Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you ever worry?

Just sitting back having a drink and thinking about the hobby I love.

Am I the only one who compares today's game used hobby like the 1980's baseball card scene?

What is realy rare now a day's? Seems all the stars sell there gamers for huge fees and go through almost a hundred bats a year. Will the bat's retain value when everyone has one?

I am not into collecting for the money. I just wanted a bat from every position player on the 2005 Chicago White Sox World Series Team (Which I am happy to say I finially achieved this year) but I still think of my next collection.

What of the next steriod outing. Who will be stuck holding the bag on bats over valued?

Just thinking about this and thought I would see what the members thought.

I leave you with this picture because I simply like to share it.

My 2005 Sox set. I know it is small compared to others but I like it!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Glen

Re: Do you ever worry?

I dont collect for the money either...I collect everything with the intention of keeping it and adding it to my collection...sometimes I do get bored and trade or sell them. I dont really worry the worth of these items are going to be destroyed like the baseball cards of the past because all of these bats are 1 of a kind in my mind if they are game used. It is whatever it means to you, and a collection like yours of the 2005 White Sox WS team is awesome and I love your case I dont think the value of something like that would ever go down, and it defidently wont loose any value to you.

That is an incredible collection of bats. How much did that cost you including the case? Again, great collection, one of the neatest things I've seen.

The bats were picked up individually over the course of three years. I wish I kept track of the cost better. The case I built myself in the garage. I usd left over wood from another project when I built some cabinets for my home office. Once built and stained I lined it in felt for a couple bucks.

That is an awesome way to display your bats. I might have to do something like that to keep the lil woman happy. Right now. in the hallway, i have wood racks installed closest to my office.

I apologize for hijacking the thread away from the topic, although briefly. Glen, what did you install in the display case to hold the bats? Did you just cut/drill a length of wood?

With regard to the original question, there is little doubt in my mind that players and teams alike are more mindful of game used items being a source of revenue. With that, in the not so distant future, the tide on items from this decade will turn for the worse. I would draw the equivalent of this being 1987/1988 and Donruss is just getting ready to ruin the industry by printing a billion cards. I would not view anything from the last 10 years as an investment in anything other than the joy looking at it brings to you.
    email is matmuell at umich.edu

Quote Originally Posted by mattmueller View Post

With regard to the original question, there is little doubt in my mind that players and teams alike are more mindful of game used items being a source of revenue. With that, in the not so distant future, the tide on items from this decade will turn for the worse. I would draw the equivalent of this being 1987/1988 and Donruss is just getting ready to ruin the industry by printing a billion cards. I would not view anything from the last 10 years as an investment in anything other than the joy looking at it brings to you.

Two differences I see with the card and game used in the future even if there is a larger supply:

1) cards are manfactured collectables while game used equipment are essential to the game.

2) for a given year, the supply of game used equipment will not outdistance the demand.

I do see concern about game used equipment that are identical to the items fans can buy at retail (ie. hats, procuts )
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoglen View Post
    Just sitting back having a drink and thinking about the hobby I love.

Am I the only one who compares today's game used hobby like the 1980's baseball card scene?

What is realy rare now a day's? Seems all the stars sell there gamers for huge fees and go through almost a hundred bats a year. Will the bat's retain value when everyone has one?

I am not into collecting for the money. I just wanted a bat from every position player on the 2005 Chicago White Sox World Series Team (Which I am happy to say I finially achieved this year) but I still think of my next collection.

What of the next steriod outing. Who will be stuck holding the bag on bats over valued?

Just thinking about this and thought I would see what the members thought.

I leave you with this picture because I simply like to share it.

My 2005 Sox set. I know it is small compared to others but I like it!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Glen
    glen,

amazing display. i am working on a display myself. i hope my display gives me enjoyment too.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

I'm not a huge fan of modern day players but if the game-used market busts then I'll be there to pick-up the unwanted pieces at discount prices . I like the fact that I can buy cards for a fraction of the price that they went for back in the early 90s. I collect for the fun of it and I happily overpay for stuff I know I will keep forever or at least attempt to.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    Two differences I see with the card and game used in the future even if there is a larger supply:

1) cards are manfactured collectables while game used equipment are essential to the game.

2) for a given year, the supply of game used equipment will not outdistance the demand.

I do see concern about game used equipment that are identical to the items fans can buy at retail (ie. hats, procuts )
    Game used equipment is currently somewhat of a manufactured commodity. How about the thread in the auction section about the 4th Pujols helmet of the year being auctioned by MLB. $4,000 for something that is on pace to have 8 identical items hit the market in one year? What about the stories that Gary Sheffield was changing jerseys before each at bat leading up to his 500th HR? Sure, there will always be demand for items no matter the number available, but at what price? Essential to playing the game or not, I can not see how the demand stays at the current high price levels when an ample supply can be created with such relative ease. Ample can turn to excess pretty easily.
    email is matmuell at umich.edu