Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1997 McGwire Cards Road - ebay

Listed on ebay is a 1997 Cards Road McGwire jersey. They recently updated the listing with a photo of the tag, listed below. All other 1997 Rawlings I have seen have a flag tag on them, not this strip.

ebay ID# is 140328130215

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Matt
    email is matmuell at umich.edu

Banned

Re: 1997 McGwire Cards Road - ebay

Matt-

I've seen plenty of Cardinal gamers from 1997, and never tagging similar to the jersey on ebay.

Here's a shot of a 1997 that has the traditional tagging that I've seen on all Cardinal gamers from that season:

Name:  CARDINALS 1997 tagging.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  39.9 KB

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@comcast.net

Howard:

Thanks for the feedback. Side question, is that jersy a spring training jersey (from the patch?).

Matt

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mattmueller View Post
    Howard:

Thanks for the feedback. Side question, is that jersy a spring training jersey (from the patch?).

Matt
    Matt-
    According to the AMI description, yes. It was worn for the regular season 1997, then spring 1998.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@comcast.net

I've never seen a '97 Cardinals jersey tagged like the McGwire. There were a few Cardinals jerseys in '92 that had strip tagging (first year they switched from pullovers to button-down shirts), but every '97 I've seen had the common flag tags like the shot Howard posted.

I've been told that many, if not most '97 Cardinals jerseys were recycled for spring training 1998. They removed the Jackie Robinson patches and replaced them with spring training patches. I don't think I've ever seen a jersey with the 1998 Roger Dean patch that wasn't tagged 1997. In 1998, the Cardinals updated their birds-on-bat logo and I'm pretty sure that logo didn't debut until opening day.

Banned

Matt-

I'm in complete agreement with Jeff, and after re-reading the Ebay description, noticed it has a LOA from Grey Flannel clearly stating it is 100% original and was game worn by MAC in 1997. The LOA is signed by Rich Russek:

Attachment 26398

Have you tried to contact Rich to learn what type of research or information allowed him to determine this is a MAC 1997 gamer?

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@comcast.net

Banned

Here's the LOA:

Name:  GREY FLANNEL MAC LETTER.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  43.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf View Post
    Matt-

I'm in complete agreement with Jeff, and after re-reading the Ebay description, noticed it has a LOA from Grey Flannel clearly stating it is 100% original and was game worn by MAC in 1997. The LOA is signed by Rich Russek:

Attachment 26398

Have you tried to contact Rich to learn what type of research or information allowed him to determine this is a MAC 1997 gamer?

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@comcast.net

Banned

I must agree with Jeff: a strip tag on a 1997 Cardinals gamer doesn't sound proper.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

What's this? A questionable McGwire jersey on eBay, with LOA from Grey Flannel?

I'm shocked, SHOCKED!

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com

Howard - I have not attempted to contact Grey Flannel to question their LOA on the item. As I may want to participate in one of their auctions in the future, I likely will not do so. That point aside, in my opinion, since the seller of the jersey is a) acting as an agent in the sale of the jersey and b) relying upon the LOA from Grey Flannel as the primary evidence of authenticity, its on the seller to alleviate concerns a buyer has on the unusual nature of the tagging.

Rick - Thank you for adding to the educational nature of the forum....

Matt