Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned

Re: Ever sold to someone famous?

I once sold on ebay a Mets Pedro Feliciano Game Used Jersey to his cousin. He bought it and was very happy about it, then sent me an email afterwards telling me who he was and that he was thankful about it.
    His cousin lives in Queens.

Banned

I was once made an offer for one of my most favorite items in my baseball memorabilia collection from Stan Bahnsen.
    I think he made me an offer of 3k but I turned him down.
    The items value was over that and my hard work I put into it was worth more.

But I did appreciate the offer and knew it was a definite desirable item.

A yankees autographed bat.

Quote Originally Posted by ryant7 View Post
    Believe it or not one of my fathers really close friends deals in classic cars and Reggie Jackson is an avid car collector he has sold Reggie a few cars and attended car shows with him i have a couple signed balls with hof inscriptions and Mr. October. My dad has a Game Issued bat that was signed and personlized to him from Reggie. Reggie is a stand up guy.

Reggie is a stand-up guy, huh?

Reggie may be a stand-up guy if he wants something from you. But have you ever gone to a signing and asked Mr. "Stand-up" guy to sign a baseball for you?

He's an ass. Won't talk to you much if at all. Makes darn sure the money is handled (tickets presented for the signature, verified by his assistant sitting next to him, etc.), won't shake your hand, and pretty much treats you like your wasting his time.

He's a borderline Jim Brown in the making.

When I was 17 years old, I went to work in the summer for my dad. He owned a store selling power tools and machinery to contractors and small manufacturers.

One day, I was in the back of the shop talking to guy who sharpened the blades by the customers who brought them in. A guy walks up to the counter and say in a strong loud voice "I need this chain saw blade sharpened. Can I pick it up by Friday? I'm going to need it this weekend."

The employee says "Sure, I can do that." He grabs a claim ticket and says "What's the name?"

"Fonda. Henry Fonda"

I looked up, and about swallowed my tongue when the employee from Puerto Rico asked "Spell the last name for me?"

I jumped in and expressed my apologies to Mr. Fonda, explaining that he didn't know who he was because he wasn't from our country. I immediately told the employee that Mr. Fonda was one of the biggest movie stars in history. Mr Fonda didn't say a word, he just looked at me and the guy writing up the claim ticket......it was an unforgettable moment. I remember noticing that Henry Fonda had hearing aids in each of his ears....looked really old, but healthy....active. He was also wearing glasses. That was 1977.

He came back on Friday to pick up his blade, but he also bought something from my dad's store. I don't remember what it was, but I do remember my dad asking me...."Would you mind carrying this out to Mr. Fonda's car for him son?" It was so funny.....I walked with Henry out through the back of the store, all the while thinking "I wonder what kind of car he must drive.....a Rolls Royce?....a large Mercedes?

As we approached the lot, I followed him and he walked up to his car and open the back so I could place the package in his car.

It was a bright orange volkswagon hatchback sedan. I had never seen one before, and have never seen one since. As he closed the hatchback, he flipped me a silver dollar. Feeling embarrassed and not knowing how to handle the situation, I said "Oh...Mr. Fonda, you don't need to...."

He basically cut me off by looking at me, and with a stern stare he was kind of saying "Hey kid.....shut up and take it, and thank you."

A couple of days I'll never forget. Not sports related, but I thought you guys might enjoy that story.

During that same summer, I also delivered a table saw to Harrison Ford's house. THAT is a whole other story in itself! And finally, I single handedly sold a shop vacuum to none other than "Spock" himself, Leonard Nemoy.

It was quite a summer. My dad's store was in Hollywood as you might have gathered. I miss those days.

Suicide, I agree. Reggie is a total ass! I've seen Reggie many times and almost every time he alway has this pissy attitude like he is better than everyone. I have never been able to stand the guy.

In fact, at a National Convention probably seven or eight years ago he was being his usual self and was acting very rude to a very young boy that was trying to talk to him while I was walking by. I stopped and told Reggie what a prick he was to act like that. He got pissed and we had some words and I basically told him to F off and that if he wanted to go outside and "discuss" it I would be happy to oblige. He turned around and walked off and went back to talking to the other King of A-holes Alan "Mr. Mint" Rosen.

I play in a baseball league with Marty Barrett's younger brother, Joe Barrett in the Louisville, KY area. He played college baseball at Clemson and UNLV. In fact the whole Barrett family is pretty talented as they have another brother who played college and minor league ball.

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    Reggie is a stand-up guy, huh?

Reggie may be a stand-up guy if he wants something from you. But have you ever gone to a signing and asked Mr. "Stand-up" guy to sign a baseball for you?

He's an ass. Won't talk to you much if at all. Makes darn sure the money is handled (tickets presented for the signature, verified by his assistant sitting next to him, etc.), won't shake your hand, and pretty much treats you like your wasting his time.

He's a borderline Jim Brown in the making.

Haven't sold - but have purchased directly from Harmon Killebrew
    Email: Tay1038@aol.com
    - Interested in Current & Vintage Minnesota Twins game-used memorabilia - Killebrew, Oliva, Carew, Puckett, Hrbek, Blyleven, Mauer, Morneau, Tom Kelly (Manager), Minneapolis Millers & St. Paul Saints

I don't know if there is any merit to this story, but I heard years ago that Rickey Henderson found out that someone had his original 1979 A's Rookie Jersey and that he made an offer to buy it and the person refused. Apparently Henderson offered some good money for it, but the person was steadfast and didn't want to sell. Henderson got real bothered by this and wanted to know where the guy got the jersey from, claiming that the jersey may have been stolen from the A's sometime before the 1980 season? I don't know where the source of this story originated from, and I have never seen nor am I aware of a 1979 Henderson rookie jersey in a collection. Maybe others have more insight on this.

Not memorabilia, but I sold Jordan Sigalet, Bruins Goalie, some of his rare rookie cards when I stopped collecting. Was a great guy and kept in contact with me for awhile.

Banned

I sold John Rauch one of his White Sox game used jersey.
    I had to look over his delivery address a couple of times.
    Because I thought the delivery name was an error.

in the category of "same but different"

Bobby Hull gave my buddy and i a handful of cash to buy every lithograph a dealer was selling (of course it was of Hull).

he was very nonchalant about it and talked to us for quite a bit before and afterward.