Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: What do you want to happen to your collection when you die?

Speaking in realistic terms, those of you that have worthwhile collections understand......"toys" have seals that dry up, oil leaks, they go out of style, they break down.....they require maintenance.

Houses are always a great investment, but also require upkeep, and sometimes a lot more than expected.

But historic sports collectibles that are one of a kind only become more historic and collectible as time goes on, as more interest is developed in the sport. Every year there are more and more "fans" who eventually desire to participate in the wonderful hobby we enjoy.

You do the math. Supply and demand.

All you have to do with your collection is display it proudly, protect it, and enjoy it as it enhances your life exponentially.

So when your number is called, I would think the decent thing to do would be to allow your family to do as they see fit with it. If it truly is a collection of importance and magnitude, then most likely you have already had discussions with them about this very subject, and the decision has already been made.

But in those cases where you have something that only means something to you?......then maybe it's not important what the outcome is, and then it's OK to donate it to whomever you see fit. Far be it from me to tell anyone what to do with their possessions.

If the kids don't want it, I'll sell it off to someone who wants it and use the extra cash to fund my retirement. At this rate, gas will be around $7 a gallon - and I'll need every dime to fill my RV.

I donate plenty to charity - I work hard, and don't get paid enough, so I don't think it's a stretch to say that.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Scene: In front of my house

Man: How much for the bat?
    My Daughter: Oh. How about $10?
    Man: I don't know. It has a crack. See. (show bat crack)
    My Daughter: OK $2.50 and it yours.
    Man: Gee. Thanks. (hand $2.50)
    My Daughter: No, thank you. If you are into sports, there's another box of old sport equipment over there.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post
    If the kids don't want it, I'll sell it off to someone who wants it and use the extra cash to fund my retirement. At this rate, gas will be around $7 a gallon - and I'll need every dime to fill my RV.

I donate plenty to charity - I work hard, and don't get paid enough, so I don't think it's a stretch to say that.

I agree Dave. Between the cash and blood donations and the walk for this and that over the years.....I truly don't have a significant cash investment in game used anymore. At one time I had a sizeable stash but capitalized on the sale of most of it after the 2004 WS, and focused more on personal collecting, such as Eisenreich and 2 HoF'ers.

Not that this has any GU relevance, but I would have a much tougher call on how to divest myself and/or my family of all the Civil War-related stuff I have. Well into the 6 figures, that was my first passion in collecting and would set up my survivors nicely.

Then I got into collectable firearms, also a great investment and the ones I don't take to the range are the ones that aslo will always have a devoted buyer following.

Next came baseball GU & GW, which I cherish, but which would truly be among the first things I would liquidate if I had to, but God willing, it will stay in my sports room, cuz I ain't checking out till I'm ready to.

Quote Originally Posted by eisenreich8 View Post
    cuz I ain't checking out till I'm ready to.
    Make sure the 200-year old blunderbuss you take to the shooting range knows that...

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by rj_lucas View Post
    Make sure the 200-year old blunderbuss you take to the shooting range knows that...

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com
    Is this a "Pawn Stars" reference?

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com

Yikes Rick, I wouldn't dare live-fire an antique. Those babies did their job in their century, my collectable/modern ones better hold together.......

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    Is this a "Pawn Stars" reference?
    Yeah, I could see Corey with a blunderbuss, going all pilgrim on Chumlee's backside with a muzzle full of pea gravel. Good times...

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com

Yeah, I could see Corey with a blunderbuss, going all pilgrim on Chumlee's backside with a muzzle full of pea gravel. Good times...

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com
    I love that show, having flashbacks of Chumlee testing out the cattle roping machine..
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

"Pawn Stars" is a great show. Joe six-pack's "Roadshow".