Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCD Drops Coaches Corner- NY Daily News

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/iteam/2009/06/sports-collectors-digest-drops.html

June 12, 2009

Sports Collector's Digest drops major advertiser

by Michael O'Keeffe
    Here's one sign that the scandal-stained sports memorabilia biz is getting serious about cleaning up its act: Sports Collector's Digest, the hobby Bible, will stop accepting advertising from Coaches Corner, one of its biggest advertisers.

Collectors and memorabilia industry leaders have complained about Coaches Corner for years, saying the autographed balls, game-used bats and other memorabilia offered by the Souderton, Pa., auction house appears fraudulent and doesn't pass the sniff test.

The marketplace certainly doesn't have much respect for the company's offerings. As the Daily News reported in a story last year, prices for items sold by Coaches Corner are often a fraction of the prices for similar items offered by other auction houses. In a January 2007 Coaches Corner auction, a Josh Gibson-signed ball sold for $1,158, a real steal, since the Negro League star's autograph is very rare and expensive. Robert Edward Auctions, meanwhile, sold a Josh Gibson postcard for $81,000.

Coaches Corner executives did not return calls; SCD publisher Dean Listle declined comment.

Robert Edward Auctions president Rob Lifson was one of those who urged SCD to purge Coaches Corner from its pages. "I think there was a groundswell of opinion that forced them to do something," Lifson said.
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Re: SCD Drops Coaches Corner- NY Daily News

what took so long???

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Sports Collector's Digest, the hobby Bible

It's not even acceptable bathroom reading.
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Banned

This will have very little, if any, effect on Coach's Corner auction sales.

After all, how many people still subscribe to SCD?

Coach's Corner has a built in bidder list in the thousands, that they have been acquiring over the past 20 years.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sammy View Post
    This will have very little, if any, effect on Coach's Corner auction sales.

After all, how many people still subscribe to SCD?

Coach's Corner has a built in bidder list in the thousands, that they have been acquiring over the past 20 years.
    Well, SCD by showing some guts on this, at least has a CHANCE to rebuild their magazine and restore their reputation. It'll be tough, but they do have a shot if they can get through the recession. IMHO...

Quote Originally Posted by mvandor View Post
    Well, SCD by showing some guts on this, at least has a CHANCE to rebuild their magazine and restore their reputation. It'll be tough, but they do have a shot if they can get through the recession. IMHO...
    I applaud SCD for finally pulling the CC advertising. With that being said, we can start placing our bets on which week the last issue of SCD will be.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Quote Originally Posted by sportscentury View Post

It's not even acceptable bathroom reading.

Reid:

Can you tell me where to get your little laughing man. I could really use that one myself sometimes
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Brett - feel free to just copy and paste mine (it's that simple). Or, you can google "smiley face emoticons" (or something similar) and the endless sea of options will be at your fingertips. This little guy is far more expressive than "LOL" in my opinion.
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Let's see, if we shut down one questionable memorabilia dealer every 20 years, we should have this industry cleaned up in, um, carry the two...

In about 2080 years. There's hope for collectors everywhere!

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by sportscentury View Post
    Brett - feel free to just copy and paste mine (it's that simple). Or, you can google "smiley face emoticons" (or something similar) and the endless sea of options will be at your fingertips. This little guy is far more expressive than "LOL" in my opinion.

Like this???
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.