Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: "Where did you get this bat!!??"

Quote Originally Posted by emann View Post
    So, I'm very new to getting my GU items signed by the players. I've always wanted to do this as it gives some sort of instant authentication and is more interesting to own to me than a signed photo or ball. (... and most of what I collect is from the 80's generation of players anyway, well before MLB holos... LOL)

I've brought two bats to signings this month and gotten the same reaction from the players; "this was my bat... but how did you get it?"

Neither of them have been "angry" about it, George Foster was one of the two and was actually very nice, saying "it was a good bat, but it's got a crack, see?" (then pointing out the crack to me). He talked with me a little more, looked it over fondly and even wrote "game used" on it for me.

But it still left me feeling a bit odd. I'm just wondering how other collectors feel when you get something signed (or show to a player). I'd prefer not to get a "this was stolen from my locker, you theif!!!!"* at some point from one of my favorite players, but feel it might be unavoidable given the fact none of us really know where some of the GU items come from...

Thoughts?

* I read the thread about Kirk Gibson going ballistic over his batting helmet.

George Foster had a very similar reaction for me when signing a gamer... I remember that he kept saying to anyone in earshot "this is my bat... he's got my bat!" It was all very playful on his part though.

Quote Originally Posted by W_EISENHUTH View Post
    I've had nothing but good luck getting game used items signed but I've heard the horror stories. Since when do the payers buy their own bats/jerseys, hats, gloves, etc. and why should they give a hoot if a fan collects discarded items or those sold by their own ball club at fan conventions/team garage sales? Perhaps you should have asked Nettles how much he paid for the bat!
    EXACTLY!!! Talking to Clint Barmes during his Rookie Year with the Rockies, Clint has told me if I ever wanted a GU jersey, he would get me one but I would have to pay whatever the team charged him for it which at the time was about $200 per jersey. He was very cool about it and if my financial situation was so bad at the time, I would have one now!

Players forget that the TEAM supplies pretty much EVERYTHING they use...

Now, for a few good stories for me on getting GU items signed...

Matt Holliday and his 2000 ST Jersey (his 1st MLB Spring Training and his 1st 'Big League' Jersey)... I bought the jersey with Rockies LOA in 2002... when Matt came up in 2004 I took the jersey to to Coors Field and as Matt ran out he kept looking back at it and finally told me to stick around while he worked out. When he came over, he asked, "Where the hell did you get that?" I told him and he said he didn't ever think he'd see the jersey again (he was #84 at ST 2000 - pretty far down the pecking order). He thought it was cool and graciously signed it and has been awesome for me ever since.

I picked up one of Seth Smith's GU 2007 WS hats from the Rockies before 2008 ST and took it to Tucson with me. When I presented it to Seth to sign along with the Rockies LOA, he signed it and inscribed it Gam eUsed and then asked how I had obtained it. When I told him it was purchased directly from the Rockeis through their Dug Out Stores he laughed and said he always wondered what happened to thats tuff at the end of the season - he said last game of the season, you undress and head to the showers - you come back and all of your uniform stuff is gone. He thought they just cleaned it and sent it to the minors!

All the best -

Chris

Chris, I read your Seth Smith story and thought he said when he came back from the shower and saw his clothes gone, he thought HE was sent to the minors.

I have an old Willie Randolph bat the one with the funny handle. I got it signed by him at the Yankee Fan Festival many years ago. I was a young kid. He is one of my favorite players and he handled the situation like a the great guy that he his. He asked me how did I get the bat, and he even took it and did a few practice swings n told me he loved that style bat or something like that and said wow i havent seen one like that in years. He took his time with me to talk for a little. Hes a really classy guy and a great experience for me.

Great stories so far. I've really only had one bad experience, and everything else has been either funny or really nice. We'll start with the bad.

If anybody has dealt with Joey Votto, then you know he can be a bit...ummm...prickly. The first game bat I got of his (when he was still in AAA), I took to Louisville in hopes of getting it signed. When I asked if he had time to please sign my bat, he motioned me over and took the bat. He looked me up and down, looked at the bat from every conceivable angle, and then said "Where did you get this?" I was floored, but politely showed him the crack in the handle and explained that I got it on Ebay from a seller based out of NC. He asked me how much I paid for it, signed it grudgingly, handed it back to me, and stormed off. I felt so badly about the whole thing that I stuck around after the game and offered to give it back to him, as well as get the seller's contact info to him. At that point his tune changed a little and he said "No that's o.k. You can keep it, but thanks for offering."

