Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MLB Authentication vs. seller's word

I recently purchased a jersey off Ebay which the seller claimed was game worn and autographed. To support this, the seller provided a MLB authentication number and there was also an auction house JSA letter. Everything looked good until I got the jersey and went to print the MLB information for my records. According to the MLB site, the jersey is listed as an autographed jersey with no mention of game worn, or even game issued.

I contacted the seller who insist that MLB authentication is often wrong and in cases where the jersey is both game worn and autographed “the MLB Hologram does not always list the entire history of the piece”. He also went on to say that there are other sellers who purchased these jerseys from the auction house who have sold them as game worn also (like two wrongs make a right?).

He claims that the auction house listed them as game used and he is going by their word, yet the JSA cert is a direct copy of the auction house listing and does not say or show game used anywhere on it. He also tried to say that I got a steal and that he had paid much more for the jersey (which I pulled up the listing from the auction house and see is a lie).

When I questioned all of this, the seller told me that I should have asked questions before bidding and that he is confident in his listing.

My question first is, how bad has the MLB site gotten and would I even consider believing the seller with his stories? I do not collect autographs (prefer my gamers unsigned), and would have no use for this jersey based on what the MLB and auction house list it as.

Thanks for any help and I will likely submit an Ebay dispute to try to avoid this jersey.

Re: MLB Authentication vs. seller's word

I bought a very nice Akinori Iwamura game use bat at the Devil Rays Fan Fest 2008. Th bat is cracked and shows tons of use. It is MLB Authenticated, however only the autograph is authenticated, because the bat did not go from the field to the authenticator. They only witnessed the signing.

Also some items never get entered into the database.

So your best bet is to be your own authenticator.

Also post pics for help from the forum.

Does the jersey show any use or washings?

I would not worry too much.

Good luck!
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

I agree with the last post that MLB authentication many times does not show the game worn/use status.

I received a jersey thru a charity auction at the Cleveland Indians Stadium. It was game worn and autographed with the MLB sticker. Same thing, got home and printed the certificate and it only showed "autographed". I called the team, and they assured me it was game worn, but that MLB authenticators weren't on site to authenticate.

They save up the jerseys to make sure autographs are done in front of the authenticators.

I too have had experiences where the MLB database is either incorrect or incomplete. This includes a bat that is authenticated just for the signature but is definitely game used as well as a jersey that was authenticated as signed but mine showed good use and had the correct tagging, etc.

One of the reasons I feel this way is because I have not known mlb authenticators to authenticate public signings. I could be wrong but most everything I have seen that comes with a mlb hologram came directly from the teams. So it appears likely that the jersey is at least game issued or maybe game used depending on how much use it shows.

This is different from other signings like Upper Deck. Upper Deck does signings for atheletes (Lebron, Jordan, etc) at which the athelete will sign items that are submitted by the public. I see a ton of game used shoes on ebay where Lebron has signed them and people try to imply that the authentication from Upper Deck is for the game use and the signature when the paperwork clearly states the authentication is just for the signature. My advise would be if you are comfortable with the other aspects of the jersey it appears most likely that the mlb database may be incorrect.

However, I would be interested to see the paperwork from the other auction house that did not state it as game used, that may change my opinion. I am sure others will chime in with more info on if MLB authenticates signings that include outside items.

Good luck!

Zipster, I would love to know what jersey you won from the Indians...I am a big tribe collector.

Quote Originally Posted by jppopma View Post
    I recently purchased a jersey off Ebay which the seller claimed was game worn and autographed. To support this, the seller provided a MLB authentication number and there was also an auction house JSA letter. Everything looked good until I got the jersey and went to print the MLB information for my records. According to the MLB site, the jersey is listed as an autographed jersey with no mention of game worn, or even game issued.

I contacted the seller who insist that MLB authentication is often wrong and in cases where the jersey is both game worn and autographed “the MLB Hologram does not always list the entire history of the piece”. He also went on to say that there are other sellers who purchased these jerseys from the auction house who have sold them as game worn also (like two wrongs make a right?).

He claims that the auction house listed them as game used and he is going by their word, yet the JSA cert is a direct copy of the auction house listing and does not say or show game used anywhere on it. He also tried to say that I got a steal and that he had paid much more for the jersey (which I pulled up the listing from the auction house and see is a lie).

When I questioned all of this, the seller told me that I should have asked questions before bidding and that he is confident in his listing.

My question first is, how bad has the MLB site gotten and would I even consider believing the seller with his stories? I do not collect autographs (prefer my gamers unsigned), and would have no use for this jersey based on what the MLB and auction house list it as.

Thanks for any help and I will likely submit an Ebay dispute to try to avoid this jersey.
    personally i would filed a dispute with paypal and get my money back. id would argue the item is not a described.

it would have been ideal to have looked up the number prior to bidding but if the mlb authentication is an autograph sessions its not guaranteeing anything but the autograph.

i guess it all comes down to how the item was described. i would never take a sellers word without doing some investigation myself such as checking the mlb database and asking more questions.

good luck.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Thanks guys. I should have mentioned that it's an all star warm up jersey, so there is little to no use, as would be expected.

My main concern is that both the auction house and the MLB cert list it only as autographed. The specs all match up, but for the all star game, they may order alot of extras to have signed or other purposes short of being team issued.

Quote Originally Posted by dcgreg25 View Post
    I am sure others will chime in with more info on if MLB authenticates signings that include outside items.

Good luck!

I can tell you that MLB authenticates outside items at public signings like the ones held at Fanfest.

Quote Originally Posted by jppopma View Post
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]

this irks me the most. so if someone incorrectly describes a similar item you have for sale it is ok?

try to get your money back.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

There have been other threads on here about All Star warm-up jerseys..knowing that I would suggest you file a dispute and get your money back.