Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ever sold to someone famous?

I haven't yet (that I know of), but I just sold a jersey to the brother of the guy who used it, which got me thinking about this.

My only brush with super stardom was with someone who thought he was famous. People in the Atlanta area probably know a guy named Jerome Jurenovich. He does pre and post game Braves commentary for Fox down here. A few years ago he emailed me about a helmet I was selling. His email went something like "Do you happen to have any old flapless ABC helmets? My name is Jerome Jurenovich and I am a sports anchor. You probably remember me from CNN." I didn't have any helmets for him, but I'm sure he was more disappointed about me not knowing who the heck he was.

Re: Ever sold to someone famous?

A couple of years ago I sold a game used Wade Boggs bat on ebay to Jesse Barsfield.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

OK, the starter of the thread said "famous" not just "sports related" ....

Sorta along this line ... the fellow who I used to sit next to in my section for a few years sold his two extra front row seats for the 1991 WS to Ted Turner and Hanoi Jane.

I sold 1/3 of my feed analysis laboratory corporation to Vern den Herder - No Name Defense, Dolphins.

I gave a 1936 or '37 high school baseball record book I had found to Harmon Killebrew. His older brother was in the lineups. It meant quite a lot to him.

I sold a Briggs & Stratton motorwheel and buckboard (1919) to John Shiely, President of Briggs & Stratton, in the 1990s. He had it restored in OR, had it brought back to my housein MN so I could see it, then put it on permanent display at the head office in Wauwatosa, WI, with a brass plaque saying it was formerly owned by me. When he started calling me to buy it, I hung up on him twice because I thought my friends were playing a trick on me. For you youngin's on the board here's what a Buckboard Flyer looks like:

Banned

I've personally sold jerseys of former MLB pitchers John Verhoeven and Bob Scanlan to the pitchers themselves. I also know my buddies at MEARS sold a Byron Wilkerson Cubs gamer (ST use only) to Byron Wilkerson.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Banned

I sold a Ryan Leaf retail jersey on ebay to Walter Flannigan from the Clerks Mallrats, Kevin Smith movies.

My wife sold a vintage hand made Corset to Courtney Love on Ebay.

I have given over 150 of my 8x10s to players and their wives when they have asked for them. I knew of one player that had 20 of my 8x10s framed and hanging in their entry of their house.

One former Twin was at a signing with his son and I had a game used bat for him to sign. When he saw it he smiled and said, "Oh, that was my favorite bat for a long time!" So I gave it to him ... and he gave it to his son. Later during the night game he handed up two bats to me.

I used to collect 1968-1971 Topper/Johhny Lightning die-cast toy cars and I ended up with 2 complete sets of mint cars. When I sold one of the sets on ebay the buyer turned out to be Tom Lowe, the owner of the company who resurrected the Johnny Lightning line in the late 1990's.

Years back, I bought an Igor Korolev Blackhawks game jersey from the team that I ended up selling back to him.

Banned

I bought Marty Barretts rookie Sox jersey, sold it to my brother, who gave it to Marty. Marty couldn't believe someone had his rookie jersey. My brother was his insurance agent.

In 2002 I sold a Shane Conlan jersey to his wife. I was selling a 1989 Starting lineup of him and there was a game-worn jersey in the picture. SHe contacted me about the jersey and said he did not keep one so I sold it to her.