Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Ebay bidding shenanigans? What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
    From the story, what jumps out at me is the bid of $169.99. I personally don't think someone is trying to win an item with such a bid. It makes no sense... are they thinking someone else might be bidding $169.98?

No.....They are making DARN sure that a bid for $170.00 or higher wins.

Look.....I'd bet the home deed that it's one of two scenarios:

-The seller has an ID he is using to essentially "guarantee" a level reached.....or no sale;

-It's what Matt, the poster of this thread, has already deduced.....shill bidding by a friend, family member, etc.

There IS NO other logical explanation.

I did not conclude that there was shill bidding going on, although the original fact pattern made it seem that it was potentially going on. I have communicated with the bidder in question and there are reasonable explanations for their activity.
    email is matmuell at umich.edu

Quote Originally Posted by mattmueller View Post
    I did not conclude that there was shill bidding going on, although the original fact pattern made it seem that it was potentially going on. I have communicated with the bidder in question and there are reasonable explanations for their activity.

Matt,

PLEASE tell me you're kidding......please?

Look, I don't care what the seller is telling you.......SOMEONE is bidding on this guys stuff to keep it at a certain level, and it ISN'T some guy who ONLY wants it at a certain price......OK?

If that's what he told you, he's LYING.....because if that were the case, he's work out an off-ebay deal with the guy and sell him as many of these items as he wants.

WHY?

Because if he's ok with selling these for these prices, WHY continue to sell them for possibly a little less, and STILL HAVE TO PAY ebay's fees on each sell???

C'MON man, use your head.....you are letting some filthy cheat snowball you.

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    Matt,

PLEASE tell me you're kidding......please?

Look, I don't care what the seller is telling you.......SOMEONE is bidding on this guys stuff to keep it at a certain level, and it ISN'T some guy who ONLY wants it at a certain price......OK?

If that's what he told you, he's LYING.....because if that were the case, he's work out an off-ebay deal with the guy and sell him as many of these items as he wants.

WHY?

Because if he's ok with selling these for these prices, WHY continue to sell them for possibly a little less, and STILL HAVE TO PAY ebay's fees on each sell???

C'MON man, use your head.....you are letting some filthy cheat snowball you.

And let me clarify AGAIN what I mean by "seller".....

This so called "buyer" or "bidder" or whatever you want to call him.......IS the seller, or a darn close relative or friend or........you get the picture.

what's the problem with telling us who the seller is. All you did was state facts you didn't slander anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmueller View Post
    As it turns out the correct answer is A, dedicated fan of the superstar who only wants authentic items at a certain price and only from XYZ. B***X bid on the identical item after already winning one because they wanted two of them. Turns out that it is not really that hard to look at the seller's history and winning bidders to decode the B***X system, find that ebayer and shoot them a quick message. Of course they could be lying, but their bids have not shown up in the most recent auction, and the price ended below $150.

Matt

That's because YOU called them on their scam, Matt. They had to do SOMEthing to redirect.......and this "buyer" probably QUICKLY called his dad/brother performing the auctions, and said "HEY, I had better not bid on this one at the same level.....WE'RE BEING WATCHED!!"

Why don't you tell us who the seller is, and what the item is......I think someone mentioned....a bat? I'd like to check out this ficticious bidding history stuff for myself. I'd like to see the "feedback exchanged" between the two.

Matt,

I agree with Squeeze. You can only take a person's word for what it is worth. When you don't know who that person is, it is even harder. I also think that the "buyer" is related to the seller; and in turn, will tell you a pretty convincing story.

If seller A is using buyer B to shill their items. Of course buyer B will make up a very nice story about the items and hype them up as much as possible for seller A. I would not be suprised if he didn't tell you that he was only bidding because the first one he bought was just so darn perfect that he needed another one....

It's you money dude, but we are just trying to look out for you.

JP

Quote Originally Posted by Swoboda4 View Post
    what's the problem with telling us who the seller is. All you did was state facts you didn't slander anyone.
    Exactly........c'mon.....cough it up....

This is one of the oldest tricks in the eBay book i.e. a seller (or their proxy) bids an item up to the point where the seller is willing to sell it to someone else. By doing so, the seller effectively sets a reserve price without paying the eBay Reserve Fee.

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com

There is something about the fire, ready, aim mentality on the forum lately that is a bit off, in my humble opinion. Since I am satisfied with the explanation and do not believe there is anything shady going on, I see no reason to identify the seller or buyer.
    email is matmuell at umich.edu