I have had several hilarious jaw on the floor moments with Jeff Keppinger, but those are in a whole other category. The three best experiences other than the ones with Kepp were with Michael Tucker (my 1st game jersey), Mike Cameron, and Dusty Baker. Tucker was amazed that I had one of his Reds gamers, and actually yelled at the ballpark security guys to leave me alone because I was with him, when they tried to make me go to my seat. He talked to me a bit about it, asked how I came across it, signed it beautifully, and thanked me for being a fan.

Mike Cameron was thrilled to see an old Reds LVS that I came across, and actually asked if I minded if he looked at it. He looked it over, talked with me about it and how long it had been since he'd seen one, then took a few practice cuts with it before signing it, complete with a '44' instead of the '25' he wears now.

I presented Dusty with one of his bats and his face lit up. He asked me where I'd gotten it, and after levelling it a few times, confirmed it was his and gave me a total rundown of the history of that particular model (it happened to be Ron Cey's personal cut). He signed it, and you could tell he was genuinely touched and pleased to see something like that.

-Josh

It's always great when one of the older players seems to really get a kick out of seeing one of their old gamers. In my experience, the older Cooper bats seem to evoke a lot of nostalgia. I remember Steve Finley standing up from the signing table to take some cuts with one of his old Coopers, probably from his early days in Baltimore, and waxing nostalgic about how great they were. Damon Berryhill was managing in the Arizona Fall League a couple of years ago, and he took the old Cooper I had asked him to sign and showed it to some of his coaches and players, talking about what a great bat it was.

Tom, I am still holding out hope that you will release some of the great (obscure) bats in your collection so that I can complete mine. Heise told me that he is keeping his bats (understandably) for his grandkids! Of course I joke, but I still need about 18 sox to complete my run.

I am trying to get a bat from each guy who played for the sox from 1960 to the present, non pitcher. I have never really tried to get them autographed because I could never get them done. However, when the 67 and 75 dick Gordon reunion shows were held in the last several years, I bundled the bats together in a large military duffel and hauled the bats to the show. The 67 sox were amazed. As I started to pull some of the obscure bats out the autograph line stopped. Petrocelli and tartabull took their bats and swung them, confirming they were genuine. Lynn looked at two bats I had from his rookie season, confirmed they were his and said that he always wondered what happened to these bats. My wife deadpanned that they end up in our house. Cargo announced that his bat was corked to everyone on line. George Scott walked over and asked if I had one of his bats. The most appreciative guys were the older obscure guys who were genuinely happy to see their old lumber. Luckily no one asked if they could have their bat, that would have been tough. (mark Macon did that to me on a gu jersey once)

I have always f

I`ve shown several Bats to Tony Gwynn Sr. The one BP Bat he signed he asked where I got it & how much I paid. The first thing he did was look at the Knob/Brl writing. I`ve also shown him a Bat (of his) that was not used by Him. He signed it & asked sternly that I not sell it as his. I still have it. He`s been nice to me. I`ve bought a few more since this Pic.
    Sean
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by 10thMan View Post
    I`ve shown several Bats to Tony Gwynn Sr. The one BP Bat he signed he asked where I got it & how much I paid. The first thing he did was look at the Knob/Brl writing. I`ve also shown him a Bat (of his) that was not used by Him. He signed it & asked sternly that I not sell it as his. I still have it. He`s been nice to me. I`ve bought a few more since this Pic.
    Sean

May I ask... which one in the picture did he not use????

I like digging up some of these old posts, 4 years later...

I had an encounter with Steve Sax in either 92 or 93. I had purchased one of his bats through an auction (before ebay when you bid via fax and telephone). After a game, I was in the players parking lot and approached him with the bat to sign. He started grilling me about where and how I got the bat. After appeasing him, he seemed quite interested in the idea of his stuff being in an auction, although he gave me a weird look when I told him I paid $65!