Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D-Day

D-Day

Many have forgotten or don't care. Maybe a few of us can tell our children and others so that the unbelievable sacrifices of those men for the cause of freedom for all will live on.

Re: D-Day

Very well said.

Banned

Never mind ballplayers or action stars...guys like these (as well as Korea, Viet Nam, and Iraq/Afghanistan) are the REAL heroes!

Dave M.
    Chicag area

Watch "Saving Private Ryan" and you'll get a realistic view of the Hell our GI's and Allies went through on this historic day.

Watching that movie a few years ago made me appreciate what they went through a hell of a lot more.

If Hitler's Army was not defeated we could all be speaking German or Japanese right now.
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

NYJetsFan,

It's easy to let the day go by and forget that 65 years ago many of our own family members were involved in the liberation of Europe. Thanks for the post.

I have visited the Normandy beaches many times after having lived in Belgium and France for seven years. My son's great-grandfather (Bill Husband) was transferred from the 29th Infantry landing craft the day before the invasion and assigned to General Cota's detachment (Cota landed on Omaha Beach in the second wave and is credited with forcing the troops off the beach inland). Of Bill's two hundred friends and comrades who stayed aboard that landing craft, only three were still fit for duty after the landing and inland push. The 197 others were either dead or wounded.

On one trip to Normandy I spoke with an old inn-keeper (Mr. Piprelle) who was five years old at the time of the invasion. He told me that it was absolutely unexpected and that he and his friend watched the invasion from their bedroom with "illegal" binoculars. The people in the town had no idea who was invading because they had never seen American military uniforms. Only five civilians died during the invasion and he remembered all of their names, including the name of the baker's little girl who was killed.

From Bill Husband's journals I was able to show my then-wife within about 50 yards where her grandfather had come ashore during the landing. You still see the reminants of artillery emplacements, tanks, bunkers and pill-boxes. Now and then some piece of equipment will wash ashore even today. I've personally seen a US Army spoon and hand grenade washed ashore.

I also have seen where my great-uncle parachuted with the 101st Airborne Division on D-Day at St. Maire Eglise and in Holland's Operation Market Garden where he was killed. Seeing the beaches and hearing the stories of the people who were there is amazing; particularly when you compare the sacrifices they made compared to some of the attitudes of Americans today.

The French in the towns at and around the beaches couldn't be more friendly to Americans. I suppose we should also remember that if it weren't for the support of the French during the American War of Independence we'd all be speaking English. Wait...

Thanks again for jogging these memories,

Jason

I was just having my coffee, reading a couple of D-day stories from a couple of surviving participants. Every year, no matter how old I am or what frame of mind I'm in, everything else just kind of stops in my life. I read, I watch the video excerpts...and tears roll down my face.

My Uncle, my mothers only brother, died in WWII. I never was able to meet him.

My father, who is no longer with us, God rest his soul, while serving in Germany, was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross from General Patton himself, for wartime bravery.

These days that come every year and remind us of all we have to be greatful for hurt deeply. But they also represent us as Americans, show the character of this great country and what we stand for. I am proud to be living in the country of the "brothers in arms" who also have family members who did their part.

They were the greatest generation in the history of this world.

Sometimes photos help tell the story.

Here is my Dad - a boy about the age of 18. He's Number 33. Frost, MN, population 175. Tall, he always stood out.

He was drafted at 19 by the Army. And was rejected. They said they didn't need any targets. Tall, he always stood out.

He drove to St. Paul the same week to try to enlist in the Navy - away from local draft board. Standing in line, shrugging his shoulders, slouching - anything to look shorter - the recruiter poked him in the side with his elbow and said, "Stand up straight, Stretch. You'll make it." Straight. Proud. Tall, he always stood out.

Here his is at age 21 (see red circle in photo). Serving on LST 351 in Italy 1943. The photo made National Geographic, July 1944. Tall, he always stood out.

Allen H. Hanson (b. 1921 - d. 1977) - LST 351 - MoMM 1st Class - African Theatre, European Theatre, Allied Campaign, Italy, Sicily, Africa, England, Scotland, France, D-Day Invasion (Omaha, Utah, Juno, Gold Beaches), Salerno, Anzio, Polermo, etc. 4 1/2 years on two LSTs. Seven bronze stars, Admiral's Commendation.

A boy. A man. My Dad.

Tall, he always stood out.

I believe it was my great grandfather that served in D-Day and other tours in WW2. I still have his Honorable discharge card and acouple of his buttons,hats and metals. On his card it says he was a truck driver for the Suppy Battalion for the 2nd armored division. I wish when i was younger i had asked him questions but i knew nothing about war at that time.

I am literally in awe of the great posts/stories in this thread. I sometimes feel like I am the only one out here that remembers, cares, and is proud. You guys have truly lifted my spirits today and for that I thank each and every one of you for taking the time to reply and sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by nyjetsfan14 View Post
    I sometimes feel like I am the only one out here that remembers, cares, and is proud.
    I know the feeling. Anytime I stand and see the Colors march in - be it a parade or a ballgame - I fight to hold the tears back and wonder if I am the only one.

As a permanent remembrance since the day Dad died, when I stand for the National Anthem, I make it a point every single time to look at the flag and remember him.

The greatest treasure I own is a flag that flew on LST 351 when he served that is tattered and full of shrapnel holes.