Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

OT: Best hanger to hang up a jersey

What kind of hanger is best to hang up a jersey? Plastic or Wire hangers?
    I want the least amount of wear on the jersey as possible and the jersey to keep its shape while on display.

thanks in advance.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Re: OT: Best hanger to hang up a jersey

Museum advice for your better jerseys:

Use inert, acid-free products. To avoid a sharp crease at the shoulder, use a hanger of the proper width padded with polyester batting and covered with washed, undyed and unbleached muslin. These inert materials will shield your garment from getting yellow stains that might be caused by the off-gasing of plastics, woods and other non-archival materials. Cotton muslin is cheap and safe and can be used for garment covers as well.

Vertical storage (hanging):
    • Select a sturdy hanger that is the right size and shape to fit the garment. To avoid a sharp crease at the shoulder, pad the hanger by winding strips of polyester batting around it to shape and cushion the shoulder area. Secure with thread.
    • Cover the padded hanger with a cloth cover. Because wood and plastics (such as polyester) release acids that create yellow stains on the fabrics they touch, it is better to use an inert shield over them. Undyed, washed and unbleached
      cotton muslin is cheap, safe and can be used for hanger shields as well as garment covers.
    • Do not use plastic garment bags for storage for they create an atmosphere with little or no ventilation in which condensation can occur. These conditions can also encourage the growth of mold and insects.
    • Make sure the garment sets on the hanger without putting strain on the shoulders, collar, or sleeves.

any opinion on these two hanger? the second one looks like it may deform a jersey over time.

maybe a better question is not what to use.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Personally, I wouldn't use either of them ... but the bottom one is horrible. (And their ad couldn't even spell jersey correctly.) The first ones likely would give off gases that might discolor over time as they look plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by cordovacollector View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't use either of them ... but the bottom one is horrible. (And their ad couldn't even spell jersey correctly.) The first ones likely would give off gases that might discolor over time as they look plastic.
    helen,

so what do you recommend? and where can i buy it online? link would be great.

thanks

joel
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    any opinion on these two hanger? the second one looks like it may deform a jersey over time.

maybe a better question is not what to use.
    For what it's worth, I bought some of the first jersey hangers for the exhibit display I'm putting together and they are much better then the Ultra Mounts. They help display the jersey much better.

cordovacollector, I'd be interested in hearing some alternatives as well since I'm not up on the chemistry of jersey hangers. How long over time would it take the "gases" from the plastic jersey hanger to discolor a jersey??

I buy nice, old wooden ones on estate or yard sales, or even at local auctions. I have even gotten a few discarded ones from high-end men's stores -- I ask if they have any damaged ones for sale. Sometimes they'll just give them to you. Then I cover them the way it is described in the above post with quilt batting and muslin.

The damage from the wood or plastic comes from direct contact so if you pad and cover them, your good to go. I learned this from a museum conservator.

Quote Originally Posted by cordovacollector View Post
    I buy nice, old wooden ones on estate or yard sales, or even at local auctions. I have even gotten a few discarded ones from high-end men's stores -- I ask if they have any damaged ones for sale. Sometimes they'll just give them to you. Then I cover them the way it is described in the above post with quilt batting and muslin.

The damage from the wood or plastic comes from direct contact so if you pad and cover them, your good to go. I learned this from a museum conservator.
    Thanks for passing the info along! When you have time can you please post a picture of a hanger that you've coverted into one that's jersey safe with the materials mentioned above. I'd like to get an example so I can do that to mine in the future.

Will do!

Here's a great description with illustrations on how to make these:

http://www.nps.gov/history/museum/pu...gram/04-05.pdf