The truth is GYRO had a youkilis bat for sale, which I expresed interest in. I tried to send him the payment for the bat but my paypal account needed my bank account verified. Which I am still in the process of doing. Then all of a sudden I start getting e-mails from GYRO hassling me about the payment. I explained to him the situation, and told him to go ahead sell it elsewhere if he didn't want to wait since I was having issues. He did not repond to that very well. Needless to say two days later he gets his dunn bat, and now all of this. Seems a bit of a coincidence. Now I get an e-mail today telling me how he is some hotshot lawyer and is threatening me to get his refund. something about e-commerce laws or something ridiculous. If he is some hotshot lawyer why is a $200 bat such a big deal? So GYRO, next time you want to come on here and try to make me look foolish, maybe you should try telling the WHOLE story.

What do you guys think? I do not have a problem with a refund, but this bat was not cracked when I shipped it to him. Am I obligated "by law" to give him a refund for shipping damge? Which is exactly what we have here. Not to mention I never said to him I check bats for cracks "by swinging them". That is just absurd. I have been collecting for 10 years. I know a thing or two about bat cracks and how to locate them. Just wondering what you guys think......

I guess it all depends....

I prefer a slightly cracked bat as it shows that it was used. To me, that's a selling point.

If a bat was damaged in shipping, that lends to the fact that it was not packaged correctly. I'd have to see how it arrived to be sure. If the out packaging is destroyed, then it happened in shipping. If the outer packaging is fine, then it was more than likely shipped cracked.

Lets see some pics from both parties. We'll see where the crack wasnt, and then where the crack is now.

it's awefully hard to crack a baseball bat... the only way I would see it happening in shipping is if it is crushed...

a crushed bat and a cracked bat will look very very different

I agree... pics would decide it
    Bert
    ---------------

Always looking for Matt Wieters, Tettleton, and that Orioles magic

shoremen44@gmail.com

Here is a link to the auction I won on e-bay for the dunn bat. It even says clearly uncracked.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...lenotsupported

I have erased the pics off my pc, but here is a link to MY ebay listing which bought.....
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250427843036

It's hard to see the handles, but the chances of two owners not seeing a crack which he claims he noticed immediately upon seeing the bat are pretty slim....wouldn't you think???

As mentioned in my initial post I am more then happy to send the bat to a third party authenticator who I feel will unequivocally state that the bat is not only cracked but cracked in a manner that is consistant with Major League Game Use. Should a cost be involved I would gladly eat the cost should the authenticator not agree. As many posters have alluded to bats tend not to crack in the shipping process and when they do they do not slightly crack along a handle. Once again, I am more then happy to avail myself to an reputable and noted third parties opinion.

"eat the cost if he does not agree" certainly you are not implying that I will pay the fee? George, I am more than willing to work with you on the problem as I have stated in my e-mails. Seriously, a $200 adam dunn bat. It's not like this was a high end collectible, so why is all of this even necessary......honestly.....But if you want to continue to try and make it look like I misled you I will stop at nothing to prove to you that wasn't the case.......