Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thread: D-Day

Hybrid View

Re: D-Day

Sometimes photos help tell the story.

Here is my Dad - a boy about the age of 18. He's Number 33. Frost, MN, population 175. Tall, he always stood out.

He was drafted at 19 by the Army. And was rejected. They said they didn't need any targets. Tall, he always stood out.

He drove to St. Paul the same week to try to enlist in the Navy - away from local draft board. Standing in line, shrugging his shoulders, slouching - anything to look shorter - the recruiter poked him in the side with his elbow and said, "Stand up straight, Stretch. You'll make it." Straight. Proud. Tall, he always stood out.

Here his is at age 21 (see red circle in photo). Serving on LST 351 in Italy 1943. The photo made National Geographic, July 1944. Tall, he always stood out.

Allen H. Hanson (b. 1921 - d. 1977) - LST 351 - MoMM 1st Class - African Theatre, European Theatre, Allied Campaign, Italy, Sicily, Africa, England, Scotland, France, D-Day Invasion (Omaha, Utah, Juno, Gold Beaches), Salerno, Anzio, Polermo, etc. 4 1/2 years on two LSTs. Seven bronze stars, Admiral's Commendation.

A boy. A man. My Dad.

Tall, he always stood out.

I believe it was my great grandfather that served in D-Day and other tours in WW2. I still have his Honorable discharge card and acouple of his buttons,hats and metals. On his card it says he was a truck driver for the Suppy Battalion for the 2nd armored division. I wish when i was younger i had asked him questions but i knew nothing about war at that time.

I am literally in awe of the great posts/stories in this thread. I sometimes feel like I am the only one out here that remembers, cares, and is proud. You guys have truly lifted my spirits today and for that I thank each and every one of you for taking the time to reply and sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by nyjetsfan14 View Post
    I sometimes feel like I am the only one out here that remembers, cares, and is proud.
    I know the feeling. Anytime I stand and see the Colors march in - be it a parade or a ballgame - I fight to hold the tears back and wonder if I am the only one.

As a permanent remembrance since the day Dad died, when I stand for the National Anthem, I make it a point every single time to look at the flag and remember him.

The greatest treasure I own is a flag that flew on LST 351 when he served that is tattered and full of shrapnel holes.

Just saw this. We owe an incredible debt to those who fought for us, of course not just on D Day but all the wars. However D Day is when we specially remember those who fought in Europe in WW 2 . I can't get over the courage of those who went into battle with the knowledge they could be killed or horribly wounded. And those who survived D Day then continued to do the same thing in battle after battle. Its an incredible thing to be brave and risk your life on a single occasion, as courageous as that is, but to do it over and over day after day as our soldiers fighting in Europe did is something I find hard to comprehend. Thank you for posting.