Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Sosa named in PED samples from 2003

This was a list that by agreement was not supposed to be revealed. Then the
    Feds got it and now names are leaking out. I hate it that some of the players I liked (and still do) used the PED's. But I also have no respect for people who are leaking the names of people on a list that is not supposed to be available to the public. In some ways they are as bad or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by cjclong View Post
    But I also have no respect for people who are leaking the names of people on a list that is not supposed to be available to the public. In some ways they are as bad or worse.
    Right on, brother. Last time I checked, violation of a non-disclosure agreement was a violation of state and Federal laws. Where's the Congressional hearing?

Nobody is defending the actions of these players. But I'm having a hard time swallowing these smear campaigns whose sole purpose is too sell more books/newspapers/fill in the blank.

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com

Fans often say, "It wasn't against the rules, so there was nothing wrong with steroid use?"

And my response always is, "If there was nothing wrong with it and they were breaking no MLB rules, then why do all these players who used steroids deny ever using them? If these players felt there was nothing wrong or cheating with using steroids, wouldn't they freely admit their use? That they bend over backwards to deny, lie about it before congress and sue for libel would-- even when there are no MLB rule or legal reprocussions for telling the truth--, shows these players do believe there was something wrong about their steroids use."

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Fans often say, "It wasn't against the rules, so there was nothing wrong with steroid use?"
    A posible answer to those "fans", how about because they were breaking the law? Weren't these drugs prescription only and were obtained illegally? I would think the law of the land has more authority behind it than a non-rule of MLB. MLB shouldn't have had to have rules that covered things that were against the law anyway.

It is true that that MLB can't okay something that is illegal. MLB has no standing to make illegal drugs "legal within MLB rules," just as it has no standing to legalize prostitution or change immigration law. Thus, if steroids without a prescription was illegal in the US, it should go without saying that steroids without a prescription was illegal within MLB.

My previous post should demonstrate that the lack of text concerning steroid use in an MLB/Union agreement didn't make steroids "legal according to baseball rules." No matter what they text said or didn't say, MLB and the Union can't make steroids "legal according to baseball rules." The agreement also didn't mention torture and false imprisonment, but that didn't mean torture and imprisonment were "legal according to baseball rules." It is not a situation where anything and everything not mentioned in the agreement is "legal according to baseball rules." There are lots and lots of things illegal in Major League Baseball that weren't covered by the agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    This is because most fans are ill-informed about the rules. Steroids WERE against the rules and have been for a very long time.

In all fairness to this "argument", certain supplements like Andro were not against the rules. I also don't believe that HGH was either.
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

That is true. Andro was legal to use in the US. I'm not sure the history of HGH.

A lot of the stuff is prescription medication, meaning it's legal to use if you have a valid prescription and illegal to use if you don't.

Sosa gained an unfair advantage against his competitors and must now suffer the consequences.

Of course, this is all really sad. I remember that I was transfixed by the HR chase bewteen Sosa and McGwire in 1998.

Quote Originally Posted by tacprc View Post
    Sosa gained an unfair advantage against his competitors and must now suffer the consequences.

Of course, this is all really sad. I remember that I was transfixed by the HR chase bewteen Sosa and McGwire in 1998.
    Let me play devil's advocate. If you think that it is fair that this happens to him now, why not level the playing field and release the other 102 names?

Because I have a feeling that there are going to be a lot of names in that list that you would have never expected, nor players that have excelled the way Sosa did. A lot of Jason Grimsleys per se.

Somehow, this has become a witch hunt to release the names of the superstars... but what about the "decent" players who became "pretty good" as a result of PEDs. They get a pass? Hell, half of them were probably on the receiving end to Sosa's 60+ home runs each year...
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com