Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Ebay bidding shenanigans? What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by mattmueller View Post
    There is something about the fire, ready, aim mentality on the forum lately that is a bit off, in my humble opinion. Since I am satisfied with the explanation and do not believe there is anything shady going on, I see no reason to identify the seller or buyer.

Matt,

No problem. It's not important if we know.

But I am curious....you started this thread, and you seemed to be on track for exposing something amiss. Now you are taking a 180 degree about face on what more than a few friendly members have identified as a gimmick response for shill bidding.

What was your reasoning for starting the thread and asking for our thoughts in the first place then?

Baiting us so you can comment on our mentality? That doesn't seem logical. So.....what's up? I have always thought you to be a reasonable forum member, and still do. But you seem to be eerilly off on your conclusion. You may be right.......but most of us feel it's just not likely.

Squeeze: The point in asking other's opinions was to see what other people thought. I thought something odd was going on, was bored at work one day so I started off the thread. After having a few more facts come to light shortly thereafter, it no longer appears to me to be an issue. This was not just a case of the suspicious bidder simply telling me that they want to own more than one of the items being bid on, I am not quite that dumb/naive. It was the explanation provided and the ability to look at their bidding and buying feedback for a period of more than the last 31 days allowed by the disguised bidder history in each auction. If I had that information from the start, it would not have been an issue to begin with. If the odd bidding occurs again in the future with no reasonable explanation, I will let people know to be wary of the seller's auctions.

I have not gone 180 degrees on the subject at all. I may have hinted that I thought there was shill bidding, but I was not in the 100%, has to be shady business going on camp. If I was in that camp, I would have approached the subject much differently. Frankly, I am not 100% in the everything is fine camp yet either, just comfortable enough with the situation to not start accusing people of shady business. If you think I am an idiot, I guess I am ok with that.

Also, if I wanted to start a thread on people's mentality, I would just start a thread on it, or add to any of the others that are already out there. That said, I do find some of the responses interesting.

Matt
    email is matmuell at umich.edu

Quote Originally Posted by mattmueller View Post
    Squeeze: The point in asking other's opinions was to see what other people thought. I thought something odd was going on, was bored at work one day so I started off the thread. After having a few more facts come to light shortly thereafter, it no longer appears to me to be an issue. This was not just a case of the suspicious bidder simply telling me that they want to own more than one of the items being bid on, I am not quite that dumb/naive. It was the explanation provided and the ability to look at their bidding and buying feedback for a period of more than the last 31 days allowed by the disguised bidder history in each auction. If I had that information from the start, it would not have been an issue to begin with. If the odd bidding occurs again in the future with no reasonable explanation, I will let people know to be wary of the seller's auctions.

I have not gone 180 degrees on the subject at all. I may have hinted that I thought there was shill bidding, but I was not in the 100%, has to be shady business going on camp. If I was in that camp, I would have approached the subject much differently. Frankly, I am not 100% in the everything is fine camp yet either, just comfortable enough with the situation to not start accusing people of shady business. If you think I am an idiot, I guess I am ok with that.

Also, if I wanted to start a thread on people's mentality, I would just start a thread on it, or add to any of the others that are already out there. That said, I do find some of the responses interesting.

Matt

Matt,

In referring to the two comments of yours I highlighted above, please consider the following:

I do not think you're an idiot. Your opinion and conclusions are yours, and you are certainly entitled to them without having to have any backlash for them.

In regards to the first highlighted comment, my opinion is after expressing your view on what you find to be the answer to what was going on there.....I don't believe anyone would bother commenting on any further "odd bidding" activity with this seller's items. We know what's going on.

Further more, you have chosen to "protect" (for lack of a better word) this seller by refraining to share what the item is, or tell us who he is.....so really, after we gave our opinions to you, what else is there to talk about? Nothing.

You feel you have it figured out, and believe what you have been told, so more power to you. There would be nothing to gain by rehashing the same circumstances at a later time.

See you on another thread partner.