Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Opinion on qualites you want from authentication company

I'm working on a marketing plan for a fictional authentication company for my Masters. Wanted to get everyone's opinion on what you want in an ideal company. For example when declaring an item game used there must be a photomatch. Thanks alot

Re: Opinion on qualites you want from authentication company

Honesty, sincerity, knowledge and expertise.

The short answer: Copy MeiGray's Business plan.

The long answer:

1) Be transparent with your motives. Don't hide behind a letter of "opinion" Say "This is game worn and I know because of x, y, z.
    2) Look at photomatches as if you lose money if you match them. This will make you question every match and search for several examples before calling it photomatched.
    3) Spend time getting to know others in your field. Everyone from novice to master authenticator. Learn from others mistakes and borrow their successes.
    4) If Steiner's doing it, don't. Make sure you have every authentication backed up for both yourself and your customers. If your item comes with a hologram number, make sure you can look up the number, know what it is and that others can search for it as well. Otherwise, it's just a sticker and holds no value.
    5) If you mess up, own it. Screwed a customer by accident? Ask how to make it up to them (within reason) That doesn't mean giving away free stuff, it means asking how to satisfy them. Partial refund, discount coupon etc.

Here's a good start. I'm sure others will chime in
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by justinwc80 View Post
    For example when declaring an item game used there must be a photomatch.
    That would be nice, but WAY too black/white for reality. If you collect anything GU older than a couple of years, the ability to photomatch drops off considerably, even for star players. Look up any of the 80's stars in Getty, you'll probably get less photo examples than players that were rookies just last year.

For me, a match to a solid exemplar is about the best you could get. I'd actually like to see a database of GU bats given with your LOA from an authentication company. So, say I submit a Dave Winfield bat, I'd like to get their evaluation back along with photos of other Winfield bats that "match" use characteristics. Make sense?

And I second "honesty, sincerity, knowledge and expertise" and add maybe a partnership with the various Hall of Fame museum services departments to share in knowledge building.

No conflict of interest e.g. the authentication company does not sell, auction, or otherwise make a market in the items they authenticate.

Good luck with that one.

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com

Banned

I only have one. ACCURACY.

an online hologram number look up that actually works - unlike Steiner sports

Banned

Add to these public email, phone, and snail mail contacts to communicate with the authenticator(s) and be able to discuss issues, good or bad, regarding your submissions. (We know who THAT knocks out of the running!)

Dave M.
    Chicago area

For everyone that replied I greatly appreciate your help. After writing my marketing proposal with my fictional company Legendary Sport Memories, I wish it existed. It has everything you guys asked for as well as experts like Dave Grob working for it. I can't thank everyone enough and hope you don't mind me quoting you in my paper. You guys are always great for opinions and I can't thank you enough!

Quote Originally Posted by rj_lucas View Post
    No conflict of interest e.g. the authentication company does not sell, auction, or otherwise make a market in the items they authenticate.

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com
    YES, and there needs to be regulations preventing it!