Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

(1)What Player is This and (2)is this label correct

In researching Oakland uniforms I came upon this slide and can't I.D. the player

Is this label correct for Mets 2000:

Re: (1)What Player is This and (2)is this label correct

As Rudy says its OK for a 97-99 label to be re-issued and seen in 2000 but I've never seen that bottom strip tag on a 2000. Rudy's primer example for 2000:

re: #2 - the mets jersey

the jersey in your photo is from 1995-98 in regards to the style. mets jerseys from 2000 are noticeably different. starting in 1999, they added the drop shadow to the team wordmark, letters, and numbers.

rudy.

Banned

The Mets jersey is minor league...same type of tagging as some of the Baltimore look-alike Bluefield Orioles gamers of the mid-late 1990s.
    Also, while I hate making your ID task on the Oakland player any more daunting, be aware that the 1968 vests were worn in spring training up to and including 1971. A 1972 Topps card of Bob Locker, who was dealt to the A's in mid-1970, is seen wearing one in a spring shot on his card that couldn't be any earlier than 1971. That ricekty-looking ol' outfield wall is definitely from a spring park.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Thanks Dave and yes its a minor league jersey(currently on ebay) said to have been given by the Mets to the Hyannis team. Now if that was the case,why place a new strip tag as this was notthe strip tags present when jersey was with the Mets.
    Rudy thanks for the reference to style I didn't "see" that. Thanks. Do the minors when they acquired MLB uniforms (back then/still do?)alterted the tags?

Quote Originally Posted by Swoboda4 View Post
    Thanks Dave and yes its a minor league jersey(currently on ebay) said to have been given by the Mets to the Hyannis team. Now if that was the case,why place a new strip tag as this was notthe strip tags present when jersey was with the Mets.
    Rudy thanks for the reference to style I didn't "see" that. Thanks. Do the minors when they acquired MLB uniforms (back then/still do?)alterted the tags?
    I do not buy the argument that just because a minor league team has the jersey that it must have been given to them by the major league team. I have seen many of these jerseys (I have sold a couple of dozen of them) and they are tagged very differently to the major league jerseys. Furthermore, minor league Mets jerseys would not have had NOBs -- meaning the placement of the numbers would have been in an entirely different position. Also, the fact that the Mets haven't used nameplates since the 1980's would imply that every letter and back number must have been removed first before being passed to the minors, and a new higher number then placed on the back after the stripping... which is completely absurd. Fact is that the Mets used to recycle their jerseys through the minors. I have not seen this practice in many years.
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Swoboda4 View Post
    assuming a scenario where this jersey was recycled from the ny mets, the style is from 1995-98. during those years, the mets jerseys weren't supplied by rawlings. they were supplied by AIS. this lends support to nick's idea that the mets minor league team(s) received their own shirts and not major league hand-me-downs.

in terms of minor league teams who did/do receive major league hand-me-downs, it doesn't seem to make much sense of them to alter the original tagging. they may add their own notations (usually via marker) but for them to undergo the laborious task of stripping off all of the major league tagging for no functional reason doesn't make much sense. from the hand-me-down jerseys i've seen, the original major league tagging was left intact.

lastly, it's my opinion that a 2000 mets gamer by rawlings (rawlings did supply the mets in 2000) would have a size tag and set tag, much like this one: http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...ction_ID=36758 or this one http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...ction_ID=33324

rudy.

Angel Mangual- 1971

Thanks RJB44.
    Thanks everyone again for the imput with the jersey. The e-bay seller,bigpavb,sells numerous Met items via the minors (I picked up a Viola home pinstripe set 1/1990 pants with no less than 4 different uniform numbers marked inside the waistband from this seller):
    Here's the jersey in question's listing:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2000-NEW-YORK-ME...3A1%7C294%3A50

The Viola pants with minor league manager Freiling name inside:

As previously pointed out in several posts I made last year including one in the "Rawlings Primer" thread, the Rawlings tag being discussed was first used in 1996, not 1997, as shown below on a well-worn Willie McGee Cardinals jersey in my collection.