Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ESPN.com Value Of Bonds HR Baseballs

Here is an interesting tidbit from Darren Rovell's always insightful blog about sports business and collectibles which can be found here
    http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...=rovell_darren

The worth of No. 714 and 715

posted: Tuesday, May 9, 2006 | Feedback

I've been getting a lot of e-mails about this, so I went to Michael Barnes, who has become the broker of almost all the noteworthy home run balls. Barnes brokered deals for Bonds' No. 73, McGwire's No. 70 and Sammy Sosa's No. 66, among others. Barnes advises that anyone who catches these hold on to them because the value probably won't go down over time (unless MLB decides to add an asterisk at some point). Barnes believes the value of the ball will be determined by the number of home runs Bonds ultimately ends his career with. If Bonds doesn't beat Aaron, Barnes reasons that No. 714 and No. 715 will be valued in the $25,000 to $50,000 range. If Bonds does surpass Aaron, home run balls number 755 and 756 are likely to be in the six-figure range, with the latter -- the new record -- possibly being worth more than $1 million. These are all guesses because the balls likely will be auctioned off, which means all it takes is a bidding war for the price to go up.

Recent HR ball prices
    Player HR No. Amount
    Mark McGwire 70 $3 million
    Hank Aaron 755 $600,000 to $700,000*
    Barry Bonds 73 $517,500
    Sammy Sosa 66 $175,000
    Barry Bonds 70 $60,375
    Mark McGwire 63, 64, 67, 68 $57,500 each
    Barry Bonds 600 $46,304
    Sammy Sosa 500 $37,000
    Mark McGwire Final HR (583) $25,000

*Private sale, estimated.

Re: ESPN.com Value Of Bonds HR Baseballs

Great post. It is amazing in hindsight that the McGwire 70 sold for $3,000,000.

I noticed the Bonds 700 HR ball wasn't on the list which sold on that Overstock.com website for $804,000+, and then Sotheby's sold it last year in an auction for $85,000+. The projection of what 715 will sell for shows further deterioration from that price level.

I just came up with this. You would have to be retarded to pay that much for bonds 714 and 715 or 756 because just think in less then 10 years A-rod will mostly brake hanks record maybe. The only reason someone payed 3 million for Marks ball is because they thought no body would ever brake that record and then look years later barry bonds broke it.

Banned

Yanks I totally agree with what your saying I have been saying that for years. "What does it matter what Bonds does, Arod is going to break whatever Bonds does anyway"

Yanks here is the kicker though, recently in an interview concerning the home run matter, AROD said he might not even play that much longer, he said he might retire in the next 3 or 4 years.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025
    I just came up with this. You would have to be retarded to pay that much for bonds 714 and 715 or 756 because just think in less then 10 years A-rod will mostly brake hanks record maybe. The only reason someone payed 3 million for Marks ball is because they thought no body would ever brake that record and then look years later barry bonds broke it.
    Todd MacFarlane bought the McGwire ball because he has more money than he knows what to do with. There is money in comic books!

Talking Re: ESPN.com Value Of Bonds HR Baseballs

While ARod and Pujols both possess the amazing skills to assault these records, 10-15 years is a long time and a lot can happen over that time period. While it is fun to speculate what a player will ultimately do in their career, look at examples like Jimmie Foxx who basically ran out of gas at 34, McGwire and Sosa were both pretty much cooked at 36 (perhaps due to reasons beyond normal ageing) and those are just three examples. It is really hard to say for certain if these players will ever reach these stratospheric numbers. Much will depend on whether or not the game remains at a high level of interest to them going forward. Players like ARod and Pujols both of whom were in the majors a fairly early ages may decide to go another direction or just get tired of playing. However, if Bonds comes back next year as his agent is suggesting, short of every pitcher walking bonds at every at bat, their is no way he will not break Aaron's record. In fact his agent suggested he may go to the AL to DH and go for 1000 home runs. As ridiculous as that sounds would anybody put it past him if for no other reason than to piss people off.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.miracle
    While ARod and Pujols both possess the amazing skills to assault these records, 10-15 years is a long time and a lot can happen over that time period. While it is fun to speculate what a player will ultimately do in their career, look at examples like Jimmie Foxx who basically ran out of gas at 34, McGwire and Sosa were both pretty much cooked at 36 (perhaps due to reasons beyond normal ageing) and those are just three examples. It is really hard to say for certain if these players will ever reach these stratospheric numbers. Much will depend on whether or not the game remains at a high level of interest to them going forward. Players like ARod and Pujols both of whom were in the majors a fairly early ages may decide to go another direction or just get tired of playing. However, if Bonds comes back next year as his agent is suggesting, short of every pitcher walking bonds at every at bat, their is no way he will not break Aaron's record. In fact his agent suggested he may go to the AL to DH and go for 1000 home runs. As ridiculous as that sounds would anybody put it past him if for no other reason than to piss people off.
    Mr. Miracle is right on point. Look more recently at a guy named Ken Griffey Jr. In 1998, many had him projected to 800+ career Home Runs.

Banned

Allstar and your point is?

I dont know if you noticed Griffey Jr is at 536 and had a Great comeback season last year with 35 HR'S. He is having a rough start this year but if he can stay healthy for the remainder of the year he could have another and if he wanted to gun for the Home Run Record all he needs to be is a DH and he will if not break the record come pretty dam close.

If you have three million to spend on a baseball i think your retarted why dont you give that to people that need it. To homeless people or to a charity. I just think thats stupid. And i cant see A-rod retireing in 3 or 4 years. But if he does then he does hey look at all the money he has.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025
    If you have three million to spend on a baseball i think your retarted why dont you give that to people that need it. To homeless people or to a charity. I just think thats stupid. And i cant see A-rod retireing in 3 or 4 years. But if he does then he does hey look at all the money he has.
    Why don't you call Todd and ask him?