Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How much value does an auto add?

I have a game issued bat and it is auto'd. Well, for some reason part of the auto is beginning to rub off? I was just curious how much value does an auto add (if any)? I mean, I actually would prefer the bat without it, so I may just rub the rest of it off. Hell, the auto is probably worthless now that some of it is gone.

Your thoughts?

BB

Re: How much value does an auto add?

In my opinion, an auto doesn't hurt the value, but reduces the number of people who my buy it. There are alot of collectors who do not want an auto'd item.

Quote Originally Posted by NEFAN View Post
    In my opinion, an auto doesn't hurt the value, but reduces the number of people who my buy it. There are alot of collectors who do not want an auto'd item.

.....Which I always find comical.

This is a loaded question, but I'll give you my two cents.

If the bat is signed by the player, and the player is deceased, it's worth more, PERIOD.

If the player is a famous player, the item is worth more signed.

If the signature is approaching the "undesirable" point because the signature is partially rubbed off, scratched off, etc., then it's your personal choice to complete the removal.....but remember that a "game days" signature is always more desirable than a later in life signature. Again, there are rules to that exception too.....if the athlete is a superstar, a signature from ANY point of his life is highly desirable.

Isn't that why they have sports signings?

If the signature is undesirable, and the player is still alive and actively doing signings, it makes the choice rather easy for you. The only question then becomes would it be worth it to you to pay the athlete for a new clean signature on the bat.

Lastly, it's basically personal preference. If you want your item signed, then that's all that matters. I think everyone would agree that a game used item signed in a desirable location, and a good quality signature, by the athlete in question, makes the item worth more. It's kind of the ultimate "christening" by the player of his/her item.

There is apparently an exception to that rule by the "purists" in the game used collecting hobby, and that is the hockey jersey collectors. One of my best friends collects game used hockey jerseys, and for whatever reason, the deep-down hard-core collectors in that arena prefer unsigned jerseys. Some even claim "If it's signed, it's ruined". I can't understand that logic, and never will, but to each his own.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. But I am just curious.....what player is this bat of?

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    .....Which I always find comical.

This is a loaded question, but I'll give you my two cents.

If the bat is signed by the player, and the player is deceased, it's worth more, PERIOD.

If the player is a famous player, the item is worth more signed.

If the signature is approaching the "undesirable" point because the signature is partially rubbed off, scratched off, etc., then it's your personal choice to complete the removal.....but remember that a "game days" signature is always more desirable than a later in life signature. Again, there are rules to that exception too.....if the athlete is a superstar, a signature from ANY point of his life is highly desirable.

Isn't that why they have sports signings?

If the signature is undesirable, and the player is still alive and actively doing signings, it makes the choice rather easy for you. The only question then becomes would it be worth it to you to pay the athlete for a new clean signature on the bat.

Lastly, it's basically personal preference. If you want your item signed, then that's all that matters. I think everyone would agree that a game used item signed in a desirable location, and a good quality signature, by the athlete in question, makes the item worth more. It's kind of the ultimate "christening" by the player of his/her item.

There is apparently an exception to that rule by the "purists" in the game used collecting hobby, and that is the hockey jersey collectors. One of my best friends collects game used hockey jerseys, and for whatever reason, the deep-down hard-core collectors in that arena prefer unsigned jerseys. Some even claim "If it's signed, it's ruined". I can't understand that logic, and never will, but to each his own.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. But I am just curious.....what player is this bat of?

Very well said! I agree with you 100%
    Email: Tay1038@aol.com
    - Interested in Current & Vintage Minnesota Twins game-used memorabilia - Killebrew, Oliva, Carew, Puckett, Hrbek, Blyleven, Mauer, Morneau, Tom Kelly (Manager), Minneapolis Millers & St. Paul Saints

Thanks for you input! My desire was to just remove it as part of the auto is coming off and to me it is an eyesore now. I just didn't want to make a dumb mistake, but I guess the recurring lesson here is: What do I prefer? Because regardless if the item loses value, if it doesn't bring me enjoyment, then why keep it?

The bat is an Ichiro Suzuki bat, and it was a clean full auto, but somehow it started to rub or flake off. Thanks to your input and my realizations I have just rubbed it out and the bat looks great! I actually like it better without it.

Quote Originally Posted by brianborsch View Post
    Thanks for you input! My desire was to just remove it as part of the auto is coming off and to me it is an eyesore now. I just didn't want to make a dumb mistake, but I guess the recurring lesson here is: What do I prefer? Because regardless if the item loses value, if it doesn't bring me enjoyment, then why keep it?

The bat is an Ichiro Suzuki bat, and it was a clean full auto, but somehow it started to rub or flake off. Thanks to your input and my realizations I have just rubbed it out and the bat looks great! I actually like it better without it.
    sorry to hear it rubbed off. just wondering how you stored the bat and to see if you think it was preventable or not. i just dont think something can rub off on its own. thanks

glad the results worked out for you tho.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

On a game issued bat, an auto would add value, imho.

On a game used bat, I could take or leave the auto.

i stored it in a long sock and in a bat box. it started when my hand brushed an edge of the sig an some of it just came right off. then more came off when i pulled it out of the box once as well. so i may have decreased the value but i dont plan on selling this. Especially now since i prob. wouldn't be able to get my money back.

WHAT!? You rubbed off an Ichiro Suzuki autograph off his game used bat?! What!?

You should have kept it there to preserve that autograph! Goodness!

But that's just my two cents because Ichiro is my favorite MLB player.

Good luck though, man.... you were this close to keeping the value of that baseball bat.

Oh well, to each his own.

Do you, by any chance, have an Ichiro Suzuki autographed baseball?

Do you have a picture of this bat? I would love to see.
    Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
    flotaboys@hotmail.com