Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Unique Cal Ripken Item/Story

A couple years ago I picked up quite a number of items from a guy who had clubhouse access in Memorial Stadium back in the late 1970's through the 1980's. He would often take things out of player's lockers once the season was over, which were left behind. One of the items he told me he had was "Cal Ripken Jr.'s Shaving Kit." When I saw it, I recognized it as being a cheap stadium giveaway item in Charlotte in 1980 and I had a hard time thinking Cal would still be using it once he reached the Major Leagues.

I did catch up with Cal recently and while I had given him a couple things to sign, I handed this Shaving Bag to him and asked if he remembered it. After asking me how the heck I came across it, he told me that he never used it as a shaving kit but RATHER how he used this bag to store his batting gloves through the minors and his first couple years in the Major Leagues!

Bill
    whhp72@yahoo.com

Re: Unique Cal Ripken Item/Story

Bill, thanks for sharing that is a really unique piece from very early in Cal's career.
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.