Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hideki Matsui streak likely done

Just off the wire. Looks like Matsui's streak is history unless he runs back from the hospital and takes the field on a gurny.

Matsui injured; games played streak likely over

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Hideki Matsui's consecutive games streak is almost certainly over -- even though he touched the ball Thursday night.
    Hideki MatsuiLeft Field
    New York Yankees

Profile2006 SEASON STATISTICSGMHRRBIROBPAVG3251921.353.261
    Because of a quirky baseball rule, Matsui's streak of 518 games played probably ended when he hurt his left wrist trying for a diving catch in the first inning of the New York Yankees' game against the Boston Red Sox.
    Mark Loretta, Boston's second hitter, sent a blooper into left field, and Matsui landed hard on his wrist in an unsuccessful bid to make the catch. He walked off the field with a trainer and was replaced by Bernie Williams.
    Because Matsui did not play a full half-inning, his streak would end as soon as Thursday night's game becomes official.
    Baseball rule 10.24 states: "A consecutive game-playing streak shall be extended if the player plays one half-inning on defense or if he completes a time at-bat by reaching base or being put out."
    Matsui played 1,250 consecutive games with the Yomiuri Giants in Japan from 1994 to 2002 and in every game with the Yankees since joining the team in 2003.
    He holds the major-league record to start a career, surpassing Ernie Banks' run of 424 consecutive games played for the Chicago Cubs from 1953-56.
    Matsui's streak was the longest for the Yankees since Lou Gehrig played in 2,130 straight games from 1925-39, which was the major-league record until Cal Ripken of the Baltimore Orioles broke it in 1995.

Talking Re: Hideki Matsui streak likely done

This streak is no longer likely done, It is just plain done. Matsui is now chopped suie.

Banned

Re: Hideki Matsui streak likely done

Well I am praying to God that they let Bubba Crosby take over Hideki's position until his return so Bubba can show his worth!!!

Bubba's a Yankee.

Banned

What do you means bubbas a yankee? Hes been a Yankee for 2 years!!! AND DAMMIT HE DESERVES THAT SPOT!!! LOL LOL

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477
    What do you means bubbas a yankee? Hes been a Yankee for 2 years!!! AND DAMMIT HE DESERVES THAT SPOT!!! LOL LOL
    I know, I know. I couldn't help myself! The irony of a guy named Bubba playing for the Yankees didn't occur to me until just then. Isn't he kind of old to still be a prospect?

Banned

Skipcarey here is the thing that bogle true yankees fans minds that truley love the game to play with your heart.

Why did they bring in Damon, ok he produces hits but did we really need another hit producer NOOOOOOOO. Now how about his fielding decent but he doesnt have a great arm. Plus his shoulder is very questionable. which tells me he doesnt have that much longer if he takes a good slam up against the wall. GUESS WHAT he slammed up against the wall last night and now there questioning if his shoulder is injured. CAN I CALL IT OR CAN I CALL IT.

Crosby - Young player, plays from the heart. has many more years to grow. Great Fielder, decent hitter. He can be a better hitter if he had more field time. Proved his potential hitting worth last night.

Salary difference -
    DAMON 54 MILLION FOR 4 YEARS - IF HIS SHOULDER HOLDS UP
    CROSBY - $400,000 A YEAR - CAN GET THE SAME OUT OF HIM AS DAMON IF NOT MORE AFTER TIME

GIVE CROSBY A RAISE TO 1 MILLION A YEAR AND HELL BE HAPPY. OVER 4 YEARS THATS 4 MILLION

You do the math of how much we would save and get the same production if not better with Crosby.

This is a perfect example of why I would never ever take Brian Cashman's job. I would assume that all of these decisions come from Steinbrenner's circle of influence out of Tampa whomever those insiders are. From a baseball perspective many of the Yankees moves over the past five years just don't make sense. They overpay for talent that is past its prime can we say Kevin Brown, Randy Johnson, and or often injured, Jaret Wright, Carl Pavano, Kevin Brown again to name a few. That Brown move was just a disaster. For some reason the Yankees are obsessed with the BIG NAME player even though in certain cases something much less would do just fine. Instead of these ridiculous moves in pitching they have made the past few seasons, how about getting a Tim Hudson, Mark Mulder, Matt Morris etc, probably paying about the same as what they were to Brown or Johnson and having a much younger pitcher in the prime of their career. I take that back, the Brown contract was so ridiculous that they could have probably had Mulder and Hudson for Brown's contract. The Yankees should probably go out and trade for Barry Bonds right now, stick him in left until Matsui comes back and then permanently move him to DH.

On top of that I would sign Roger Clemmens out of retirement, see if they can find Kevin Brown and resign him for three more years at $20 mil per year and work out a trade for Jamie Moyer. That way they could have the geriatric pitching staff of MLB. Every time the Yankees play a home game they would have to send Steinbrenners personal Limo to the retirment home to pick up one of their pitchers for the game.

Whoa! Either you have a HUGE Bubba Crosby collection or I'm just not following your logic. Since when have the Yankees cared about saving money? I think you'd have a hard time convincing Steinbrenner that Crosby's a better fit than Matsui. I hate the Yankees, but Matsui's about as consistent as anyone could possibly ask for. And really, Jason, what's the benefit to you if the Yankees save a few million here or there? Cheaper tickets? Better beer?

And Damon...that IS the guy you want in center. He's more clutch than just about anyone on that team. God help you if A-Rod gets a meaningful hit in October.

By the way, what ever happened to Mike Kekich?

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477
    Skipcarey here is the thing that bogle true yankees fans minds that truley love the game to play with your heart.

Why did they bring in Damon, ok he produces hits but did we really need another hit producer NOOOOOOOO. Now how about his fielding decent but he doesnt have a great arm. Plus his shoulder is very questionable. which tells me he doesnt have that much longer if he takes a good slam up against the wall. GUESS WHAT he slammed up against the wall last night and now there questioning if his shoulder is injured. CAN I CALL IT OR CAN I CALL IT.

Crosby - Young player, plays from the heart. has many more years to grow. Great Fielder, decent hitter. He can be a better hitter if he had more field time. Proved his potential hitting worth last night.

Salary difference -
    DAMON 54 MILLION FOR 4 YEARS - IF HIS SHOULDER HOLDS UP
    CROSBY - $400,000 A YEAR - CAN GET THE SAME OUT OF HIM AS DAMON IF NOT MORE AFTER TIME

GIVE CROSBY A RAISE TO 1 MILLION A YEAR AND HELL BE HAPPY. OVER 4 YEARS THATS 4 MILLION

You do the math of how much we would save and get the same production if not better with Crosby.