Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Worst Price You've Paid for Game-Used Item?

Quote Originally Posted by bigshot5021 View Post
    Hey, I'm relatively new here so I don't know if this has been covered before but I thought it'd be interesting anyway. What's the worst price you've ever paid for a jersey/bat/etc. that was game-used? Or in other words, what's the one situation where you were seemingly ripped off in buying one of these items?

I ask because I suddenly realize one situation I was in where I basically blatantly overpaid, that being about $250 for a Ruben Quevedo autographed 2002 game-used Brewers jersey. If you never even heard of Quevedo, that's understandable, as he was 14-30 over his career with an ERA that I'm sure baloons over 5.00. If I could make a defense of this ridiculous purchase, though, it would be that A)For some odd reason, he's one of my favorite pitchers, B)There was actually another bidder who stuck with me around the $200 mark, C)It's autographed and really nice with the Miller Park all-star patch, and D)It has MLB authentication AND came with Mears authentication that scored it an A10. Come to think of it, it's the only game-used of Quevedo I've ever seen.

Okay, after all that, maybe it wasn't so bad at that price, although I feel like I still could've got it for at least a hundred dollars less.

So anyone else have any similar stories of paying a lot more than they really had to?
    HELLO I HAVE A RUBEN QUEVEDO JERSEY, HE IS STILL PLAYING HERE IN VENEZUELA.-
    Attached Images Attached Images      

MY WORST PRICE IS THIS JORGE JULIO BAT I PAID 217$
    Attached Images Attached Images  

1998-1999 Ray Lankford LS C243....

$166

They can be had for $45 if you look for them. I was certain it was a match to the bat he used in the game Mac hit #62....and I got into a bidding war (probably with the seller ). I sold it for about $60.

Non Game used - McGwire signed baseball $500 (Steiner). Sold for $160.
    Sadly, over the years of all 6 that I bought, $160 was the highest. One actually sold for under $100.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by murfsteve25 View Post
    I forget the exact price, but the range was 65-75 bucks. Bought a pair of GAME USED Sheffield Yankee socks from ESM. Even autographed. Seriously...who buys used socks? Worst purchased ive ever made. Thats gotta be up there with the Arod jock that was for sale not long ago.
    Don't forget Kyle Hess' shower shoes.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    Don't forget Kyle Hess' shower shoes.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Don't worry those only cost me $12

I bought Gary Sheffield's socks for $38 from ESM as well as a pair of Luis Castillo socks from ASI for $1

Without a doubt, mine would be a 2003 road Roger Clemens Yankees jersey (w/100 year patch). It's well worn and was purchased directly from the Steiner auction that concluded just months before the Mitchell Report was released. I just checked the invoice and after a few deep breaths to control my heart palpitations, the final invoice price was $6,050.80. The date of purchase is listed as 4/5/07.

When I bought this, it was going to be my holy grail. The next month, the Mitchell Report was released and the rest is history. I still have it displayed and it's an awesome jersey. Too bad Clemens has done so much to screw up his legacy. By far, that was my worst purchase- financially speaking...

OH I FORGOT!!! my absolute WORST purchase ever was my 2008 SEASON used shea stadium knapkin holder. $85 down the drain.

The title could suggest different answers. We all over-pay for items if we want it bad enough. It is up to us to do it, no gun to our head.

Couple come to mind. I was involved in a year-long spending spree of a player-collection sale. Truely mind-boggling and overwhelming to say the least, especially when your favorite player. Because it was overwhelming; one could not have it all. Some pieces got away early in sale to those that bought not so much for a love for Kong, but a love for the particular team displayed. Item was a '77 Yankees Jacket, vintage and game worn. When it came around the 2nd time I paid $900 over original price I could have had it at! Was I pleased with this? Not on your life, especially having just gotten out of surgery and it being the holidays. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat as it is a spectacular piece. Love it.

Second was a purchase just made. '89 McGwire Home Oakland jersey in LeLands auction. I would have been fine save a bid-up by another member here. I've always loved McGwire, but after hammer and shipping, $2300 for a non-HOF gamer, WS Year or not, is alot of dollars to swallow in this economy to be sure. Don't even have it yet; but was not pleased with price paid.

Others include biddng wars on ebay. Kingman oddball model game used bats from early 70's. $600 range plus. Bat replaceable? Nope, doubt another exists. That said, could I resell and recoup $$? No way would any other collector, including a Kong guy, pay what I paid for these bats. If my wife knew the final numbers on my collection, she'd divorce my sorry *ss but would likely have a heart attack first!

We do it because we love it, not because it is an intelligent financial move...
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

When I was first starting in the hobby years ago I purchased a jersey that I later found to be not authentic. I have overpaid for legit gamers but at least they were actually game worn.

2005 game issued Pro Bowl jersey, Richard Seymour. Paid $400. That was before they were selling so many supposedly "Game Issued" jerseys. It's on ebay starting at $99.

Live and learn.