Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

OT: Most Unusual Autographed item

What the most unusual item you have had autographed and what was the players reaction.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Banned

Re: OT: Most Unusual Autographed item

I can't say it is completely unusual but I had Darryl Strawberry sign his High School Yearbook.
    He was a bit shocked, but thought it was cool because he said he hasn't seen it in years and he started looking over the pages and reminiscing his past.

I have two guitars - one acoustic and one electric - that I've had signed by various players.

Don't laugh, but the acoustic one is signed by several WWE wrestlers. Best reaction was a guy named Kofi Kingston (born in Ghana but playing a Jamaican character). He was so fascinated because he's a fan of Guitar Hero. I didn't get the chance to ask him if he played himself.

The electric guitar is signed by various people - Jason Whitten, Martellus Bennett, Chad Campbell (PGA golfer), Rory Sabbatini and Tommy Lee Jones (the actor). None of them had an overwhelming reaction that I recall.

Thanks.

Kyle

A few years ago, I went to a Hacksaw Jim Duggan signing, and I got him to sign a football. He played college football at SMU. Everybody else in line had either 8x10 photos or 2x4 pieces of lumber like he used while wrestling. I'm pretty sure I was the only one that had a football.

My wife went to a seminar and the guest speaker was Mike 'Pinball' Clemons the CFL'er. She didn't know he was the speaker until the morning of the meeting and the only thing I had in the car at the time was a box of golfballs.

He was kind of surprised by it and said he was a terrible golfer and that he hadn't signed many if any golfballs before that time. But he had a laugh about it and signed it for her.

Another guy at the meeting told my wife Clemons was a fottball player, not a golfer!

jrd, that's a good story. That was funny.

A few months back, U.S. Smokeless Tobacco sent us some copies of a Playboy issue that they sponsored. The regular cover was on the front but the back was also a cover. A girl - all nude - with strategically placed Skoal cans. One of the stories highlighted on the cover was about Walt Garrison.

Less than a month after that, we had a surprise party of a dignitary here in Fort Worth. I was walking through the room and there's Walt talking to Fort Worth Mayor Mike Moncrief. I walked back to my desk and grabbed the issue. I tapped Walt on the shoulder and made some crack about him being in Playboy. He laughed and said "Where the hell did you get that?!" About that time, Mayor Moncrief's wife saw the issue and took it out of my hands and started flipping through it like a 12-year-old schoolboy.

Kyle

This wasn't my item, but someone else's.

I was in line to get some things signed by Scott Hairston a few years ago, and the 20-ish woman in front of me asked him to sign a pair of purple (a team color at the time) DBacks thong underwear; then she had him pose with her (and the underwear) while a woman who was probably her mother snapped a photo.

He looked beyond embarrassed, and very uncomfortable. So as she walked away, I came up to the table and said, "Don't worry, Scotty, I'm not gonna ask you to sign my underwear." That got a good laugh from Hairston and several others, and he said, "Good, 'cause I'm afraid I'd have to say 'no'".

I haven't had an opportunity to get these signed yet, but I have three of Matt Williams' golf bags - the nice ones they give to the players at some celebrity golf tournaments, that they use once and then give away or auction for charity - that I'm going to one day get autographed.

Not the oddest thing I've heard of, but when asked Fergie Jenkins said the strangest thing anyone asked him to sign at a show was a baseball without the leather cover.

A friend of my used to be neighbors with Kelly Shoppach. Kelly was over at his place and they ordered a pizza. As a joke Kelly signed the pizza box.
    Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.

Mr.3000

I wouldn't say unusual...but being unprepared to get a signature of an athlete can be weird.

I think it was 1987, I met Tom Seaver. Had nothing for him to sign..so I asked him to sign the shirt I was wearing. It was just a white t-shirt. I had it hanging on my wall for a few years until I gave it to my cousin. Fun memory though